Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ? on saurik's catching apples signature server

Default ? on saurik's catching apples signature server
    Can someone be more specific on this ....
    So, open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    I can get to the file, but what does it mean to add the following entery to the bottom. Does that mean to add it to the end?.. or stick it somewhere in properties... thanks!

add it to a new line at the end.

Open the file with notepad or whatever and type it under the last line of text

Unhappy noobs
    sorry, i cant even get to those files

Quote Originally Posted by nhatlinh82 View Post
    What do you mean?

I have opened it with notepad and wordpad added the line and it won't let me save it. How do you save it?

Right-click notepad.
    Run as administrator.
    Then you can save

I'm on XP so I'm the only admin. When I go2 close it only gives me the option to save it as a text doc but that would change the format of the file.

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
    I'm on XP so I'm the only admin. When I go2 close it only gives me the option to save it as a text doc but that would change the format of the file.
    It should also give you the option to save as "All Files" or something similar.
    Choose that

nah just 4 different types of text documents

ok nm wordpad didn't but notepad did. That didn't work either it saved as a text file not affecting original. Now what?
    Last edited by laz305; 2009-09-15 at 10:01 PM.

yup it worked with wordpad .. but not notepad.. for those who do this in the future

yah im having the same problem actually .. i can't save.. only save as.. and then it makes a new note or wordpad.. how do u save to the orignal file..
    Last edited by tekron; 2009-09-16 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by tekron View Post
    yup it worked with wordpad .. but not notepad.. for those who do this in the future

yah im having the same problem actually .. i can't save.. only save as.. and then it makes a new note or wordpad.. how do u save to the orignal file..
    ok here is what I did, the one we created I just took off the .txt extension backed up original of course and just replaced it. got it?
    Backup original
    the one you made rename it and remove the .txt save and say yes
    then copy it and overwrite

Quote Originally Posted by tekron View Post
    Can someone be more specific on this .... or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X
    Sorry to sound like a newbie but can someone help me find this folder/file? I;ve done searches for visible and invisible items and can''t seem to locate it. Is it part of iTunes package?

Default do i need ecid and sshh file on cedya to restore
    Ok guys I added 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com to my localhost and riverted the itunes to this server, and I have jailbroken and unlocked iphone 3gs on 3.0 firmware, and I dont have ECID/sshh file on cydia and if in any case I want to restore my iphone 3GS back to 3.0 firmware, will I be able to do that, or I need ECID/SSHH file on cydia or some file other than that?

Sorry, i needed to be more specific.
    I am a Mac noob, I cant find those files on Mac. I am using Leopard. Please somebody help

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there a way to know whether or not I properly redirected Apple's signature server? I trust what saurik is saying, but I don't necessarily trust what I'm doing.

Yeah same here is there a way to test it to know if we did it right?

Sorry, i needed to be more specific.
    I am a Mac noob, I cant find those files on Mac. I am using Leopard. Please somebody help
    You are not seeing the file/folder because these are system folders which are normally hidden by the OS. A few things that you have to do first:

1- Open Terminal from Application > Utilities folder
    2- Type into Terminal: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES (then press enter)
    3- Type into Terminal: killall Finder (then press enter -- you'll see the icons on your desktop refresh)
    4- Open your Finder to Macintosh HD..you will now see tons of folders. Navigate to that path mentioned above and you should be good
    5- You will not be able to edit that file in it's present directory due to authentication. Copy it to your desktop, edit the file, then move it back and replace to the original folder.
    6- To rehide those system folders, in Terminal type: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO (then press enter)
    7- Then type into Terminal: killall Finder

I would recommend you keep a copy of that original file somewhere just in case you need to revert to it.

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
    Yeah same here is there a way to test it to know if we did it right?
    I believe the only way to test it out is if you had submitted your iPhone files (ibec and all those) to Saurik's server. From my understanding, that is the only way you'll be able to do a restore from 3.0.1 to 3.0.1. Definitely don't update to 3.1...yet.
    Last edited by allen099; 2009-09-16 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"ok here is what I did, the one we created I just took off the .txt extension backed up original of course and just replaced it. got it?
    Backup original
    the one you made rename it and remove the .txt save and say yes
    then copy it and overwrite"

HEY TO LAZ305...
    Basically i was putting in the new address... what saurik said to do.. and i would save the new file as host2.. so i can then backup, etc....

ok so the problem is ... when i rename like laz305 said to try.. it just says hosts2... i can't take off the txt... how else can i take off the .txt...

I have windows XP. Anyone else have a way to do this. Also, when i save.. but then it goes to save as.. I hae the option to save as rich text format, text document, text doc. ms dos format, or unicode text format. Does this change anything?

You have to remember im a ubernoob.. so if u could explain in ubernoob terms it would be a great help.
    Any way to get in that new server address on windows xp... ill take it.

someone pleaes help me .. i am having such a hard time saving/changing the file after i add the 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com ......

when i save it .. its always a text document.. and if i try to rename... it doesn't have .txt at the end... someone plz help .. yes call me stupid .. but plz help ...
    Last edited by tekron; 2009-09-16 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Once the file is saved, right click on the file itself and go to rename. Delete .txt from the end, and click through the dialogue box that comes up. Does that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast