Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: All the Rules for Downgrading your iPhone 3GS

Default All the Rules for Downgrading your iPhone 3GS
    OK, obviously this whole nonsense about downgrading your iPhone 3GS firmware is causing a ton of confusion. So, I am going to lay out all of the different scenarios and situations people could be in at the moment and what your options are. I am not an expert but I have read everything that the Dev Team and Saurik have written about this subject in the last few days and feel I have a firm grip on it. Here goes....

First off, these are must reads for anyone with any interest whatsoever in jailbreaking now or in the future:

Dev-Team Blog

This is where the Dev Team discusses the newly released Pwnage tool for 3.1 for Mac. This will only work on old iPhones (2G, 3G) but not the 3GS. A Redsnow program for Mac and Windows will be available soon. ** Read it very carefully because doing it incorrectly may cause you to lose your Unlock permanently if you haven't already!!!**

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

This is Saurik's explanation on how to "hash" or store your phone's ECID and the importance of doing so. It also describes the process that Apple uses when you upgrade your phone using their official firmware releases (WHICH YOU SHOULD NEVER DO). Basically, Apple has made it so that you can never go backwards with your firmware. Once you are on 3.1, Apple will not let you go backwards to 3.0.1 or 3.0 Saurik has come up with a way to circumvent Apple's process which will allow you to revert back to an older firmware version that is jailbreakable and/or unlockable. YOU MUST DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO GET BACK TO EITHER 3.0 or 3.1!!!

OK, here are a few different scenarios that should cover almost everyone:

1. You are running a jailbroken 3GS on 3.0 or 3.0.1 and DID "hash" your ECID with Cydia
    This is a best case scenario. This means that you will always be able to get back to 3.0 Still, you should never upgrade using an Apple official firmware release because 3.1 not only changes your firmware but also changes your baseband which means that you will lose your ability to unlock, possibly forever (as of now there is no exploit that either allows the new baseband to be unlocked or allows you to revert back to an older unlockable baseband). You must still complete the process of changing your host file as described in Saurik's post listed above.

2. You are running a jailbroken 3GS on either 3.0 or 3.0.1 and DID NOT "hash" your ECID with Cydia
    If you have a jailbroken 3GS using either 3.0 or 3.0.1 but did not get your ECID "hashed" with Cydia in time then you are still in good shape. Again, DO NOT UPGRADE TO APPLE'S OFFICIAL 3.1 FIRMWARE VIA ITUNES!!!! The bad news is that you will not be able to get back to 3.0 EVER. The good news is that you will always be able to downgrade to 3.1 which is a jailbreakable firmware. You will only be able to do this if you "hash" your ECID with Cydia in the future (Saurik said that this would be available last night but as of yet there is nothing). I know I am repeating myself but you must also use Saurik's method of altering the host file so that you can circumvent Apple. Follow Saurik on Twitter as I am sure he will let us know when we will be able to "hash" our ECID's for 3.1. More good news: Dev Team is creating custom 3.1 firmwares that will not change your baseband. So, as long as you use one of these when you restore and jailbreak you will still maintain your ability to unlock. Basically, you are golden since 3.1 is jailbreakable and, as long as you don't use the Apple 3.1 update, you will be able to keep your unlockability.

There is a little confusion here that I want to make more clear. If you have a jailbroken 3GS on 3.0 or 3.0.1 then you can still use Cydia to hash your ECID for 3.1 even though you aren't running 3.1 Again, pay attention to Saurik's Twitter to find out when this will be possible.

3. You upgraded your phone using Apple's official 3.1 release **SHAME ON YOU!!** and did not get your ECID hashed with Cydia
    OK, here is where it gets tricky. First of all, you will never be able to get back to 3.0 or 3.0.1 again. Second, as of right now you have permanently lost your ability to unlock your phone. So, if you were using your 3GS on T-Mobile and upgraded to 3.1 via Apple's official release you are basically screwed. Your baseband has been changed and it can no longer be unlocked. It is possible that Dev Team or someone else finds a way to fix this problem but nothing has been found as of yet. Also, currently you can not jailbreak your phone either. But, there is a RedSnow program coming out soon that will allow you to jailbreak your 3GS running 3.1 You should still "hash" your ECID with Cydia because you want to make sure you will be able to downgrade to 3.1 in the future in the event that Apple releases a new firmware that is not jailbreakable. You can do this in 2 ways:
    1. Wait for the 3GS jailbreak for 3.1 to come out and then do it through Cydia
    2. Alter the host file as described by Saurik and use his method to restore your phone to 3.1. Doing this will store your ECID with Cydia for future use.

4. You upgraded to Apple's official 3.1 but you hashed your ECID with Cydia prior to doing so
    This is a little better than scenario 3. You have also lost your ability to unlock your phone. But, by hashing your ECID with Cydia prior to upgrading you are able to use Saurik's Method (read the above article) to downgrade your phone back to 3.0 Doing this will downgrade your firmware to 3.0 allowing you to use the last version of RedSnow to jailbreak your phone again. However, it will not change your baseband back to the previous unlockable one so you are still screwed if you want to use the phone on another carrier.

**NOTE** If you did hash your ECID with Cydia prior to upgrading to 3.1 then you must go back to 3.0, not 3.0.1 For some reason there have been problems for people when they try to restore to 3.0.1 using Saurik's method.

OK, hope this helped you guys. I would say that 95% of us fit into one of these categories. If you have any more questions just leave them here on this post and I will answer them as quickly and as best as I can.

Also, please comment if this helped you out.

Good luck!
    Last edited by plegra97; 2009-09-16 at 01:10 AM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to plegra97 For This Useful Post:

2fast4lv (2009-09-16), a042349 (2009-09-16), bonbonlulu (2009-09-26), CasperB (2010-02-09), formfactor (2009-09-30), gizwinkus (2009-09-16), gstar76 (2009-09-30), hotman (2009-09-19), in jail (2009-09-16), Jst (2009-09-16), marlin9107 (2009-09-22), oarce12 (2009-09-20), therebelmc (2009-09-17), walerwales (2009-09-16), yentrog31 (2009-09-16), zen88 (2009-09-19)

Thanks for trying to bring some order to the caos! good job (I think). I was happily jailbroken running 3.0.1 and screwing around with files i shouldn't have messed with without gaining more knowledge first. I am new to iPhones so wasn't aware of the release date of 3.1. On that fateful day I was left with no choice but to restore the phone so I could jailbreak it again, I thought. Short version, I accidentally upgraded to 3.1. The good news is I let saurik make my life easier so I can downgrade. I have attempted it and think I may be using the wrong restore file. My question is, where can I get the right one for sure? Also does it matter if I use iTunes 9? i went through saurick's guide without problem and trird to use redsn0w to get finialize the process but after what appeared to be a successful jailbreak the phone wouldn't boot I just got a lovely apple logo. After running the jailbreak 3 times with the same results I tried using iRecover but without success. I have just restored the phone back to 3.1 so as to start fresh. I think I need a good restore file to start. Thanks in advance.

Glad I could help. Too bad you got stuck upgrading to 3.1, hopefully you never want to unlock your phone in the future.

First off, when you are attempting to restore using Saurik's method are you using the ipsw for 3.0? You can't use the one for 3.0.1 because it is causing problems with Saurik's method since he didn't get the signatures for 3.0.1 for almost anyone. Here is a link for the correct firmware you want:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    (Look under step 1 and click on the link. The download should start right away)

If you follow the rest of Saurik's instructions you should be fine. If you get error 3002 that means that your ECID was not stored on Cydia. Saurik wrote on here yesterday that there were a few hundred people who got the message that their ECID was stored but then he realized later that they were not.

Hope it works out for you!

hi,

iv got a slightly different scenario but i think im screwed anyway, but still want confirmation.

i have a 3gs on 3.01, i havent updated but phone messed up during a "restore from backup", my home screen has nothing on it, totally black.

it still connests to itunes and it shows im still on 3.01 but how to restore back to 3.01?

i havent done any hashing/backups at all, only got the phone last night, everything was working spot on but then i messed it up by doing that stupid restore from backup!

have i any other option but to wait for the pwnage tool to create a custom 3.1?

thanks in advance...

Good thinking plegra97 to have a thread that simply states the different scenarios you are likely to find yourself in, and what best to do in each case.

I have one more, quite common i think, scenario for you.

What if you have a non jailbroken 3GS running 3.0.1 and you are the procrastinating type (like me! lol) and didn't grab your IBEC & IBSS files in time (please forgive if the terminoligy isn't 100%, but hopefully you get the idea). So you're not 'on file' with Cydia so to speak, and so cannot risk anything as Itunes will force 3.1 when you next restore.
    In this situation, what is the best course of action if you are looking to JB at some point in the future? (no need for unlock).

Cheers guys!
    Last edited by xiga; 2009-09-16 at 03:44 AM.

The only 3.0 file I had was the one I downloaded to do the original jailbreak. I'm pretty sure I got it from the same link you provided. I thought maybe it was modified to the point where it was unsuitable but I guess that's not my problem after all.I decided to try it again but got "itunes unable to contact server" I didn't have that problem the first attempt and might have made a mistake in re-modifying the hosts file. I had it right the first time but switched back to the default server to restore to 3.1 for round two. I have to have a working phone for work in the morning (and do) so I will hopefully live to try another day. I did not get the 3002 error just the 1015 as expected. I was so close. Everything went as expected until the final boot. I'll download the file from your link and try it with iTunes 8.2 next time. Thanks for the link.

One or two other questions, When using iRecovery to change the auto-boot from false to true, A walk through of the commands would be helpful. I got this from another thread.

type iRecovery -s

you will now have a prompt type in the following commands

setenv auto-boot true

saveenv

/exit
    I got iRecovery working on XP no problem, I hooked up to the phone no problem after typing irecovery -s with the phone in restore mode,
    When I get the prompt I typed each line and then hit enter. There's no indication of anything being done, I just get another prompt after each command. Is that right? Am I missing something simple? it has been a long day!
    I think the file was already changed by the jailbreak as it should have been. Oh well, better luck next time i hope! I will try to downgrade without jail breaking at the same time next time perhaps.
    Good night all, be back tomorrow.
    Last edited by gizwinkus; 2009-09-16 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sajjy View Post
    hi,

iv got a slightly different scenario but i think im screwed anyway, but still want confirmation.

i have a 3gs on 3.01, i havent updated but phone messed up during a "restore from backup", my home screen has nothing on it, totally black.

it still connests to itunes and it shows im still on 3.01 but how to restore back to 3.01?

i havent done any hashing/backups at all, only got the phone last night, everything was working spot on but then i messed it up by doing that stupid restore from backup!

have i any other option but to wait for the pwnage tool to create a custom 3.1?

thanks in advance...
    You're probably stuck having to upgrade to 3.1 because I don't think iTunes is going to let you restore to anything else and with no hashed files in Cydia you aren't going to be able to go back to 3.0.1 or 3.0 Did you have a 3G iPhone and then upgrade it to a 3GS? Is that why you were restoring from backup? That's the only reason I could see why you would restore a phone you just got.

If you had no intentions on unlocking the phone then you have no problem. The jailbreak for 3.1 should be out within the next few days. If you are unable to get it back working on 3.0.1 then you should definitely use the Saurik method to restore it in 3.1 Doing this will hash your ECID for 3.1 so that you'll at least always be able to get back to that version of the firmware. If you don't do this and you upgrade the next time Apple comes out with a new firmware (3.1.1, 3.2, etc) then you'll be stuck there and you may lose the ability to jailbreak at that point.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by xiga View Post
    Good thinking plegra97 to have a thread that simply states the different scenarios you are likely to find yourself in, and what best to do in each case.

I have one more, quite common i think, scenario for you.

What if you have a non jailbroken 3GS running 3.0.1 and you are the procrastinating type (like me! lol) and didn't grab your IBEC & IBSS files in time (please forgive if the terminoligy isn't 100%, but hopefully you get the idea). So you're not 'on file' with Cydia so to speak, and so cannot risk anything as Itunes will force 3.1 when you next restore.
    In this situation, what is the best course of action if you are looking to JB at some point in the future? (no need for unlock).

Cheers guys!
    If you have no intention on ever unlocking then you might as well go ahead and attempt a jailbreak now. If it doesn't work for some reason you can just restore your phone through iTunes to 3.1 The only thing you lose when upgrading to 3.1 is the ability to unlock. A jailbreak for 3.1 will be out soon so you'll be covered on that front regardless.

Jailbreaking now has major upside though. If you are successful and don't have to restore to 3.1 then you'll be able to hash your ECID through Cydia which will do 2 things:
    1. Your phone will be jailbroken on 3.0.1 and your ECID for a 3.1 restore will be on file with Cydia
    2. By not upgrading to the official Apple release of 3.1 you'll maintain your ability to unlock in case you ever want to in the future (this could also be good if you want to sell the 3GS since unlockable phones fetch a lot more on EBay than non-unlockable phones... I was able to pay for my 32 GB 3GS by selling my 16GB 3G for $410 )

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gizwinkus View Post
    The only 3.0 file I had was the one I downloaded to do the original jailbreak. I'm pretty sure I got it from the same link you provided. I thought maybe it was modified to the point where it was unsuitable but I guess that's not my problem after all.I decided to try it again but got "itunes unable to contact server" I didn't have that problem the first attempt and might have made a mistake in re-modifying the hosts file. I had it right the first time but switched back to the default server to restore to 3.1 for round two. I have to have a working phone for work in the morning (and do) so I will hopefully live to try another day. I did not get the 3002 error just the 1015 as expected. I was so close. Everything went as expected until the final boot. I'll download the file from your link and try it with iTunes 8.2 next time. Thanks for the link.

One or two other questions, When using iRecovery to change the auto-boot from false to true, A walk through of the commands would be helpful. I got this from another thread.

I got iRecovery working on XP no problem, I hooked up to the phone no problem after typing irecovery -s with the phone in restore mode,
    When I get the prompt I typed each line and then hit enter. There's no indication of anything being done, I just get another prompt after each command. Is that right? Am I missing something simple? it has been a long day!
    I think the file was already changed by the jailbreak as it should have been. Oh well, better luck next time i hope! I will try to downgrade without jail breaking at the same time next time perhaps.
    Good night all, be back tomorrow.

I wish I could help you here but I have never had to use iRecovery so I am not very familiar with it. I am sure that someone else on here will be able to give you the info you need.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by plegra97; 2009-09-16 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by plegra97 View Post
    You're probably stuck having to upgrade to 3.1 because I don't think iTunes is going to let you restore to anything else and with no hashed files in Cydia you aren't going to be able to go back to 3.0.1 or 3.0 Did you have a 3G iPhone and then upgrade it to a 3GS? Is that why you were restoring from backup? That's the only reason I could see why you would restore a phone you just got.

If you had no intentions on unlocking the phone then you have no problem. The jailbreak for 3.1 should be out within the next few days. If you are unable to get it back working on 3.0.1 then you should definitely use the Saurik method to restore it in 3.1 Doing this will hash your ECID for 3.1 so that you'll at least always be able to get back to that version of the firmware. If you don't do this and you upgrade the next time Apple comes out with a new firmware (3.1.1, 3.2, etc) then you'll be stuck there and you may lose the ability to jailbreak at that point.

Good Luck!
    thanks for the prompt response.

yeah i had a 3g hence the restore from backup.

the 3gs was on 3.01 already jailbroken & unlocked (need it unlocked), all i did was restore from backup which went smoothly but after the reboot i had an empty home screen.

and now after some failed atempts to restore back to 3.01, the phone is stuck in recovery mode, iv held both home & power for 15 seconds but after the reboot its still in recovery mode.

looks like im stuck with the 3g for another couple of days

oh well, luckily enough i didnt get round to erasing my 3g just yet so at least iv got a working phone for now.

thanks for the help mate

I'm still confused I guess. My phone is jacked for now (3.1), but my girlfriend's phone is still 3.01 no saved hash, don't have iBEC or iBSS.
    I would like to unlock it eventually, what steps should I take?

Point of clarification:

If you're running either 3.0 or 3.0.1 on a 3GS (or any iphone for that matter) and you procrastinated and never got around to jailbreaking you have one option (and only one) really.

You can grab redsn0w from the dev team's site and jailbreak your phone without upgrading or having to restore. Note: if you're running 3.0.1 you'll need the 3.0 ipsw to pull off the jailbreak. The downside is, if you screw something up and you're forced to restore you're going to pretty much have to upgrade to 3.1.

IF... IF you are forced to upgrade to 3.1 from Apple, make sure you edit your hosts file first to point to saurik's server. This will put you "on file" with him and allow you to downgrade to 3.1 in the future.

One more note for those of you that are stuck with a jailbroken 3.0 or 3.0.1 3GS that needs to be restored. I think you have an option here as well. I hope you have a Mac. You can get a copy of the pwnage tool for the 3.0 firmware and create a custom firmware which you can then restore. Since your phone has been previously jailbroken the chain of trust is circumvented. Put your phone in DFU mode and restore the custom 3.0 firmware. I'm not 100% sure on this one since I've not tried it myself but for those of you with a bricked phone it can't hurt, worst it will tell you is that you're not authorized to install a 3.0 ipsw.

Good Luck!

Thanks Plegra97.

I have a question similar to Xiga above but something I have been struggling to understand is the restore bit. This is my first iPhone and I am new to this JB stuff.

My scenario is this: I have a factory unlocked 3GS on firmware 3.0.1 which has never been jailbroken. I have been using it for 6 weeks.

Now I want to JB. Can I just run redsn0w without restoring? Why would I need to restore?

FYI, I have already modified the Host file to point to Saurik's Server.

Having checked all the sites, none has a clearer route to JB an unlocked 3GS on 3.0.1

Yours or anyone's advice pls

Thanks
    Question no wireless service after downgrade :(
    Hey guys ,,,,just got done downgrading my 3gs from 3.1 to 3.0 !!! Everything is Ok and I just jailbroke it My problem is that after the downgrade now my phone has no service !?!? Did I do something wrong or forget something!?! Please someone help ,,,,,im on PC and atnt

zguy916: same with me. i have 3gs factory unlocked. if you have the 3gs software unlocked it's understandable that this method didnt downgrade your baseband so u are locked. but i have factory unlock from aussie and was fine on 3.1. now after downgrading, i dont have gsm signal.

thanks for the reply plegra97!

So while it seems as if i don't have anything to lose and could go ahead and try a JB right now, i think i'll hold off for another wee bit and wait for the official redsn0w 3.1 JB to come out for the 3GS (the supposed improved battery life is worth holding out for i guess).

So to get this absolutely straight.

Because my factory unlocked 3G[S] FW3.01 is on file with Saurik, I'll never have to worry about future firmware releases because I can always restore back to FW3.0 using Saurik's server for authentication during the restore?

And because it's factory unlocked, I can upgrade the baseband and I'll never end up with a locked phone?

Thanks very much for this. Saurik's writing is elegant and inspiring but it is a little thick technically, and maybe assumes too much of the reader's familiarity with the various processes.

Im in the same situation as Xiga (unjailbroken, fw 3.0.1). I decided not to procrastinate any longer and do the JB today.

But I have one question:
    I already changed my hosts file according to the way as stated by Saurik. Does this affect the JB-process? Or better to undo the changes in the etc/hosts file?

Thank you

Perhaps better, to add this clarification:

I only made the change in my hosts file, but haven't restored my phone yet.
    Last edited by chiron; 2009-09-16 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by chiron View Post
    Im in the same situation as Xiga (unjailbroken, fw 3.0.1). I decided not to procrastinate any longer and do the JB today.

But I have one question:
    I already changed my hosts file according to the way as stated by Saurik. Does this affect the JB-process? Or better to undo the changes in the etc/hosts file?

Thank you

Perhaps better, to add this clarification:

I only made the change in my hosts file, but haven't restored my phone yet.
    You don't need to connect to apple when you jb through redsnow...I did just that on Sunday w/ my 3GS. I jb then unlocked it. Went smoothly. Once you done all that, make sure you get your files logged through cydia and you should be golden!

I have an iPhone 3GS on 3.1. I'm very sure that I have my ECID SHSH on file with Cydia because I remember being in Cydia before I upgraded and and wondered what it meant when it said "ECID SHSH" on file.

I have changed the hosts file per Saurik's instuctions and when I go to downgrade to 3.0 I get an error message from itunes saying

*The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (20).* You're posts don't really mention anything about this code and I've tried the it a few times only to get this message and the phone left in recovery mode.

Please I would love to downgrade again to enjoy the jailbreak benefits, what shall I do?

Quote Originally Posted by viceroy View Post
    So to get this absolutely straight.

Because my factory unlocked 3G[S] FW3.01 is on file with Saurik, I'll never have to worry about future firmware releases because I can always restore back to FW3.0 using Saurik's server for authentication during the restore?

And because it's factory unlocked, I can upgrade the baseband and I'll never end up with a locked phone?
    You're 99 percent correct. The only issue is that Saurik probably only has your 3.0 hash on file, he probably doesn't have your 3.0.1, but he could create if he wanted to. Otherwise, you're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by OJMACBOOKPRO View Post
    I have an iPhone 3GS on 3.1. I'm very sure that I have my ECID SHSH on file with Cydia because I remember being in Cydia before I upgraded and and wondered what it meant when it said "ECID SHSH" on file.

I have changed the hosts file per Saurik's instuctions and when I go to downgrade to 3.0 I get an error message from itunes saying

*The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (20).* You're posts don't really mention anything about this code and I've tried the it a few times only to get this message and the phone left in recovery mode.

Please I would love to downgrade again to enjoy the jailbreak benefits, what shall I do?
    Make sure you're in DFU mode (not recovery mode) and that you're downgrading to 3.0, not 3.0.1.
    Last edited by Spamdumpster; 2009-09-16 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast