Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My Successful Downgrade [3.1 to 3.0 on 3G] WITH Carrier Network (Canada>Rogers-Fido)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default My Successful Downgrade [3.1 to 3.0 on 3G] WITH Carrier Network (Canada>Rogers-Fido)
    Hi all, First & foremost I would like to give a shout out to Saurik for figuring out Apple's Signature Server, and also to Bondkt on ModiMyIphone who gave me the last piece to the puzzle.

You can read about Saurik's solution here:

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

And you can read Bondkt's post here:

http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...network-2.html

Ok - so down to the steps that I did to get my Rogers and Fido phones working.

I have done this now 4 times on my phone and also on friends & family phones with the same success consistently.

There are some posts out there that mention that you do MIGHT NOT have to do ALL of these steps, but I've found that if you are not 100% sure of what was done BEFORE doing these steps, instead of trying to guess, just to do all the steps anyways, as it might only take an extra 5 to 10 minutes all of the steps that are considered “extra”.

The perfect example of this would be that I've been playing with my phone since before Sept 12th and my buddy since Sept 9th and we must of upgraded / downgraded / DFU'ed / Restored DOZENS of times before we got it right with the help of forums & YouTube & the community. We've always been successful getting the firmware back down to / up to version 3.0, however we would always lose our carrier network connectivity after the Jailbreak / Downgrade process, until now.

Here are my environment settings (from iPhone "Settings" > "About" screen):

Code:
    Phone          =          iPhone 3G - 8 GB - Black
    Network        =          Rogers (or Fido)
    Line           =          Rogers (or Fido)
    Version        =          3.0 (7A341)
    Carrier        =          Rogers 4.0
    Model          =          MB629C
    Modem Firmware =          05.11.07
    (Baseband)

Here are the software apps that I used:

iTunes version 8.1.1:
    (Newer version of iTunes like 8.2.x or 9.x will probably work as well, but I did not test these. Try your current version of iTunes, and if it does not work, do a full Uninstall iTunes via Windows "Add / Remove Program", and Re-Install iTunes using version linked below)
    Click Here for iTunes version 8.1.1 from MegaUpload

iPhone 3.1 Firmware:
    Click Here for iPhone 3.1 Firmware from MegaUpload

iPhone 3.0 Firmware:
    Click Here for iPhone 3.0 Firmware from MegaUpload

QuickPwn App:
    Click Here for QuickPwn App from MediaFire

Redsn0w App:
    Click Here for Redsn0w App from MegaUpload

(Optional) DFU Force:
    Click Here for DFU Force App from MegaUpload

*** NOTE: the iPhone Firmware Links above are ONLY for iPhone 3G and NOT iPhone 2G or iPhone 3Gs. If you are not using an iPhone 3G, please find the same version firmware built specifically for your phone.

Step by Step:

1. Connect your phone to your PC via USB and launch iTunes

2. Get your phone into DFU mode (2 different ways)

----a. Instructional Article: How_To:_Enter_DFU_Restore_Mode

----b. Software App Tool: DFU Force

3. iTunes will recognize that your iPhone is in recovery mode

4. In iTunes, while holding down SHIFT on your keyboard, mouse-click on the RESTORE button.

5. Browse to and select your iPhone 3.1 Firmware.

6. Sit back and let Update run. This will take a few minute while you see Apple logo on your iPhone with Progress bar.

7. After this restore, and the phone boots up, you SHOULD have Carrier Network Services. In our cases, it is either Rogers or Fido, but it should be whatever carrier your SIM card is set to.

*** NOTE: At this point, if you are still not connected to your respective Carrier Network, then I would suggest you do not continue further with these steps. You could of course repeat Steps 1 to 7 again if you have any doubts, but if you still are not connecting, then these steps no longer apply to you and you should start doing research for an alternative method.

8. Close iTunes.

9. Open your Windows "hosts" file with NOTEPAD. Typical location:

Code:
    C:WindowsSystem32driversetchosts
    Here's an example of what the "hosts" file looks like:

10. Add the following line to the END of your "hosts" file:

Code:
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    11. Save & Close your "hosts" file.

12. Re-Launch your iTunes.

13. Do another RESTORE as you did in steps 2 to 6 > However this type select iPhone Firmware version 3.0

14. At the end of the Update (similar to process in Step 6), you will get an error in iTunes - DON'T WORRY, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN:

Code:
    The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015).

15. Clear the error in iTunes by clicking "OK". Your phone should now be in RECOVERY mode (and not DFU mode). See image below. If you are not sure what mode your iPhone is in, just put it back into DFU mode as explained in step 2.

16. You now need to REPEAT for a SECOND time the RESTORE process as explained in Step 13, RE-Selecting the iPhone Firmware version 3.0. You will be essentially repeating steps 4 to 6 AGAIN, except for the firmware version.

17. You will ONCE AGAIN see the SAME error as you did in Step 14. ONCE MORE, THIS IS NORMAL AND YOU SHOULDN'T WORRY.

18. Close iTunes.

*** NOTE: Read Steps 19 to 23 in advance before continuing.

19. Launch QuickPwn, BUT DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING ELSE. (Read all of Step 20 before continuing)

20. You should see a standard Windows window (and not the QuickPwn app) pop up and instruct you to "...hold home button \ sleep wake button for 15 secs etc..." >>> Go ahead and do this, AS SOON as you see the Apple Logo appear on your iPhone, go ahead and click "OK" button on the dialog window. DO NOT CLICK "OK" UNTIL YOU SEE THE APPLE LOGO.

21. After you click on "OK" in the MS Windows message box, pay attention to your iPhone. You should see a progress bar VERY BREIFLY as shown in Step 6.

22. Once complete, you should arrive at a screen similar to the one below (message in blue box might be different):

23. Once your iPhone gets to your "Lock" screen, you can exit QuickPwn Completely.

24. You may or may not at this point now have a working iPhone on Firmware version 3.0, while still being able to connect to your respective Carrier Network. This step was NOT consistent, sometimes the iPhone would remain in recovery mode, while other times it would be fully functionally. THIS DOES NOT MATTER, since your phone is still not fully JAILBROKEN at this point.

25. Launch Redsn0w.

26. There are several very good illustrated guides out there already:

----Guide 1: Jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 Firmware with redsn0w

----Guide 2: [ame="http://www.iphonemodding.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2920"]iPhoneModding Guide to redsn0w[/ame]

----Guide 3: redsn0w Jailbreak Guide for iPhone using Windows

27. It is interesting to NOTE that on about 50% of the phones that we did, redsn0w would FREEZE or LOCK UP between the "Installing Bundles" and "Syncing Filesystems". THIS IS OK. Just run redsn0w a second time (Steps 25 to 26) and you will be fine.

*** THAT'S IT *** YOU'RE DONE ***
    *** ENJOY YOUR UnLocked / JailBroken iPHONE ***

Last edited by chrischarles2002; 2009-09-16 at 10:33 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chrischarles2002 For This Useful Post:

greaseball75 (2009-09-18), j4m3s13 (2010-01-30), lknaoty (2009-09-28), robzilla (2009-10-10), trrybigd4 (2009-10-12)

Note: 3G, not 3G[s]

Dear Christ,

I'm stuck at step 21, after I see the apple logo, clicked ok on the desktop, then I saw the bar, after that the iphone screen back to the black screen with the apple logo and nothing happen, do you have any advice?

turn the phone off, connect it to your computer and run redsn0w 0.8 using 3.0 firmware.

after you follow the dfu prompt, it should start jailbreaking your phone. redsn0w will most likely freeze during "waiting to reboot" just simply unplug the usb from the phone and re-plug it in immediately, redsn0w should then finish patching the kernel and uploading ramdisk. once it's done, quit redsn0w.

make sure to keep the usb connected and let the on-screen process do its thing. once a pwnapple logo appears on your phone screen, pay attention to the loading bar, it will most likely freeze again during "installing bundles" or "installing activation bundles". if it freezes during "installing activation bundles", then it's speculated that you may have somehow updated the modem firmware or baseband to 3.1's 5.11.07 (unlockable atm), if you know for certain that you are still on baseband 4.XX.XX then use iRecovery to manually set auto-boot to true prior to running redsn0w again. simply running redsn0w again will jailbreak without any problems.
    Last edited by subnetwork; 2009-09-17 at 12:06 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to subnetwork For This Useful Post:

dasweetdude (2009-09-23)

Suppose if you are using iPhone 3G...you don't need to patch your hosts file as the machanism of contacting Apple for firmware signage doesn't exist in iPhone 3G?

thanks guy, I was successfully downgrade to Iphone OS3.0, but my modern firmware still 05.11.07, is possible can I have my network signal back?

Of course this will work for a 3G. No big deal, not 3GS. Actually some many steps are not really necessary. 3GS is the real difficult one. So far the only working method I see is Saurik's method with one's ECID SHSH on file' in Cydia before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thanks guy, I was successfully downgrade to Iphone OS3.0, but my modern firmware still 05.11.07, is possible can I have my network signal back?
    Yes - these were the only steps that allowed me to get back onto the Rogers & Fido networks in Canada. It has now worked on a total of 9 3G (and not 3GS) phones.

...you don't need to patch your hosts file as the machanism of contacting Apple for firmware signage...
    Peeps are correct > the "hosts" file change is NOT necessary, I was just being overly cautious after the frustration was settling in after 2 days of no network.

I'm just sharing what worked for us (3G phones).

N'ways, from what I'm seeing around the way, there is a new Ultrasn0w that might be up & working, so this post is sure to become obsolete in the near future.

If this area is 3gs section why is 3g stuff here gona confuse people most people dont read properly and may result in brick it

Would you know how to do the same steps using Mac??

The only problem I've had after successfully downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0 on iPhone 3GS & jailbreaking, is that when I enter cydia and download upgrades, I then proceed to install repo666.ulrasn0w.com. When I'm done, I go and install and after it says reboot device, when I do that, I loose my carrier! Can someone help me with that?? Is repo666.ultrasn0w.com really necesary??

So I got my iPhone back from the apple store and they updated it to 3.1 and the firmware was updated to 5.11.07, would this method help me unlock and jailbreak so i can use T-Mobile? I am just a little unsure guys.
    3.1 and stuck with an expensive ipod touch instead of an iphone 3g

Firmware: 3.1
    Modem Firmware: 5.11.07

does anyone know of a quickpwn alternative for mac? to solve the 1015 error
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Default iRecovery??!
    hi!
    ok so i'm not the most computer literate person in the world but just desperate to get my iPhone 3g re-jailbroken.
    So origionally tried downgrading and jailbraking and was successful but had no network coverage. So now i'm attempting to use iRecovery while in recovery mode before jailbraking and I'm having serious troubles..

I have downloaded iRecovery for windows but can't figure out how to use it or what to do.... can someone please help!!!
    thanks!

You are a LEGEND!!!!!

I have spent the past 10 days trying everything to downgrade after I stupidly upgraded to 3.1!!!

I did get as far as getting back to 3.0 and Jailbreaking, but had no service.

So I thought I would give this a shot and it worked first time!!! Awesome guys!

Not sure if the un-lock worked, but I have Cydia and I have a phone that I can use!!

I owe you guys BIG TIME!!!

Thanks again for all the hard work!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikenmiamishop View Post
    Would you know how to do the same steps using Mac??
    No - I'm sorry, I have no experiance with iPhones & Macs

Quote Originally Posted by greaseball75 View Post
    The only problem I've had after successfully downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0 on iPhone 3GS & jailbreaking, is that when I enter cydia and download upgrades, I then proceed to install repo666.ulrasn0w.com. When I'm done, I go and install and after it says reboot device, when I do that, I loose my carrier! Can someone help me with that?? Is repo666.ultrasn0w.com really necesary??
    Hmmmmmm - I haven;t installed UltraSn0w yet on any of the iPhones that I been successful with > it was not necessary since the network came up fine everytime using the steps I wrote.

Are you able to do the steps and have a FULLY functional iPhone - without installing UltraSn0w?

Quote Originally Posted by leetsingh View Post
    So I got my iPhone back from the apple store and they updated it to 3.1 and the firmware was updated to 5.11.07, would this method help me unlock and jailbreak so i can use T-Mobile? I am just a little unsure guys.
    It has worked so far with all the 3G phones that we've done > about 17 total so far.

Remember this is ONLY for 3G iPhones (and not 3Gs) that have ALREADY been updated beyond the 05.08.x baseband.

Look at my "environment" settings at the begining of my original post and compare to your own iPhone.
    Last edited by chrischarles2002; 2009-09-23 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

can we move this to general unlocking?

Quote Originally Posted by chrischarles2002 View Post
    No - I'm sorry, I have no experiance with iPhones & Macs

Hmmmmmm - I haven;t installed UltraSn0w yet on any of the iPhones that I been successful with > it was not necessary since the network came up fine everytime using the steps I wrote.

Are you able to do the steps and have a FULLY functional iPhone - without installing UltraSn0w?

It has worked so far with all the 3G phones that we've done > about 17 total so far.

Remember this is ONLY for 3G iPhones (and not 3Gs) that have ALREADY been updated beyond the 05.08.x baseband.

Look at my "environment" settings at the begining of my original post and compare to your own iPhone.
    You said this method is for 3G iphones that have been updated past the 05.08.x baseband? But if you revert to this method there is still not an unlock for those that are using an iphone on T-mobile

Hello I have a Iphone 3G. with 3.0 firmwre and baseband 05.11.07. i have jailbreak and unlock the phone but i cant use my sim card
    how do i fix or an i fix it?

Default So this is NOT an UNLOCK
    To clarify this IS NOT AN UNLOCK SOLUTION. This will allow you to downgrade the Firmware, but NOT the baseband (which is what must be downgraded to use ultrasn0w and unlock). Very deceptive title, you may want to change that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast