Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Caching Apple's signature server on a Mac... etc/hosts/ file question?

  1. #1
    Default Caching Apple's signature server on a Mac... etc/hosts/ file question?
    I tried using TextWrangler to open this file and it finds private/etc/hosts... is that the same file as the one referenced by Saurik in his blog post below?

    Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

    I want to make sure I'm editing the right file before doing so. Thanks for any feedback from Mac users!

  2. #2
    Yes that's the correct file, you may need to have root user enabled to save it, at the very least you will be asked for the administrators username and password.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to reholmes For This Useful Post:

    talkin73 (2009-09-16)

  4. #3
    Where's this under? I'm not finding it anywhere.

  5. #4
    Where's what the file or admin username etc?

  6. #5
    1. Login as Admninistrator
    2. Open up Terminal and paste sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts and press enter
    3. Type your password if it prompts
    4. When the hosts file opens up in TextEdit add 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the very end of the document
    5. Then go to File > Save and close TextEdit and type exit in Terminal
    6. You're all done!

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by subnetwork View Post
    1. Login as Admninistrator
    2. Open up Terminal and paste sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts and press enter
    3. Type your password if it prompts
    4. When the hosts file opens up in TextEdit add 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the very end of the document
    5. Then go to File > Save and close TextEdit and type exit in Terminal
    6. You're all done!
    Thanks! It seemed to work just fine. How will I know this has occurred and that the signature was received, etc by Cydia and registered?

    Quote Originally Posted by reholmes View Post
    Yes that's the correct file, you may need to have root user enabled to save it, at the very least you will be asked for the administrators username and password.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by talkin73; 2009-09-16 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #7
    so Saurik says in the article that now itunes will be talking to his server, instead of apple's. Does this mean that saurik server can now also cache our apple store ID and password?

  9. #8
    Adding the line to the hosts file doesn't now mean you can add your signature to Cydia or his servers, it means that when/if you downgrade your iPhone software to 3.0 the 'verifying with Apple...' bit will actually be verifying with Saurik who's server sends back the necessary acceptance if your ECID number is stored on his server. If you haven't added your ECID via the Cydia app already you can't do this process.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
    so Saurik says in the article that now itunes will be talking to his server, instead of apple's. Does this mean that saurik server can now also cache our apple store ID and password?
    I guess this may be possible in theory, however I suspect the information that is sent from iTunes doesn't actually include your iTunes username and password and so Saurik couldn't store it.
    Last edited by reholmes; 2009-09-16 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #9
    I looked through Cydia as best I could for the signature app process but couldn't find anything. From his article it sounds like it will again be possible for 3.1 when he's ready for that. But, I'm just uncertain about where in Cydia to do this??? Saurik mentioned doing it with 3.0 and I understood it was basically over... was there a clear app on the Cydia homepage that gave instructions and because I missed the timeframe I just didn't see that... like a "click here" kind of simple process for folks that got in previously?
    Last edited by talkin73; 2009-09-17 at 01:24 AM. Reason: forgot to quote

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by reholmes View Post
    Where's what the file or admin username etc?
    The 'hosts' file. I can't find an 'etc' folder unless its hidden. I copy and paste the "sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts" with and without the space after 'TextEdit' and nothing happens. Could it be due to Snow Leopard? I kinda doubt it but its an idea.

  12. #11
    Teh etc folder is hidden so you will either need to google 'showing hidden files on a mac' which should give you plenty of options or download a program called Smultron, which is what I use. It has an open hidden... option. It was free software when I downloaded sure it will be now.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by reholmes View Post
    Adding the line to the hosts file doesn't now mean you can add your signature to Cydia or his servers, it means that when/if you downgrade your iPhone software to 3.0 the 'verifying with Apple...' bit will actually be verifying with Saurik who's server sends back the necessary acceptance if your ECID number is stored on his server. If you haven't added your ECID via the Cydia app already you can't do this process.



    I guess this may be possible in theory, however I suspect the information that is sent from iTunes doesn't actually include your iTunes username and password and so Saurik couldn't store it.
    reholmes, is there a way to confirm that what I did to the file was done correctly and "worked" however it is supposed to work or does everyone just have to "hope for the best" ;-)???

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    reholmes, is there a way to confirm that what I did to the file was done correctly and "worked" however it is supposed to work or does everyone just have to "hope for the best" ;-)???
    You can test it by following the procedure in Sauriks blog Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik), if you have been successful at editing the file you will see the unknown error (3002) pop up which means you're files aren't stored with Saurik - this does at least tell you it's connecting correctly. If you get the 'apple can't verify, you may only restore to the latest software' message then you know the hosts file isn't correctly edited.

    Only do this if you are confident you understand the process required. It's not difficult but you could end up with a phone restored to the latest baseband and firmware. You MUST press and hold alt(on a mac, shift on windows) when pressing restore in iTunes that then asks you to locate the .ipsw file you have previously downloaded. If the next step after pressing restore is a message saying 'apple will restore and install the latest software' then cancel the process and so it again. It's imperative at this stage that you do not install apples firmware file.

    If in any doubt, do not do anything!

  15. #14
    Hey all,

    I've been doing a lot of reading this morning on this and trying to understand it. I have zero coding skills so it's difficult.

    I recently became interested in jailbreaking my 3GS... but after I upgraded to 3.1... I had no idea I wasn't supposed to upgrade through iTunes.

    By caching Apple's signiture server, what will this allow me to do, and how is it any different than waiting for the new redsn0w to come out and hashing my ECID through Cydia once I've jailbroken my phone?

    Any advice would be awesome!
    Should I just sit tight and wait for the new redsn0w to come out?

  16. #15
    First of all, are you aware that, although you soon should be able to jailbreak on 3.1, you won't be able to unlock the phone? If you want to jailbreak to get the apps off Cydia, then you will soon be able to do this.

    As you have already upgraded and because you haven't got any ECID files when you were on 3.0 or 3.0.1, you won't be able to do anything different by caching apples signature files, at this stage. However when you can cache the files through Cydia, then do it, so when a newer software version is released (3.2 for example) you will then be able to downgrade back to 3.1 using Sauriks posted method. If 3.2 could never be jailbroken you will be safe in the knowledge that you can downgrade to 3.1 which will allow the jailbreak.

    For now just wait for the PWANGETOOL to be released for 3GS phones, then jailbreak your phone, then store the files through Cydia so you can downgrade in the future.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to reholmes For This Useful Post:

    nadirmg (2009-09-17)

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by reholmes View Post

    For now just wait for the PWANGETOOL to be released for 3GS phones, then jailbreak your phone, then store the files through Cydia so you can downgrade in the future.
    Thanks, reholmes.

    Yes, I'm aware I won't be able to unlock my 3GS ever again, I'm on a family plan with my parents, so I doubt I'll ever want to go to another carrier.

    So, really, since I'm already in 3.1 and don't have my ECID cached with Cydia, the best thing to do is wait until the new PWNAGETOOL comes out, and the cache my ECID ASAP, right?

    On a different note, does anyone think it's possible for 3GS 3.1 phones to be unlocked at some point in the future, or is it written in stone that, from here on out, with 3.1 and beyond unlocking phones is impossible?

  19. #17
    Yep that's exactly what you should do.

    Never say never, one thing you can be sure of is that someone out there will be trying to find an unlock solution for everyone who has upgraded and for those who purchase a 3GS with the new software installed. It may take a long time and may of course be impossible, only time will tell.

  20. #18
    First, I just want to thank all of you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate having a jailbroken, unlocked iphone. I'm in Mexico for six months and I can actually use it with a Mexican SIM thanks to the Dev Team and all of you who actually know what you're doing with this stuff. I have absolutely NO coding experience and I find all of it rather intimidating. I was pleasantly surprised when it worked. At least I know how to follow directions!!

    Now on to my question:

    The Dev Team blog suggests doing Saurik's registration even if you haven't upgraded to 3.1 to register the ECID with him. I did not upgrade to 3.1. When I jailbroke in July I read the Dev Team blog thoroughly and they said to never upgrade before checking with them, so I didn't! However, when I open Cydia I do not see the message that my ECID has been registered previously. Does this mean I should do it now? Or should I just sit tight and wait? Any advice would be great.

  21. #19
    The ability to upload your ECID to Saurik was temporarily stopped but is due to open again soon (if it hasn't already). I believe when you open Cydia you should see a link saying something like 'Make my life easier'. When that appears follow it and when successful you will see a line saying already on file.

  22. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by reholmes View Post
    The ability to upload your ECID to Saurik was temporarily stopped but is due to open again soon (if it hasn't already). I believe when you open Cydia you should see a link saying something like 'Make my life easier'. When that appears follow it and when successful you will see a line saying already on file.
    Ah, that's exactly what I needed to know!!! I DID do that as it was right when I first opened Cydia and saw that line and did click to "make my life easier in the future", but just hadn't started reading about this signature caching issue yet. Thanks so much for all your replies on this thread, sounds like you helped a lot of us newbies to get some clarification!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •