Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: All the Rules for Downgrading your iPhone 3GS

This post was a great idea. I'd also been thinking of how best to convey all the possible 3G S scenarios without confusing the end user. I did something similar to this, but in flowchart form.

See what you think: http://www.hackthatphone.com/3x/3GS_flowchart.html
    Last edited by exNavy; 2009-09-21 at 05:45 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

donrosco (2009-09-24)

RE: Green apple

"You should definitely alter the host file at some point. First of all, since you are already running 3.1 you basically have nothing else to lose. You can alter the host file and then run the restore the way Saurik explains and that will actually hash your ECID with Cydia. Originally, the way you hashed you ECID was actually doing it through Cydia but that method is currently not available. So, for people already on 3.1, all they need to do is the restore using Saurik's method and your ECID will be hashed. That way you'll always be able to get back to 3.1 if need be. After that just sit back and wait for RedSnow for 3.1 to come out."

like the other posters, for me my 3gs gave me an error pertaining to substraite, did a bit of werid things, on its own, all my cracked apps dissappeared, and my unlock was no more. So I tried to re-jaibreak without updating to 3.1 but screen did not go to dfu mode, so i had to restore in itunes which updated to 3.1. well at least its working.
    Tried Saurik's method , but keep getting error,"iphone,iphone, this device cannot ...; didn't work.
    not sure how to ALTER THE HOST FILE. what i did was rename it.Is that correct? and after do I double click or what?
    thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by hakoub View Post
    hi ,
    i have iphone 3GS versin 3.0 iwant to change to 3.0.1 how to do?

hak

If you can get a hold of the ipsw for 3.0.1 you should be able to do a "Shift Restore". The real question is why you would want to do it and risk having a problem and needing to upgrade to 3.1. The differences between 3.0 and 3.0.1 is almost negligible. I'd stick with what you have, get it jailbroken, get your ECID hashed with Saurik, and wait for the custom 3.1 ipsw RedSnow.

Quote Originally Posted by maarco74 View Post
    RE: Green apple

"You should definitely alter the host file at some point. First of all, since you are already running 3.1 you basically have nothing else to lose. You can alter the host file and then run the restore the way Saurik explains and that will actually hash your ECID with Cydia. Originally, the way you hashed you ECID was actually doing it through Cydia but that method is currently not available. So, for people already on 3.1, all they need to do is the restore using Saurik's method and your ECID will be hashed. That way you'll always be able to get back to 3.1 if need be. After that just sit back and wait for RedSnow for 3.1 to come out."

like the other posters, for me my 3gs gave me an error pertaining to substraite, did a bit of werid things, on its own, all my cracked apps dissappeared, and my unlock was no more. So I tried to re-jaibreak without updating to 3.1 but screen did not go to dfu mode, so i had to restore in itunes which updated to 3.1. well at least its working.
    Tried Saurik's method , but keep getting error,"iphone,iphone, this device cannot ...; didn't work.
    not sure how to ALTER THE HOST FILE. what i did was rename it.Is that correct? and after do I double click or what?
    thanks in advance.
    Altering the Host file has nothing to do with renaming. You actually have to go into the /etc/hosts file with Text Editor or Notepad and add the line that Saurik gave us at the bottom. It should look like this when finished:

##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Once you do that iTunes will stop contacting the Apple server and contact Saurik's server instead. That way you will always be able to restore to 3.1 (or 3.0 if you already hashed your ECID in Cydia)
    Last edited by plegra97; 2009-09-19 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i guess my post was buried somewhere deep. Someone please help me reply, ur help is greatly apprietiated.

Greetings fellow Iphone Gods! Kinda new in the iphone scene and my country is relatively new to the Iphone scene too. Only about a year or so they brought in the 3g.

So i just upgraded my plan and they only had the new 16gb 3g[S]. I've been contemplating to jailbreak it, since i owned an ipod touch 1st gen and been jailbreaking and restoring like no one's business. Its as easy as just shift and click and voila its restored.

I've read saurik's on file hash thingamagiggy, sorry quite noob at this kinda things, but im still unaware on how to hash or store it on the server.

My situation is that im on a 3.0 ipsw, Factory unlocked, haven't jailbroken. Itunes have been bugging me to always upgrade to 3.1 but i always refused to do so thinking that the new softwares dont have the ability to be jailbroken. I already have updated my HOST file.

So what do i do next??

threadstarter or anyone who could help, would be sincerely apprietiated.

glad tidings from Sunny/Rainy Singapore,

MAQ.

Hello all, since I posted here before I thought I'd finish telling of my ordeal in hopes it will help someone else understand something, anything, about this mess.

To recap, I accidentally upgraded my 3gs (jailbroken, not unlocked)to 3.1. However, I was one of the fortunate 50,000 or so that got my ECID stored with Cydia before it was too late. I followed saurik on twitter which led me here after I could not get his seemingly simple instructions to work, It seemed either he or I missed something. All went as planned in the downgrade untill the final reboot. I was using redsn0w to jailbreak as suggested by saurik as the final step. Alas, though the jailbreak seemed to go smoothly the phone would not boot, it would hang on the apple logo. After trying a couple of times and restoring to 3.1 a couple of times I came here for help. What a confusing mess this place is! Thanks again for the original poster trying to bring order to the madness.

I read about iRecovery here and elsewhere and had already installed it on a netbook for future experiments but had never used it. I tried to use it in the downgrade process but at first running the commands, "setenv auto-boot true" "saveenv" "/exit" had no effect. I believe the jailbreak had already set auto-boot true and that was not my problem. I still am not sure what my problem was but with persistence and patience i did finally get the phone to boot in a jailbroken state. However, I now had no phone service. After looking at a few other threads where folks had the same problem It was stated in one that the phone MUST be activated with at&t through iTunes BEFORE jailbreaking and the only way to complete the downgrade without jailbreaking at the same time is to use iRecovery. What I did was just run the downgrade restore one more time, this wiped out the jailbreak, and after the 1015 error, with the phone still in recovery mode, plugged it into the netbook with iRecovery installed. (I didn't want to waste time installing iRecovery on my 64 bit Vista Desktop). At the iphone prompt in iRecovery I ran the commands "setenv auto-boot true" "saveenv" "/exit" Then, i believe what I did next was plug into iTunes with the phone still in recovery mode, and when it recognized it I selected restore the phone from backup by right clicking on the phone in the sidebar. Sure enough when it finished the phone restarted and booted right up, downgraded and activated with at&t. I synced with iTunes on my netbook and installed the tethering hack from help.benm.at to verify that it worked. It does (tethering is the main reason I wanted to downgrade, jailbreaking is just a matter of principle to me). The next day I did a prefectly normal jailbreak using redsn0w and I'm happily back in possession of MYphone again!

Thanks again to all that helped me and to those trying to help others! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by maq_vader View Post
    i guess my post was buried somewhere deep. Someone please help me reply, ur help is greatly apprietiated.

Greetings fellow Iphone Gods! Kinda new in the iphone scene and my country is relatively new to the Iphone scene too. Only about a year or so they brought in the 3g.

So i just upgraded my plan and they only had the new 16gb 3g[S]. I've been contemplating to jailbreak it, since i owned an ipod touch 1st gen and been jailbreaking and restoring like no one's business. Its as easy as just shift and click and voila its restored.

I've read saurik's on file hash thingamagiggy, sorry quite noob at this kinda things, but im still unaware on how to hash or store it on the server.

My situation is that im on a 3.0 ipsw, Factory unlocked, haven't jailbroken. Itunes have been bugging me to always upgrade to 3.1 but i always refused to do so thinking that the new softwares dont have the ability to be jailbroken. I already have updated my HOST file.

So what do i do next??

threadstarter or anyone who could help, would be sincerely apprietiated.

glad tidings from Sunny/Rainy Singapore,

MAQ.
    MAQ, it appears you are the envy of many here with your factory unlocked phone. I would call myself a noob with iPhones too but I'm learing fast. From what I've gleaned from many posts here is, since your phone is factory unlocked it stays unlocked no matter what. You can jailbreak at anytime, i understand that Mac users can even jailbreak 3.1 now, Windows user must wait a little longer for the 3.1 jailbreak.

So the question is what do you want to do? It's too late to store your 3.0 ECID with saurik but you could store the 3.1 ECID with him by upgrading to 3.1 and then downgrade or (i believe) do a full restore to 3.1 and your 3.1 ECID will be safely stored with saurik since you already changed the host file and you will always have the option of downgrading to 3.1 in the future (he says). So bottom line it seems, (I recommend waiting for confirmation) if you want to have tethering without jailbreaking do not upgrade! If you have a Mac, you can upgrade to 3.1 And jailbreak now and since you are factory unlocked you will stay unlocked I'm pretty sure you could still tether through the jailbreak. Bear in mind that if you screw up a jailbreak or otherwise need to restore your phone you will have no choice but to go with 3.1.

I hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by gizwinkus; 2009-09-19 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok - i just needed to let everyone know that after DAYS of trying to downgrade my 3gs, giving up, trying again, I finally was able to do it...
    I wish i could give ppl instructions who were having the same problems as me - but i did so much stuff that I dont know what was the sucessful route!!! I know I did the Saurik tutorial of changing the host file in itunes - I used itunes 8.2 - I used irecovery (after HOURS of trying to get it to work on both Vista and XP - but after careful reading, finally got it)- I also KNOW I had my 3g info stored on Saurik's server weeks ago, but dont believe I had my 3gs stored - im really not sure..
    Bottom line - with persistence and a TON of reading I have a Jailbroken 3Gs on 3.0 - and I'm psyched... now I can rest... good luck to all

Ouh? Is it true that a factory unlocked phone will stay unlocked even though upgrading to 3.1 official apple update will make it lock forever???

Kinda surprised that my phone was factory unlocked. Because in Singapore only ONE courier provider brings in the Iphone. Tho our Iphones are the "asian" version. The info at the back of the box is different from american ones.

Maybe we're much closer to china? lol. I've read all around that most asian iphones have been factory unlocked.

Maq, sorry if I've misled you. I may have spoken too soon. I freely admit I have a lot to learn about iPhones. Perhaps you should start another thread specifically for your questions, you would get more exposure and perhaps speedier, more knowledgeable answers. I found this link to be very helpful as a noob and will share it here.

Hack that phone - Featuring Mac modding instructions.

Have fun in Singapore and good luck!

Default Is downgrade from 3.1->3.0 still possible?
    Hi,
    To keep the story short, I'm now on 3.1 and would like to rollback to 3.0.0 I know and have a backup of my ECID file through purplera1nyday and both iBEC/iBSS dfu files. I updated my host file to resolve the alias to saurik's server but my ECID is not on there. So my question is if there is a way to import the ECID or is there another work around to roll back to 3.0.0. Please advise, thanks in advance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    When updating the host file to point to Saurik's server how many lines does the file have.

I saw someone posted something with about 10-15 lines. Mine only had 1 line before I added the "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" entry. Can anyone confirm the number of lines in the file?

This is all it says now:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    Last edited by Brian.Bustos; 2009-09-20 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added File Details
    Quis Custodiete Ipsos Custodes?

Brian.Bustos,

those 2 are the only lines you need, don't worry about the rest

Smile It worked!!!
    So I upgraded to 3.1.

After many attempts to alter the "host" file, it looks like I finally got it. I was one of the lucky ones to have my ECID hashed to Saurik's server. At the moment, my iPhone is installing 3.0.1.

UPDATE:

I just got the 1015 error. This is what I pulled off the internet from Downgrade iPhone Firmware 3.1 to 3.0 about the error:

"If you get the “The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1015)” error, then re-do the process all over again. You will get the same error again and it is normal. Ignore the error and jailbreak your iPhone using RedSn0w."

So, I am in the process of "re-do". Will post update.

UPDATE:

I just got through the JB. It froze toward the end this is what is written on the screen right now.

"Mounting rootfs as read-onlyu...
    ERROR!
    AppleBCMWLAN::initFirmware (): Succssful
    initializtion
    AppleBCMWLAN::setPowerStateGated(): Pow
    ering On
    AppleBCMWLAN: Ethernet address ...
    AirpPort: Link Down on en0.

What does this mean??????

UPDATE 9/20 @ 14:15 :

So I decided to try the 3.0 firmware. I am now in the process of installing 3.0 firmware from 3.1. It appears to be restoring 3.0 firmware...

And it worked. I downgraded to 3.0 from 3.1 using "Saurik's method". But a carrier signal and the network is "not available".

Good luck.
    Last edited by ejotam; 2009-09-21 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Update

So here is my question... Saurik tells us "open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file '74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com'". However, when I open the file, I can only figure to open it as a text style file (since after all I AM putting text into the file) and so I use either Notepad or Wordpad. Problem is, when I go to save the file, I have no clue what type of file it was to start with and when I save it, I am only given the option to save in a text style file, which of course iTunes isn't looking for. So in what form am I to open this elusive "HOSTS" file and then in what form do I save it so that iTunes won't keep resorting back to the original unmodified "HOSTS" file?

Save it as hosts.txt, then just remove the .txt after. the file is just simply "hosts" with no file extension. What I did was make hosts.original & hosts.saurik Then I can just remove the file extension to whatever one I want active at the time. So in my \etc folder I have 2 files (either hosts & hosts.original OR hosts & hosts.saurik) I found that in Vista it is a lot less of a pain in the *** to add & remove file extensions on that file rather than edit it and save it. I also have hosts.saurik_commented with the # before saurik's server ip address, but that one is pretty much pointless with the other 2 versions.

Actually, I was screwed anyway. I downgraded to 3.0 from 3.1 and i was hashed with Cydia. But, when I downgraded there was no carrier or network carrier. So unless I did something wrong, it didn't matter. The baseband was still phuked. Nevertheless, I went back to 3.1 to wait for a JB.

Quote Originally Posted by thesykboy View Post
    So here is my question... Saurik tells us "open the file C:WindowsSystem32driversetchosts (Windows) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file '74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com'". However, when I open the file, I can only figure to open it as a text style file (since after all I AM putting text into the file) and so I use either Notepad or Wordpad. Problem is, when I go to save the file, I have no clue what type of file it was to start with and when I save it, I am only given the option to save in a text style file, which of course iTunes isn't looking for. So in what form am I to open this elusive "HOSTS" file and then in what form do I save it so that iTunes won't keep resorting back to the original unmodified "HOSTS" file?
    I typed in the address and it opened the file. Then I put Saurik's server underneath the local host address. Then just went to file and saved it. I did open the file with Notepad.
    Last edited by ejotam; 2009-09-21 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

As i explained in a post i made in the modding general section (http://modmyi.com/forums/general/684...i-screwed.html) i had no choice but to upgrade to 3.1 via itunes (i know very stupid) as i was concered i had just broke my newly aquired iphone.

Am i basically screwed for good? Or is it just a matter of waiting?

Quote Originally Posted by sirsycho View Post
    Point of clarification:

One more note for those of you that are stuck with a jailbroken 3.0 or 3.0.1 3GS that needs to be restored. I think you have an option here as well. I hope you have a Mac. You can get a copy of the pwnage tool for the 3.0 firmware and create a custom firmware which you can then restore. Since your phone has been previously jailbroken the chain of trust is circumvented. Put your phone in DFU mode and restore the custom 3.0 firmware. I'm not 100% sure on this one since I've not tried it myself but for those of you with a bricked phone it can't hurt, worst it will tell you is that you're not authorized to install a 3.0 ipsw.

Good Luck!
    That would have been a smart idea if only pwnage was supporting 3GS.
    But actually pwnage 3.0 doesn't... (I do have a Macbook)
    Hopefully it will in a very near future...

Still don't quite fully understand:
    When you're upgraded to the Apple official 3.1, you're almost dead - not unlockable and use other carrier's SIM
    But I understand from the carrier here in Australia that if you pay A$150, they can unlock for you - even in 3.1.
    So, there must be technical feasible to unlock even in 3.1...
    Is that a reasonable assumption that someone will be able to unlock and jailbreak 3.1 in future???

Quote Originally Posted by marlin9107 View Post
    Still don't quite fully understand:
    When you're upgraded to the Apple official 3.1, you're almost dead - not unlockable and use other carrier's SIM
    But I understand from the carrier here in Australia that if you pay A$150, they can unlock for you - even in 3.1.
    So, there must be technical feasible to unlock even in 3.1...
    Is that a reasonable assumption that someone will be able to unlock and jailbreak 3.1 in future???
    Marlin,

I know that Apple sold factory unlocked iPhones in some countries so that may be what the people in Australia are talking about. If you happen to have a factory unlocked phone then it makes no difference what firmware or baseband you have since the phone is made to be used with any carrier that uses GSM (and also why they are way more expensive). As far as I know, any phone that is not factory unlocked loses it's software unlock capabilities if it is upgraded to Apple's 3.1 firmware.

HI Plegra97,

Sorry to bother you again...but i just decided to go ahead and jailbreak my two 3GS's(both running 3.0.1) and then unlocked them using ultrasnow...now the question is, how do i get my ECID hashed or "on file" or whatever it is called...I know that i won't be able to comeback to 3.0, but i just want to do it for 3.1.

Can i get it hashed and stay on 3.0 until i decide to upgrade to 3.1 using a custom firmware through pwnage tool so that i can still keep my unlock???

Any help is extremely appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast