Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Success/Failure stories?

any one can point out some clear instruction how to do the downgrade for users who did not back up the files and just need to take the device back from 3.1 to 3 or 3.01 please

thanks

Unfortunately, if you did not send your ECID to Cydia when it was available last week then you will not be able to downgrade to 3.0 or 3.0.x from 3.1 You're stuck on 3.1, sorry.

If you want, you can use the Saurik method to restore in 3.1 which will save your ECID for a future downgrade/restore to 3.1 It will be good to do this so that when future firmwares come out you will at least be able to get back to 3.1 which could be important since 3.1 seems to be jailbreakable and future firmwares may not be.

**IMPORTANT**

If you are still using a JB iPhone running 3.0 or 3.0.1 do not use this method since it will put your phone on 3.1 and you will lose your jailbreak until the dev team releases a new one. Only do it if you're already on 3.1 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by plegra97 View Post
    Unfortunately, if you did not send your ECID to Cydia when it was available last week then you will not be able to downgrade to 3.0 or 3.0.x from 3.1 You're stuck on 3.1, sorry.

If you want, you can use the Saurik method to restore in 3.1 which will save your ECID for a future downgrade/restore to 3.1 It will be good to do this so that when future firmwares come out you will at least be able to get back to 3.1 which could be important since 3.1 seems to be jailbreakable and future firmwares may not be.

**IMPORTANT**

If you are still using a JB iPhone running 3.0 or 3.0.1 do not use this method since it will put your phone on 3.1 and you will lose your jailbreak until the dev team releases a new one. Only do it if you're already on 3.1 anyway.
    thanks very much so i just need to repet this please

if i understand correctly i wil not be able to go back to 3 or 3.0.1 and i have to wait for other soltion i get all the time the 3002 error on itunes when i try the Saurik method

If you are trying to use the Saurik method to revert back to 3.0 or 3.0.1 and did not get your ECID hashed then it won't work because it is trying to find your ECID on the Cydia server and, obviously, it isn't there.

So 3.0 firmware will find a carrier signal using 5.11.07 baseband?

can i use now while im on 3.1 the way of :

Grab and get Signed your ECID for iPhone 3GS OS 3.1
    Grab and get Signed your ECID for iPhone 3GS OS 3.1 | iPhone 3G S

and then after my files wil be in the server i wil be able to do it ?

or its to late as i did not do that while i was on 3 or 3.0.1 ?

thanks

If you are already on 3.1 then you can use Saurik's method of altering the "host" file and then using it to restore your iPhone to 3.1. Doing this will save your ECID on the Cydia server for future downgrades to 3.1.

If you are still using 3.0 or 3.0.1 but didn't get your ECID stored with Cydia last week than DO NOT DO THIS!!! You will get an error message if you try to go back to 3.0 or 3.0.1 and your only other option will be to upgrade your phone to 3.1 which is currently not jailbreakable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Took me a while but eventually I ended up downgrading and jailbreaking my iphone 3gs. Thanks Jay Freeman.

Quote Originally Posted by plegra97 View Post
    If you are already on 3.1 then you can use Saurik's method of altering the "host" file and then using it to restore your iPhone to 3.1. Doing this will save your ECID on the Cydia server for future downgrades to 3.1.

If you are still using 3.0 or 3.0.1 but didn't get your ECID stored with Cydia last week than DO NOT DO THIS!!! You will get an error message if you try to go back to 3.0 or 3.0.1 and your only other option will be to upgrade your phone to 3.1 which is currently not jailbreakable.
    thanks so in easy words for me there is nothing to do now ?

just wait for any one to patch the 3.1 other wise i am stcuk correct ?

For now you can sit still since you're already on 3.1 But, if a jailbreak doesn't come out for 3.1 in the next few days you may want to use Cydia's method of restoring by using the altered "host file" since that will at least save your ECID so that you can always downgrade to 3.1 in the future. You don't want to sit around waiting for the 3.1 jailbreak and then get shut out on having your ECID for 3.1 saved. Apple shut down the ability to go back to 3.0 so I assume they will do the same thing for 3.1 eventually.

thanks very much your time and tech info i have now did via the new host file alter an update on my phone again to 3.1 does this mean i am ok now ?

Yes, if you used the altered host file method to restore your phone to 3.1 than your ECID info should be saved in the Cydia system now. This is what Saurik wrote about this earlier this evening:

"You can also start using the server and try to do a restore to any firmware (including 3.1): this will register you for the service."

thanks again i just update what i did

in itunes 9 using the moded host file i tried version 3 and got error 3002 tried version 3.0.1 and got error 3002 tried 3.1 and all ok

all this done by pressing shift and restore offcourse .

am i ok .

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well. Im on iTunes 9. And when i try to alt or ctrl click the restore. its not allwing me to chose the ipsw file for 3.0.

Tried to instal itunes 8. but after instal when i try start it, its says cant read itunes library.itl since its made by a newer version of itunes.

I realy want to try this method to get back on 3o from 31, since i dont realy cant remember if i press make my lifer easy or not..

Any ideas or help??

Error 3002 at restore

Quote Originally Posted by Murfunit View Post
    As was I but I downgraded with no problem. In fact I'm sure many people were on 3.0.1. If I understand correctly 3.0 or 3.0.1 only matters as it applies to what you downgrade to. Not what you were using when you submitted your info.

My thinking is that your ECID isn't on file with Saurik.
    It was though. I did hit "make my life easier" and I remember going into Cydia and seeing the message on the top that my ECID was on file. At the time I had no idea what that meant, but it was there! lol

I tried restoring again and got a completely different error message, because I didn't do my homework quite well enough and didn't realize I had to add to the host file. Now I'm getting 3002.

Default No luck, please HELP!!!
    So I did what theinstructions said about going into CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, when I get there I used notepad to open file and get the following;
    # Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    So at the very end of all this is where i typed in: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com. saved and closed file.

Now I opened iTunes and then proceed to put iPhone in recovery mode, when asked to restoreI clicked OK and the I hold down Shift key & press restore and I DON'T get the option to select firmware, I get "restore & update" Am I doing something wrong?? Please HELP!!!! Thanks!!!!

So, I tried downgrading my 3Gs but iTunes gave me a 3002 error message.

Im using Apples own 3.0 IPSW btw...

Default No luck, please HELP!!!
    So I did what theinstructions said about going into CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, when I get there I used notepad to open file and get the following;
    # Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    So at the very end of all this is where i typed in: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com. saved and closed file.

Now I opened iTunes and then proceed to put iPhone in recovery mode, when asked to restoreI clicked OK and the I hold down Shift key & press restore and I DON'T get the option to select firmware, I get "restore & update" Am I doing something wrong?? Please HELP!!!! Thanks!!!!

Well. I restored with Saurik's method. All went fine.
    I did the Redsn0w with some problems, but finally got it to work.
    The only thing is that I can't connect to my carrier.
    What should/can I do. seems like the iRecovery software doesn't work for me at all.
    Tell me what to do.
    Thanks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast