• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Jony Ive talks relationship with Steve Jobs, design culture & more in interview

    60 Minutes, Charlie Rose has shared another interview with Apple design head Jony Ive. The 35 minute interview with Charlie Rose and Ive discuss the qualities that “make Apple, Apple” and the role of design in the company’s identity.

    The interview focuses on the qualities that Apple looks for in employees to create a culture driven around innovation and design, noting that the focus is never monetary, but rather entirely design and product:

    We’re very clear about the hierarchies here. Our job isn’t to make money for Apple. Our job is to make the best products that we can. We trust if they are good and we trust if we are competent and we do our jobs in trying to describe them and we are competent in making them, they will be attractive and bought. They will be bought in volume and we will make money.
    In the interview Jony Ive tells a story of a time he and late Apple CEO Steve Jobs were shopping in Italy. I've described how both of them immediately noticed a certain change in reflection on a knife that was for sale, something that Ive believes shows how close he and Jobs were and just how like-minded they were when it came to noticing design qualities.

    Also on that relationship, Jony Ive talks about how in his early days of working with Jobs, he would try to get the former CEO to be slightly nicer when it came to analyzing design ideas. Jobs, however, didn’t buy Ive’s theory and said that Ive was too worried about wanting the rest of the design team to like him. Ive explains that this led to the culture of the team being focused on designing the best products, not letting “personal frailties” get involved.

    Ive was also asked about how he views himself, a designer of technology products, having to keep the idea of technical limitations in mind while creating the look of a device. Ive explained that one thing he’s always tried to be good at is admitting when he is wrong and tacking the full blame for his screw ups:

    I think I’m part artist, part designer, part engineer, part builder, and part craftsman. But in all of that, I’m comfortable with being surprised and being wrong and I’m the first person to raise my hand when something I thought would be good was actually appalling. It’s important to be very self-critical.
    The full 35 minute interview, if you are at all interested in the story behind many of Apple’s design decisions are below as videos in Hulu or Youtube.


    OR HULU (Requires Flash on OS X)
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/915873
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jony Ive talks relationship with Steve Jobs, design culture & more in interview started by Caiden Spencer View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Love Ives, he's incredibly talented and I hope he stays at Apple for the rest of his life.
    1. Ambi_Valence's Avatar
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      Love Ives, he's incredibly talented and I hope he stays at Apple for the rest of his life.
      No he’s not. He is overrated and pretentious. Probably a nice guy though.
      How contrived are his interviews too. Jeez Jony, just be yourself - do you HAVE to play to the cameras ALL the time?
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      All I know Is that this guy is filthy rich!
    1. Caiden Spencer's Avatar
      Caiden Spencer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
      No he’s not. He is overrated and pretentious. Probably a nice guy though.
      How contrived are his interviews too. Jeez Jony, just be yourself - do you HAVE to play to the cameras ALL the time?
      I agree he is very pretentious.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
      No he’s not. He is overrated and pretentious. Probably a nice guy though.
      How contrived are his interviews too. Jeez Jony, just be yourself - do you HAVE to play to the cameras ALL the time?
      Uhh yes he is. He's definitely not overrated, he's designed some of the best selling electronics in the world! His history proves that he's very talented and deserves recognition. That's just his persona, he's always been that way. One could say you're pretentious by the way you talk, but that just might be you. Stop judging someone you hardly know.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Caiden Spencer View Post
      I agree he is very pretentious.
      Maybe that's the way Apple wants him to be in front of the camera, or maybe that's just him. You don't know.
    1. Ambi_Valence's Avatar
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      Uhh yes he is. He's definitely not overrated, he's designed some of the best selling electronics in the world! His history proves that he's very talented and deserves recognition. That's just his persona, he's always been that way. One could say you're pretentious by the way you talk, but that just might be you. Stop judging someone you hardly know.
      In that case, Stop judging someone YOU hardly know. He’s design cheif which means he didn’t necessarily come up with those designs - he just got the credit for them. Also there are interviews of that guy before he became a blow hard. He has NOT always been that way.

      So anyhow, that’s his persona right? The way Apple told him to behave, ergo something Apple told him to pretend……... to be. The very definition of pretentious. How many more feet do you think you can fit in your mouth?
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
      In that case, Stop judging someone YOU hardly know. He’s design cheif which means he didn’t necessarily come up with those designs - he just got the credit for them. Also there are interviews of that guy before he became a blow hard. He has NOT always been that way.

      So anyhow, that’s his persona right? The way Apple told him to behave, ergo something Apple told him to pretend……... to be. The very definition of pretentious. How many more feet do you think you can fit in your mouth?
      A hell of a lot more than you're trying to dish me! And I wasn't judging, I was using that as an example which obviously blew right over your head. Lol you have no idea what your talking about, Ives has a team he works with but he has the final say, so yes he comes up with the designs. Stop trying to put someone down that you don't even know.

      Definition of pretentious: "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed"

      Ives has the talent obviously so he's not pretending to be anything. Apple may want him to speak the way he does because it's easy to understand. Then again that might just be him now. Who are you to judge? Show me the proof that Ives has not done some amazing designs at Apple and I'll shut my mouth right now. Quit acting like your better than someone else you don't even know.
    1. Ambi_Valence's Avatar
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      A hell of a lot more than you're trying to dish me! And I wasn't judging, I was using that as an example which obviously blew right over your head. Lol you have no idea what your talking about, Ives has a team he works with but he has the final say, so yes he comes up with the designs. Stop trying to put someone down that you don't even know.

      Definition of pretentious: "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed"

      Ives has the talent obviously so he's not pretending to be anything. Apple may want him to speak the way he does because it's easy to understand. Then again that might just be him now. Who are you to judge? Show me the proof that Ives has not done some amazing designs at Apple and I'll shut my mouth right now. Quit acting like your better than someone else you don't even know.
      Well it seems you can get both of your own feet in your mouth. I’ll see if I can get one of mine in there too;

      It matters not who asks or whether you do it on your own volition. His attempt to come across all husky voiced, mysterious and important is. pretentious.
      Show me the proof he has done some amazing designs. Not his team, him.
      By logic alone if nothing else - If everything that comes out of Apple is attributed to him, he must be overrated as it’s patently obvious that is not the case, you can see that surely?

      He has the final say so he comes up with the designs. Balderdash. My MD has the final say but comes up with zero of our electrical designs as he has no knowledge of electronics at all.
      Guess what, when I had my house done I brought in a team of people and I had the final say, makes me a great designer right?

      Look, Ive isn’t going to marry or adopt you anytime soon, so there’s no need to keep up with this blind adulation. Get a life man, what you do is probably just as good as he.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      The dude is famous by association...
      Did not want to come into this thread, clicked on wrong button so I am just giving my 2 cents.