• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Samsung Will Reportedly Be Releasing Phones With Bendable Screens Next Year

    Bloomberg reports that Samsung is planning on releasing phones with bendable screens early next year. The company plans on launching two handsets with a bendable OLED screen, which the company has been showcasing since the last few years now, though it is yet to see a commercial application.


    One of the devices will feature a screen that folds into half like a cosmetic compact, while the second device will feature a 5-inch screen that expands to 8-inch when completely unfurled that will make it act like a tablet.

    The handsets are being developed under the codename “Project Valley,” and are reportedly being prepped for an unveiling at the Mobile World Congress in February next year. None of the handsets will be released under the company’s Galaxy S moniker though.



    Samsung has used its dual-edge AMOLED displays on its Galaxy S series of handset to great success. The Galaxy S7 edge, in particular, has been praised by many for being the perfect Android smartphone in the market right now, with its dual-edge display giving it a unique advantage of its competitors.

    Apple is reported to switch to OLED displays on the iPhone in 2017, which Samsung will reportedly supply a fair share to the company with. So by launching devices with foldable displays, Samsung will be able to one-up Apple even before it releases the first iPhone to make use of an OLED display. This move will give Samsung a unique advantage not only over Apple, but also over other OEMs in the market, and could possibly help it strengthen its lead over them.

    OLED displays offer a number of advantages over other display technologies in the market right now, including being thinner, more power efficient, and lighter than them. This is why the industry is seeing a shift towards OLED displays, with Samsung sitting right at the top of the supply-chain thanks to its prowess in this technology.

    What do you think about flexible OLED displays? Do you want to see Apple use them on the iPhone as well?

    [Via Bloomberg]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung Will Reportedly Be Releasing Phones With Bendable Screens Next Year started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 24 Comments
    1. Ryaninfg's Avatar
      Ryaninfg -
      "That's awesome"....[emoji23]
      It would sure be nice to see Apple change their design. I think I'm gonna ride out my 5s and look at something else.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryaninfg View Post
      "That's awesome"....[emoji23]
      It would sure be nice to see Apple change their design. I think I'm gonna ride out my 5s and look at something else.
      I agree! We need some innovation with iOS and Apple in general. The updates are expected and stale these days. I really hoping for something big with next years iPhone release. We shall see.
    1. pnunez1310's Avatar
      pnunez1310 -
      This is something apple should have released a long time ago. Along with water proof.
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      What does a bendy screen do for you guys? I see it as pointless unless it is implemented in something that needs a flexible display... my phone is not one of those things that needs a bendy screen in my opinion.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      What does a bendy screen do for you guys? I see it as pointless unless it is implemented in something that needs a flexible display... my phone is not one of those things that needs a bendy screen in my opinion.
      Exactly. We have to understand it's still just a phone. To be honest we don't know if it's true but good luck texting on it.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      What does a bendy screen do for you guys? I see it as pointless unless it is implemented in something that needs a flexible display... my phone is not one of those things that needs a bendy screen in my opinion.
      I'd rather it be "bendy" than break :] I guess the above points are not so much about the bendy screen. Rather they are about pushing the envelope. Something we haven't seen Apple do in some time with IOS and iPhone.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      What does a bendy screen do for you guys? I see it as pointless unless it is implemented in something that needs a flexible display... my phone is not one of those things that needs a bendy screen in my opinion.
      If it is flexible enough to bend around my wrist with magnetically clasp that come together, it would be 100x better iWatch. [Got the TV show Chuck flash back]
      No more storing phone in my pocket and having it located in more convenient location makes it worth it.
      Just make sure it is scratch resistant, I doubt they can since it has to be flexible...
    1. xushi's Avatar
      xushi -
      Yea I'm not touching that with a 2 meter pole...

      1) It's Samsung.. I've had it with their "ignore current phone's software/security and focus on releasing 10 other phones ASAP" attitude

      2) It's the "first of it's kind" kind of bendy phone.. I'll wait a few years until they iron out all the major flaws

      3) No matter how bendy it is, IMO there will be weak points.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      I'd rather it be "bendy" than break :] I guess the above points are not so much about the bendy screen. Rather they are about pushing the envelope. Something we haven't seen Apple do in some time with IOS and iPhone.
      I think that's because the market isn't ready for bendy screens. Sure you gotta start somewhere but not to mention expensive.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      If it is flexible enough to bend around my wrist with magnetically clasp that come together, it would be 100x better iWatch. [Got the TV show Chuck flash back]
      No more storing phone in my pocket and having it located in more convenient location makes it worth it.
      Just make sure it is scratch resistant, I doubt they can since it has to be flexible...
      Why would Apple or any company for that matter make a phone that you can use as a watch and kill their watch product?
    1. WHUDS's Avatar
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      What does a bendy screen do for you guys? I see it as pointless unless it is implemented in something that needs a flexible display... my phone is not one of those things that needs a bendy screen in my opinion.
      Really you do not see:

      Bendable, hence less chance of screen breakage

      Water proof, hence you get caught in downpour and your phone is not fried

      I can't believe you do not see real advantages.

      its enough for me to go back to android if Apple doesn't do this
    1. mwhite67's Avatar
      mwhite67 -
      "My phone would be great if only I could bend it", said no one ever.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      Really you do not see:

      Bendable, hence less chance of screen breakage

      Water proof, hence you get caught in downpour and your phone is not fried

      I can't believe you do not see real advantages.

      its enough for me to go back to android if Apple doesn't do this
      Less chance? If it's a screen it will break. It's amazing I've owned all the iPhone's dice the 3G and I haven't broken a screen yet. So pretty sure whoever has broken screens will break their bendy ones too. And what makes you think it's waterproof? Phones already are so water resistant that they are fine the way they are.
    1. Bo Troxell's Avatar
      Bo Troxell -
      What dah ****



      Not for me.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      samsung late again, bend gate already happened
    1. therandy's Avatar
      therandy -
      But will it Blend? #blendtech
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
      Less chance? If it's a screen it will break. It's amazing I've owned all the iPhone's dice the 3G and I haven't broken a screen yet. So pretty sure whoever has broken screens will break their bendy ones too. And what makes you think it's waterproof? Phones already are so water resistant that they are fine the way they are.
      Same here. Upgraded every year since 3G and never had a broken screen or have had to warranty a phone yet.
    1. SepticTank's Avatar
      SepticTank -
      Quote Originally Posted by mwhite67 View Post
      "My phone would be great if only I could bend it", said no one ever.
      Yet if Apple created this, you and every other Apple robot would would be dying to get it. Try to enjoy what others like too. Both Android and iOS based phones are excellent. Geez. Hating on anything other than Apple is so old. Yes. Please rip on me. Don't care. Just sharing my opinion.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
      Yet if Apple created this, you and every other Apple robot would would be dying to get it. Try to enjoy what others like too. Both Android and iOS based phones are excellent. Geez. Hating on anything other than Apple is so old. Yes. Please rip on me. Don't care. Just sharing my opinion.
      You realize this is Mod My iPhone, right? People who love iPhone join this site. People who love Android join some other site. Not sure how hard that is to understand.
    1. rolandgabor's Avatar
      rolandgabor -
      Quote Originally Posted by mwhite67 View Post
      "My phone would be great if only I could bend it", said no one ever.
      This is not only about a bendable phone but more of the possibilities using the technology. As the dude said it clearly in the presentation. I'm not understanding why everyone is thinking phone only.