Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ECID SHSH on file - Goodbye Warranty ?

Default ECID SHSH on file - Goodbye Warranty ?
    Till now we never had this kind of situation

the above image says "Goodbye Warranty ?"
    Apple Employees can easily identify whether its J/A/U'd or not.

is there any solution available for this problem ??

Umm.... What problem exactly? zero out your phone and restore it a couple times.... They will never know you jailbroke it.

Quote Originally Posted by vikram View Post

read saurik's post again... you don't have to be jailbroken to use his 'service'... he's encouraging all 3GS users to do this even if they don't want to JB. The ECID can be exposed without hacking the phone at all, all this picture shows is that you entered that data into a field on his servers... doesn't prove anything.

On top of that, if you restore the only way they are ever going to see that message is by jailbreaking again and installing Cydia.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

you make a good point, about apple being able to use the DB as evidence.

but you could sent the data without having jail broken or violating the TOS.

if apple tries to lock me out ill make a fuss

didnt think of that thought, it being a hit list for apple. nice catch
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

@JedixJarf @sirsycho
    even after 100 clean restores.
    anyone can say that a particular phone can be downgradeable or not.
    that's it.

Apple may use this for validating warranty. (by changing host file !)

@JedixJarf @sirsycho
    even after 100 clean restores.
    anyone can say that a particular phone can be downgradeable or not.
    that's it.

Apple may use this for validating warranty. (by changing host file !)
    so if I understand you correctly, you're saying that Apple can change their hosts file to point at saurik's server and attempt to install an older (and no longer officially signed) IPSW in an attempt to deny warranty coverage??

If that is the case....

First off, I seriously doubt they'd go through the trouble. Second, just because your SHSH shows up in saurik's database doesn't mean you JB'd your phone (thereby voiding your warranty... or so Apple would have you believe). If you're that paranoid, don't JB, always update when apple says and be happy with the experience they dictate to you. In my admittedly non-professional opinion, they'd have to have a much better case for denying your warranty claim than the fact that your phone's ECID/SHSH data shows up in a database which doesn't require hacking for it to end up there.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsycho View Post
    If you're that paranoid, don't JB, always update when apple says and be happy with the experience they dictate to you
    I love to JB ! Very soon we all will know what exactly it is !

Using old firmwares doesn't violate your warranty. Everyone should be using this service, whether or not they have ever jailbroken their devices. That's the beauty of the new caching signature server model: it doesn't imply jailbreaking. All of my friends, even the ones who are not jailbreaking, are using it, and you should get all of your friends using it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Using old firmwares doesn't violate your warranty. Everyone should be using this service, whether or not they have ever jailbroken their devices. That's the beauty of the new caching signature server model: it doesn't imply jailbreaking. All of my friends, even the ones who are not jailbreaking, are using it, and you should get all of your friends using it as well.
    If apple sees alot of requests from your server for Ecid hashes is there anyway they can start blocking it in the future? I know that you could always use a proxy of some sort.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willdj79 View Post
    If apple sees alot of requests from your server for Ecid hashes is there anyway they can start blocking it in the future? I know that you could always use a proxy of some sort.
    I'm sure they could start blocking it. They probably won't and if they do saurik can simply use a proxy such as TOR to use different originating IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Hi Saurik, Thanks for replying.

Solution for "ECID SHSH on file - Goodbye Warranty ?"

Cydia ECID Bank
    - Collects ECID related files.
    - Should generate some kind of passcode.
    - soon after downgrading user should make "ECID Files" private. Enhanced security !
    - Again when downgrading is required user should make "ECID Files" public with the help of passcode. This allows him a downgrade.
    - Before claiming a warranty (just in case), user should be able to make "ECID ..." private.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Saurik, Thanks for replying.

Solution for "ECID SHSH on file - Goodbye Warranty ?"

Cydia ECID Bank
    - Collects ECID related files.
    - Should generate some kind of passcode.
    - soon after downgrading user should make "ECID Files" private. Enhanced security !
    - Again when downgrading is required user should make "ECID Files" public with the help of passcode. This allows him a downgrade.
    - Before claiming a warranty (just in case), user should be able to make "ECID ..." private.
    That would work for enhance security but seems totally unnecessary. As saurik said, the presence of your ECID in his cache does not imply jailbreaking and does not invalidate your warranty. If you need warranty service you can simply install the standard Apple firmware before sending it in. They may still have the ability to check the iPhone/iPod to see if it has been jailbroken through variables/registers in the phone, but I have not heard of them actually doing this to deny warranty claims.

Bottom line: Apple is not going to deny warranty claims based on the presence of an ECID in saurik's cache. If anything they will check the device for evidence of jailbreaking.
    Last edited by scc4fun; 2009-09-16 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added bottom line for clarity