• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • New Survey Says 48% of Apple Music Users Have Stopped Using the Service


    Consumer research firm MusicWatch recently released a report stating only 11% out of the 77% of iOS users who are aware of Apple Music are using the music streaming service. The report also noted that of the users who signed up for the three-month trial, almost half (48%) have said they’ve stopped using the service. 61% have already turned off auto-renewal subscription on Apple Music as well. It seems to us the Cupertino-based company is having some trouble retaining their customers.

    On the flip side, approximately two-thirds (64%) of Apple Music users said they were very likely if not extremely likely to pay for the streaming service when the trial version is up. it was found that 30% of current users listen to Beats1 Radio, meanwhile 27% listeners use Apple Music Connect. According to MusicWatch managing partner Russ Crupnick,

    In terms of benchmarking Apple Music, 40 percent of iOS users are buying digital downloads from iTunes, suggesting trial of Apple Music could be higher. That’s the disadvantage of not being the first mover in a market where very good services currently exist.
    After this report was released, Apple provided a statement to The Verge noting that 79% of users who signed up for the service are still using it. Therefore, noting they are actually doing better than what MusicWatch has reported. Which do you believe is the truth? Let us know in the comment section below.

    Source: MusicWatch, The Verge
    This article was originally published in forum thread: New Survey Says 48% of Apple Music Users Have Stopped Using the Service started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 20 Comments
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      I heard the same but music watch wasn't a reliable source
    1. vitaminme's Avatar
      vitaminme -
      Me too lately.
    1. littlelisa63's Avatar
      littlelisa63 -
      Not me
    1. novadam's Avatar
      novadam -
      it's not really doing much for me. The copyright protection makes it so I can't stream offline tracks to my Sonos system at home. Which sucks.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      I've used it twice.
    1. valkraider's Avatar
      valkraider -
      Music is a steaming pile of poo. I have used the pay versions of Pandora and Spotify for our family. Trying Music screwed up all kinds of things for our family and our iCloud setups.

      But the most annoying thing is how they have changed the apple music players themselves. Music and iTunes are now nearly completely useless for me and I can't use the 50GB of music that I have had for over a decade. The latest update of Music for iOS is giving me the "join Music" ad pop up any time I try to play anything on my phone - from my own music library.


      --
      Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.
    1. Supa_xL's Avatar
      Supa_xL -
      I'm still using it. Has positives but there are some substantial negatives. It's a step in the right direction but still not on the level of spotify. Maybe in the future it could come close but right now no
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      I have been using it since day 1 and really like it! I like the integration with the existing iTunes app so when I download for offline play it mixes right in with my own library. Curated playlists are hit and miss, but that’s the same for any such playlists.

      One particular feature to Apple Music I love is that I can ask Siri to play a top song or songs from any year, month, or even day! That has been a lot of fun and brought back a lot of good memories of the “good ol’ days”
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by Supa_xL View Post
      I'm still using it. Has positives but there are some substantial negatives. It's a step in the right direction but still not on the level of spotify. Maybe in the future it could come close but right now no
      What are the substantial negatives??

      It's always frustrating when people post a comment like this with no detail whatsoever.
    1. Supa_xL's Avatar
      Supa_xL -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      What are the substantial negatives??

      It's always frustrating when people post a comment like this with no detail whatsoever.
      Issues I've experienced are the copyright issues, minor issues such as shuffling not actually shuffling, sound quality not as good as spotify, artwork issues even tho that was fixed with the release of iOS 8.4.1 but still was a problem, sometimes when you want to sync your own music to your phone from iTunes has issues doing that with some songs not being aloud to sync for reasons I couldn't tell you. These are my own personal negatives. May vary for others. Issues to me that are holding it back
    1. gldoorii's Avatar
      gldoorii -
      No issues here at all with Apple Music and I prefer it to the other services I've used. I have no complaints at all.
    1. benk9's Avatar
      benk9 -
      I get deezer for free with EE addon, so if apple can match that I have no reason to move.
    1. Eagleye's Avatar
      Eagleye -
      I stopped using it as well. I had a paid Spotify account and I just really like the way everything is organized... it's very fluid and intuitive. I found Apple Music as a big let down as I expected more from Apple. Apple Music works, sure, but it's 2015 and I was thinking coming from Apple, it would be some big revolution in the music streaming industry - and it just isn't. Spotify's 'Discover Weekly' is usually Spot-on (pun intended) to my music interests and their 'Genre's & Moods' mixes/collections are awesome.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      That 48% figure is actually not as bad as I was expecting, I thought it would be more than 1/2 the people who joined would leave and go back to whatever steaming service they had. But I still think that 48% figure is a bit on the optimistic side...
    1. StaceyMJ86's Avatar
      StaceyMJ86 -
      I still haven't activated my trial yet. I don't plan to test it out until early September or October. I'm happy with Pandora for right now.
    1. Magnum's Avatar
      Magnum -
      I use this **** everyday. I can listen to any album I want to anytime I want to and even save it to listen to offline so I don't blow through my data every month. Still won't pay for it when my trial up though [emoji23] it's worth it but I'm just not going to lol
    1. Wolftamer's Avatar
      Wolftamer -
      The interface is...to be brutally honest...a steaming pile of cow dung. Nowhere near as good as Spotify. They tried packing way too much into a single app.
    1. SirZyrion's Avatar
      SirZyrion -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      What are the substantial negatives??

      It's always frustrating when people post a comment like this with no detail whatsoever.
      The interface it FAR from intuitive compared to Spotify. For example, in Spotify, if I'm listening to their new Discovery Weekly playlist (which ROCKS) and I want to listen to other songs by the same artist, I can just tap on "Go to Artist..." Same process if I want to hear more songs on that album. Just tap "Go to Album..." Artist information includes a bio on Spotify, as well as related artists. I've often found myself blissfully lost in Spofity Inception-style, discovering new artists, and sharing new songs with friends.

      Apple Music, on the other hand, touts curated playlists to discover new music, but when I hear a song I like and want to explore that album or that artist's catalog, I have to search for it. I get that they spent a lot of money on a staff to curate these playlists so they want to drive users toward them, but if their point is to discover music, the interface is shooting them in the foot.

      Let's not forget that to get options for songs, I have to either tap the "..." in the lower right corner, the share square (square with the up arrow in it) in the lower left, the bullet list icon next to the music controls for a completely useless "Up Next..." view that I don't care about, tape the song title to get the old school 5 star rating system, or tap the heart icon. Yet the heart icon never seems to "stick" to songs I like. And when I "like" songs, what does it do? And why do I need the heart if I can rate tracks? Seems like track rating would be MUCH more valuable than heart/un-heart. Why is the 5-Star track rating system hidden?

      And that's just in "Now Playing" view. In album or playlist view, things are moved around again so that I can Save to My Music, Heart/un-heart, share, or "..." albums, and then I get a separate "..." menu for each song on each album. Share here gives TOTALLY different options than it does in Now Playing mode btw, but that's because it's redundant to the "Share..." option under the "..." menu.

      It's all very disjointed and not well thought out which is extremly odd coming from a company that prides itself on its thoughtful design.
    1. Sage I's Avatar
      Sage I -
      I don't know why so many aren't feeling the whole Apple Music thing... It's been so awesome for me personally... I frequently buy music from iTunes, at least $100 a month but sometimes as much as a $100 a week... Now I see new albums come out or I'm looking at an older release and instead of 30 second samples of the songs in the iTunes app I can just search for it within the music app, add it to my library or not and listen to it in its entirety before I decide to buy... I've prolly only spent $100 on music since iOS 8.4 came out... Don't really care for any of the radio features of apple music as I've been using and perfecting my stations on Pandora for years now, my Hawaiian station is so on point i will always use Pandora just for that station if nothing else...
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by SirZyrion View Post
      The interface it FAR from intuitive compared to Spotify. For example, in Spotify, if I'm listening to their new Discovery Weekly playlist (which ROCKS) and I want to listen to other songs by the same artist, I can just tap on "Go to Artist..." Same process if I want to hear more songs on that album. Just tap "Go to Album..." Artist information includes a bio on Spotify, as well as related artists. I've often found myself blissfully lost in Spofity Inception-style, discovering new artists, and sharing new songs with friends.

      Apple Music, on the other hand, touts curated playlists to discover new music, but when I hear a song I like and want to explore that album or that artist's catalog, I have to search for it. I get that they spent a lot of money on a staff to curate these playlists so they want to drive users toward them, but if their point is to discover music, the interface is shooting them in the foot.

      Let's not forget that to get options for songs, I have to either tap the "..." in the lower right corner, the share square (square with the up arrow in it) in the lower left, the bullet list icon next to the music controls for a completely useless "Up Next..." view that I don't care about, tape the song title to get the old school 5 star rating system, or tap the heart icon. Yet the heart icon never seems to "stick" to songs I like. And when I "like" songs, what does it do? And why do I need the heart if I can rate tracks? Seems like track rating would be MUCH more valuable than heart/un-heart. Why is the 5-Star track rating system hidden?

      And that's just in "Now Playing" view. In album or playlist view, things are moved around again so that I can Save to My Music, Heart/un-heart, share, or "..." albums, and then I get a separate "..." menu for each song on each album. Share here gives TOTALLY different options than it does in Now Playing mode btw, but that's because it's redundant to the "Share..." option under the "..." menu.

      It's all very disjointed and not well thought out which is extremly odd coming from a company that prides itself on its thoughtful design.
      The go to artist/album buttons would be nice, but I don't necessarily see them as "killer features" that would make or break my whole experience. The heart and rating systems do seem disjointed or competing in some way. I think the heart is to have that artist/genre added to your profile, but then what does the rating do? That is confusing.

      Conversely, I don't understand how you can make it known on Spotify what you prefer or not. I thought they had a similar 5 star system you call "old school" but what do they have now? I don't see anything. Do they just assume you love everything you listen to? I would say some way of indicating my preferences is better than nothing.

      Also, I'm not sure why you complain about apple having a useless "up next" button when Spotify has a nearly identical "queue" button. This just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining about a universal feature that many probably use and you just happen to not like.

      The biggest complaints I've seen on Apple's music apps is their confusion and constantly changing buttons and functions based on where you are in the app. Unfortunately that's the price paid for trying to make an interface more personalized and optimized for the given view. They are trying to provide the best functions based on what you are currently doing. To some that may be confusing while to others it may be helpful. You need only use the apps for a short time before you learn these optimizations and can appreciate them for what they are. The other way to go is to "dumb down" the experiences by offering limited, yet universal but not always useful, functions in the same layout throughout the app for the sake of appeasing first-time users.