• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's Native Ability to Block Ads in iOS 9 to be a "Game Changer" in the Industry


    According to a new report from both PageFair and Adobe, the number of internet users blocking ads has exploded in the last year. With the upcoming release of iOS 9, Apple will also allow users to natively block content in mobile Safari for the first time. This change is said to be a “game changer” in an industry that already costs publishers more than $20 billion per year. For example, publishers could lose $21.8 billion in 2015 thanks to the practice and this number could potentially double to more than $41 billion by 2016.

    As many of you can imagine, companies that depend on web ads for revenue have been granted a reprieve with the shift to mobile as ad blocking doesn’t tend to be as prevalent on mobile platforms. PageFair’s figures show that just 1.6% of the blocked traffic came from mobile devices. The firm believes that this is about to change with iOS 9’s new content blocking abilities. According to the report:

    The release of iOS 9 in the Fall of 2015 may be a game changer, as it will allow users to easily install ad blocking from the App Store.

    Mobile Safari represents 52% of the mobile browsing market (and 14% of total web browsing). With support for ad block apps in iOS 9, we expect ad blocking on mobile Safari to trend towards the levels seen in the mobile version of Firefox [16%].
    Although Apple won’t block ads in iOS 9 by default, the company will be adding new content blockers that will allow users to install extensions that do. In addition to ads, blockers can also prevent tracking scripts from running which is another blow to marketers. We’ll have to see how the industry reacts and where the trends move as the changes occur.

    Source: PageFair (blog) via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's Native Ability to Block Ads in iOS 9 to be a "Game Changer" in the Industry started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 39 Comments
    1. Al226's Avatar
      Al226 -
      This is good!! I wanna block all the damn ads and especially block the content tracking!! If I wanna buy something, I already know what I wanna buy and where to buy it and how much!!
    1. peacedog's Avatar
      peacedog -
      Will they block iAds? LOL
    1. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
      Will they block iAds? LOL
      iAds don't appear in mobile safari
    1. trevorrawson's Avatar
      trevorrawson -
      I'll be honest ModMyi, it's websites like yours that make me happy about this. I've been a supporter of yours since 2007 and still am but the amount of ad's you have on here makes me visit far less than I used to. It impossible to move my mouse around on the screen without something popping up and being annoying.
    1. Dranon's Avatar
      Dranon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Al226 View Post
      This is good!! I wanna block all the damn ads and especially block the content tracking!! If I wanna buy something, I already know what I wanna buy and where to buy it and how much!!
      OK So how do they "lose" money??? I block ads because they are annoying and I do not respond to ads anyway so how would they lose money from me?
    1. Dranon's Avatar
      Dranon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
      OK So how do they "lose" money??? I block ads because they are annoying and I do not respond to ads anyway so how would they lose money from me?
      Use Chrome and install free adblock extension! No more popups or side banner ads!
    1. crawford84's Avatar
      crawford84 -
      Ads are good. Obtrusive and obnoxious ads are not. And I ******* hate web page redirects.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
      I'll be honest ModMyi, it's websites like yours that make me happy about this. I've been a supporter of yours since 2007 and still am but the amount of ad's you have on here makes me visit far less than I used to. It impossible to move my mouse around on the screen without something popping up and being annoying.
      Why don't you use their app? It's not in AppStore anymore but if you have downloaded it once, it should be in your iTunes on your computer and you can sync it to your phone.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
      OK So how do they "lose" money??? I block ads because they are annoying and I do not respond to ads anyway so how would they lose money from me?
      The article didn't say companies were going to lose money from YOU specifically. Obviously they're talking about the public in general. Marketing in the form of ads brings in tons of money for these companies by either clicking on the ads and purchasing things or paying sites to display their ads. If people are just going to block the ads then they lose out.
    1. Checksum47's Avatar
      Checksum47 -
      Maybe it would be a good thing if some of these companies went out of business. We dont need so many companies out there that they must bombard us with ads that EVERYONE HATES to stay in business. I dont think I have EVER clicked on an ad since the day I have started using a computer... And I NEVER will. If I want to buy something I will search for it and buy it. I dont need re-directs, or banners that have items from my latest searches to find what I want.
      Like I said. Maybe it would be a good thing if say-30-40% of these companies went out of business...
    1. Ibkoool's Avatar
      Ibkoool -
      I hate adds just as much as the next guy, but some one has to pay to maintain the websites that we frequent, including Modmyi. If they can't sell adds on their websites, they will have to find some other means of generating revenue to maintain these sites, like soliciting donations from their users, and thats even more annoying than the adds.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ibkoool View Post
      I hate adds just as much as the next guy, but some one has to pay to maintain the websites that we frequent, including Modmyi. If they can't sell adds on their websites, they will have to find some other means of generating revenue to maintain these sites, like soliciting donations from their users, and thats even more annoying than the adds.
      I had paid $2.99 to remove ads from the ModMyi app back in the day. I believe the app doesn't even have ads by default.
    1. NewD's Avatar
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      I had paid $2.99 to remove ads from the ModMyi app back in the day. I believe the app doesn't even have ads by default.
      The Modmyi app is no longer available in the AppStore. Apple pulled it (too much jailbreak talk [emoji23][emoji23]).
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      The Modmyi app is no longer available in the AppStore. Apple pulled it (too much jailbreak talk [emoji23][emoji23]).
      I know but it's still on my computer in my iTunes so I can always sync and whether I log in or not, I don't see any ads.
    1. NewD's Avatar
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      I know but it's still on my computer in my iTunes so I can always sync and whether I log in or not, I don't see any ads.
      It's already got major bugs in iOS8.. Weird lines in the thread lists - double threads - double posts. It likely won't work at all in iOS9. And when you try to launch it in 9 - Apple will likely bring up and error message that says you have to upgrade - like they'd done to other apps in past. Time to make the switch to Tapatalk. Might as well get used to it. Modmyi app will be dead in 9 even if still in iTunes.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      It's already got major bugs in iOS8.. Weird lines in the thread lists - double threads - double posts. It likely won't work at all in iOS9. And when you try to launch it in 9 - Apple will likely bring up and error message that says you have to upgrade - like they'd done to other apps in past. Time to make the switch to Tapatalk. Might as well get used to it. Modmyi app will be dead in 9 even if still in iTunes.
      It still works the same on the latest iOS 9 beta. I don't suspect any such error message, but it might be time to switch anyway due to the bugs.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      It's already got major bugs in iOS8.. Weird lines in the thread lists - double threads - double posts. It likely won't work at all in iOS9. And when you try to launch it in 9 - Apple will likely bring up and error message that says you have to upgrade - like they'd done to other apps in past. Time to make the switch to Tapatalk. Might as well get used to it. Modmyi app will be dead in 9 even if still in iTunes.
      How does tapatalk work? I downloaded it. Do I have to sign up or can I just use MMI's username password?
    1. bbrks's Avatar
      bbrks -
      Use your MMI username and password to login.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      I get "System Message: Account doesn't exist, please try again."
    1. bbrks's Avatar
      bbrks -
      I mean, when you find MMI forum....than you login....