Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck in recovery mode, what's my best option to get my ECID into the promised land?

Default Stuck in recovery mode, what's my best option to get my ECID into the promised land?
    Hi All, my 3GS with 3.0 was stuck in a boot cycle, and various efforts to snap it out of it seem to have stuck me in recovery mode. I don't need an unlock, but I can't live without a jailbreak.

If I restore to 3.1 now, with an edited host file pointing to Saurik's server, will this save my ECID file for future jailbreaks? Or is the Cydia link the only way to do it? Also, if i'm stuck in recovery mode, there's no point in me waiting for a possible 3GS pwnage tool, is there?

Many thanks for any answers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If your phone was jailbroken before you got stuck all you have to do is restore to a pwned custom 3.0 or 3.0.1 IPSW and you'll be good to go. At that point you can open Cydia and save your ECID.

but Itunes wouldnt let the restore process go through, it would have to verify the restore, and he cannot point to sauriks servers becasue his ecid is not on file.

Im in the same boat, my 3.0.1 3gs jailbroken and unlocked got stuck and needs a restore, I know saurik does not have my ECIDD on file, although I did save mine on my laptop before i jailbroke, I cannot restore to 3.1 because I will lose my unlock. I think I just have to wait it out right?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    If your phone was jailbroken before you got stuck all you have to do is restore to a pwned custom 3.0 or 3.0.1 IPSW and you'll be good to go. At that point you can open Cydia and save your ECID.
    My phone was jailbroken alright, but as ahmadj says, don't I need a custom 3.1 with my 3GS because Apple won't approve anything else? Which isn't available until Pwnage tool is ready for the 3GS, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    no. apple is not signing anything other than 3.1 firmware restores

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadj View Post
    but Itunes wouldnt let the restore process go through, it would have to verify the restore, and he cannot point to sauriks servers becasue his ecid is not on file.

Im in the same boat, my 3.0.1 3gs jailbroken and unlocked got stuck and needs a restore, I know saurik does not have my ECIDD on file, although I did save mine on my laptop before i jailbroke, I cannot restore to 3.1 because I will lose my unlock. I think I just have to wait it out right?
    This happened to me, I used redsn0w to re-jailbreak and everything was fine.

I'm not sure what poseidon means though since there was never a Pwnagetool version for 3GS/3.0, only redsn0w, so customized versions of 3.0 (or 3.0.1) for 3GS don't exist AFAIK.
    Last edited by zoyd; 2009-09-17 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
    This happened to me, I used redsn0w to re-jailbreak and everything was fine.

I'm not sure what poseidon means though since there was never a Pwnagetool version for 3GS/3.0, only redsn0w, so customized versions of 3.0 (or 3.0.1) for 3GS don't exist AFAIK.
    Yeah, I tried jailbreaking again, no joy i'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by donrosco View Post
    Yeah, I tried jailbreaking again, no joy i'm afraid.
    Took me a couple of tries, redsn0w complete any of the process? Can you SSH into the phone?
    The other thing you can try is iRecovery to setenv auto-boot true

If you don't care about unlock you can upgrade to 3.1 and wait for JB. Add the redirect to your hosts file and Saurik's server will log your transaction during the upgrade.
    Last edited by zoyd; 2009-09-17 at 02:01 PM.

I tried a couple of times, and I think it completed on the second time. Still stuck in a reboot cycle after that, then I tried irecovery, and since then i've been stuck in recovery mode. I was able to SSH before that, I haven't tried since recovery mode. I'll probably wait a day or two to see if the Dev Team finish pwnagetool for 3GS, then maybe upgrade via Saurik's server as you say...

running iphone 3gs wif 3.1 wat to downgrade to watever i dunn care as long as it is jb-able just want my fone jb if someone can help much appreciated

Your 3GS will not accept anything or custom ipsw other than 3.1 !! How mean is Apple !.

I do not think the JB tool for 3GS 3.1 can come in 1 or 2 day !

Thanks

Did you try iRecovery to boot out of recovery mode?

I did try iRecovery when it was stuck in the boot loop, but not since it's been in recovery mode. Would you have an idea what commands should I try in iRecovery?