• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • FCC Approves Wi-Fi Calling Waiver for Verizon, Will Soon Offer Feature to Subscribers


    Just last month, AT&T was granted the ability to offer Wi-Fi calling to its subscribers via a waiver that would allow the company to implement RTT (real-time text) technology into its Wi-Fi calling capabilities for the hard-at-hearing rather than TTY (teletypewriter) technology. AT&T's argument was that TTY does not perform well over Wi-Fi connections and that T-Mobile and Sprint, who have been offering Wi-Fi calling for some time, had jumped the gun without waiting for this waiver.

    It would appear that Verizon Wireless has now been granted the same waiver, which means that soon in the future, Verizon Wireless subscribers will be able to take advantage of Wi-Fi calling on their smartphones, including iOS 9 iPhones.

    There is not yet a specified date for when the feature will be available to Verizon Wireless subscribers, but it's definitely coming. In AT&T's case, the feature was made available within a week after the waiver was approved, and users just needed to enable the feature from their iPhone's Settings application. The process should be mostly similar for Verizon Wireless customers, assuming the feature goes live sooner rather than later.

    Wi-Fi calling is useful because when your cellular signal is lower, call quality suffers. With Wi-Fi calling, you will generally have a better Internet connection, which means clearer phone calls.

    Source: MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: FCC Approves Wi-Fi Calling Waiver for Verizon, Will Soon Offer Wi-Fi Calling started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
    1. jackbauerctu's Avatar
      jackbauerctu -
      I've had wifi calling on Verizon since iPhone 6 launched.
    1. buttamix's Avatar
      buttamix -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      I've had wifi calling on Verizon since iPhone 6 launched.
      How there is no option to enable it
    1. buttamix's Avatar
      buttamix -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      I've had wifi calling on Verizon since iPhone 6 launched.
      Unless you downloaded an app voip
    1. jackbauerctu's Avatar
      jackbauerctu -
      iPhone 6 came VoLTE capable right out of the box. Verizon started this feature called "Advanced Calling 1.0" which enabled voice over data by going into settings, cellular, enable LTE, voice and data. Now before someone goes on about "VoLTE isn't wifi calling" and calling me an idiot, I'm very aware that VoLTE means "voice over LTE". However, this feature by default enabled voice over data (LTE AND wifi). I verified this with Verizon tech support when my network extender stopped working in my home but my calls were no longer dropping when I was connected to wifi.

      In short, anyone with an iPhone 6 having the "advanced calling" feature on their phone and enabling LTE for voice and data has had wifi calling.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      iPhone 6 came VoLTE capable right out of the box. Verizon started this feature called "Advanced Calling 1.0" which enabled voice over data by going into settings, cellular, enable LTE, voice and data. Now before someone goes on about "VoLTE isn't wifi calling" and calling me an idiot, I'm very aware that VoLTE means "voice over LTE". However, this feature by default enabled voice over data (LTE AND wifi). I verified this with Verizon tech support when my network extender stopped working in my home but my calls were no longer dropping when I was connected to wifi.

      In short, anyone with an iPhone 6 having the "advanced calling" feature on their phone and enabling LTE for voice and data has had wifi calling.
      Does your status bar says "Verizon wifi"?
    1. jackbauerctu's Avatar
      jackbauerctu -
      No. There is no indication that you are on voice over data at all. And the handoff between cellular and wifi is seamless. However, it can't go from wifi to cellular. The call will drop of you start on wifi and lose the wifi signal even if you have a strong cellular connection.
    1. Nuff Said's Avatar
      Nuff Said -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      No. There is no indication that you are on voice over data at all. And the handoff between cellular and wifi is seamless. However, it can't go from wifi to cellular. The call will drop of you start on wifi and lose the wifi signal even if you have a strong cellular connection.
      I call bs. I have all of that and my call had never dropped. I do consider a form of wifi calling when I my no SIM card iPhone 5 rings secondary to my i6.
    1. jackbauerctu's Avatar
      jackbauerctu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
      I call bs. I have all of that and my call had never dropped. I do consider a form of wifi calling when I my no SIM card iPhone 5 rings secondary to my i6.
      I don't understand what you mean with that last part but this is what the Verizon tech told me and sure enough when I'm on wifi and begin a call and leave my house the call usually drops.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      No. There is no indication that you are on voice over data at all. And the handoff between cellular and wifi is seamless. However, it can't go from wifi to cellular. The call will drop of you start on wifi and lose the wifi signal even if you have a strong cellular connection.
      Don't kid yourself. You don't have wifi calling. Yet.

      "A Verizon spokeswoman confirmed to FierceWirelessTech that some iPhone users can make Wi-Fi calls, but there are some conditions. Users need to have advanced calling enabled on their iPhone, they need to download the latest Verizon Messages app from the Apple App Store, and they need to enable calling within that app. If a call is being made from the native dialer, it's still going to go through the cellular network."
    1. qumahlin's Avatar
      qumahlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
      iPhone 6 came VoLTE capable right out of the box. Verizon started this feature called "Advanced Calling 1.0" which enabled voice over data by going into settings, cellular, enable LTE, voice and data. Now before someone goes on about "VoLTE isn't wifi calling" and calling me an idiot, I'm very aware that VoLTE means "voice over LTE". However, this feature by default enabled voice over data (LTE AND wifi). I verified this with Verizon tech support when my network extender stopped working in my home but my calls were no longer dropping when I was connected to wifi.

      In short, anyone with an iPhone 6 having the "advanced calling" feature on their phone and enabling LTE for voice and data has had wifi calling.
      No. VoLTE is NOT WiFi calling. It requires you to have LTE/Cellular.

      WiFi calling means you do not need a cellular connection whatsoever. You could live in a building where you get zero verizon signal, but as long as you have WiFi you can still make phone calls. The only way to use this right now is through the Verizon App.
    1. jackbauerctu's Avatar
      jackbauerctu -
      Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
      No. VoLTE is NOT WiFi calling. It requires you to have LTE/Cellular.

      WiFi calling means you do not need a cellular connection whatsoever. You could live in a building where you get zero verizon signal, but as long as you have WiFi you can still make phone calls. The only way to use this right now is through the Verizon App.
      Guess you didn't read the part where I said I'm aware VoLTE isn't wifi calling. I'm also aware of what VOIP is and means. And it's such a coincidence that you just explained my scenario exactly. I have zero signal in my house. None. Nada. Zilch. But magically when I'm connected to wifi, I can make phone calls!! How???? I know my 19 dollar router doesn't broadcast a Verizon LTE frequency.

      I mean, to be fair, Verizon doesn't readily admit that wifi calling works already. But I'll trust my phone working and a Verizon wireless tech support person...
    1. jackbauerctu's Avatar
      jackbauerctu -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      Don't kid yourself. You don't have wifi calling. Yet.

      "A Verizon spokeswoman confirmed to FierceWirelessTech that some iPhone users can make Wi-Fi calls, but there are some conditions. Users need to have advanced calling enabled on their iPhone, they need to download the latest Verizon Messages app from the Apple App Store, and they need to enable calling within that app. If a call is being made from the native dialer, it's still going to go through the cellular network."
      I don't have the app tho....I know you guys don't believe me lol but I swear to god it works!