• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AT&T Disagrees With FCC's $100M Fine and Wants it Dropped


    Last month, the FCC announced its plans to fine AT&T $100 million because of the fact that it was throttling unlimited data users to severely unusable rates of speed and unfairly bullying customers to downgrade to tiered data plans, losing out of their grandfathered unlimited data plans.

    AT&T isn't too happy about the debacle. In fact, AT&T will be fighting the fine tooth and nail, and is already suggesting that the FCC has no such grounds to impose such a steep fine for something that AT&T feels doesn't harm customers. AT&T is hiding behind First Amendment rights, and says that it has already fairly warned customers ahead of imposing throttling effects on data usage:

    Quote Originally Posted by AT&T
    The Commissionís findings that consumers and competition were harmed are devoid of factual support and wholly implausible. Its ďmoderateĒ forfeiture penalty of $100 million is plucked out of thin air, and the injunctive sanctions it proposes are beyond the Commissionís authority. Both, moreover, reflect an unseemly effort to coerce settlement. And the NAL and the related press campaign confirm that the agency has already prejudged AT&Tís liability, abandoning any pretext that the Commission remains an impartial arbiter of the case.
    Despite the fact that AT&T is very unhappy with current events, the FCC sees right through AT&T's tactics to bully customers into losing out on value and forcing them to pay more for less. AT&T says there is no evidence that their behavior is harming customers, but when customers see their data slowed down to such a crawl that it takes several minutes to load a Web page, it's pretty obvious that there's a problem and that AT&T is seriously hindering consumer incentives to an Internet connection they're paying to use.

    To put things into perspective, customers paying for unlimited 4G LTE service, who should be seeing a fair 10-40 Mb/s download speed on a regular basis, see a very pitiful ~.30 Mb/s when throttled by AT&T's terms and conditions when using more than 5GB of data per month.

    It's one of those things where you have to step back and think to yourself, "Wow AT&T, how could you be so naive?" and then quickly realize, "Oh, of course. It's all about greed."

    Meanwhile, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, who made $1.6M in 2013 in salary, says he's losing sleep at night thinking about his business losing out on income opportunities thanks to competing services, all while blue collar workers across the country can hardly pay to survive with such astronomically high cellular data costs on a monthly basis.

    AT&T no longer offers unlimited data plans to its new customers signing up; instead, they are forced to choose between tiered data plans, and when they go over their plan amount, they pay extra. The modern cellular system is made to benefit the carrier more than the actual customer paying for the service, giving the carrier an unfair status quo.

    An AT&T customer myself, I'm hoping the FCC doesn't back down and AT&T changes their ways.

    Source: Ars Technica
    This article was originally published in forum thread: AT&T Disagrees With FCC's $100M Fine and Wants it Dropped started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
    1. DieselVexx's Avatar
      DieselVexx -
      To bad the monies will not be passed on to the wronged customers
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      And now their gonna screw up Directv too.

      I can't wait for the fiber optics to hit my neighborhood so I can get Fios.
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by DieselVexx View Post
      To bad the monies will not be passed on to the wronged customers
      You'll get about $5-8 if they were forced to do it. Not quite a windfall.
    1. DieselVexx's Avatar
      DieselVexx -
      Considering how much it should have been you're right
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
      I can't wait for the fiber optics to hit my neighborhood so I can get Fios.
      FiOS is great. I [emoji173]️ bandwidth

      Back on the main subject though, if I had a $100 million fine I'd be upset too! But you should be expecting penalties when implementing unfair business practices.
    1. edwilk55's Avatar
      edwilk55 -
      Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
      You'll get about $5-8 if they were forced to do it. Not quite a windfall.
      Yeah, but if made to pay, they are open to class action litigation. YES!!!
    1. A11AST3R's Avatar
      A11AST3R -
      I work for Att and am a customer and it's bull. It's been like that since unlimited was available and they hide it in the fine print, never mentioning it until you get the text that your being throttled and when you are it's unusable. I hope they get fined for their shady *** practices and that we can file a suite because it's clearly just so that they can make money off it. They are probably mad because this will be the second major fine in 2 years time. And now direct tv, omg what are they going to screw up there!?!?
    1. edwilk55's Avatar
      edwilk55 -
      Quote Originally Posted by A11AST3R View Post
      I work for Att and am a customer and it's bull. It's been like that since unlimited was available and they hide it in the fine print, never mentioning it until you get the text that your being throttled and when you are it's unusable. I hope they get fined for their shady *** practices and that we can file a suite because it's clearly just so that they can make money off it. They are probably mad because this will be the second major fine in 2 years time. And now direct tv, omg what are they going to screw up there!?!?
      Mine was worse than that. One day, I was getting .4 Mbps.... .4 Called 'em up and sure enough, they said I was being throttled and I should switch to a 10 gig / month plan to resolve. I'd been with them for years like everyone else they eff over.

      After raising hell for an hour or so, I switched as I couldn't function at .4 Mbps.

      Well, turns out the local cell was having issues and I most likely would've actually been fine. But who really knows. I'd switched by the time I got home or to another good cell.

      So I was just fed up and switched to Verizon as soon as the 6 came out. Better service areas anyway, so I couldn't be happier. And with Data over LTE, I can talk and have data simultaneously which is the only reason I went with AT&T in the first place.

      So I'm happy and hope they get it stuck to them. Not to mention the pres of AT&T is an absolute ***'hat!
    1. A11AST3R's Avatar
      A11AST3R -
      Yep I totally get it. I was always being throttled, I mean 5 gig really, 3 gig in some markets. That's a week maybe 2 if I let my kids play with my phone. I'd switch but I can't afford to with our current set up and all. I love my iPhone, enjoy what I do as my job as I'm pretty good at it but I don't ever mention who I work for in public as it opens up a shitstorm where ever I am. As far as the tower issue I believe it. It's easy to tell if there is one unless you got an idiot rep. Glad that you can now do both that was one reason I never switched. And yes your last statement is correct.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
      Mine was worse than that. One day, I was getting .4 Mbps.... .4 Called 'em up and sure enough, they said I was being throttled and I should switch to a 10 gig / month plan to resolve. I'd been with them for years like everyone else they eff over.

      After raising hell for an hour or so, I switched as I couldn't function at .4 Mbps.

      Well, turns out the local cell was having issues and I most likely would've actually been fine. But who really knows. I'd switched by the time I got home or to another good cell.

      So I was just fed up and switched to Verizon as soon as the 6 came out. Better service areas anyway, so I couldn't be happier. And with Data over LTE, I can talk and have data simultaneously which is the only reason I went with AT&T in the first place.

      So I'm happy and hope they get it stuck to them. Not to mention the pres of AT&T is an absolute ***'hat!
      T-Mobile is offering unlimited phone and text + 10Gb/mo for $30.... I am glad I got out of AT&T.
      I am using unlimited everything for $50, might consider changing to 10Gb/mo for $30 since i do not even come close to 2Gb a month.
      Sure T-Mobile customer service sucks when I initially switched over, but once the number is ported to correct phone (took about 2 weeks to get everything done correctly) and phone start to work and wifi calling working, never had to deal with that customer service again.
    1. edwilk55's Avatar
      edwilk55 -
      T-mobile / Sprint aren't possibilities for me. I ride a motorcycle on back roads and up in the mountains. AT&T / Verizon are the only ones that will get a signal in the remote parts. Verizon has them beat hands down though for the "most part".
    1. techqazwsx's Avatar
      techqazwsx -
      Quote Originally Posted by A11AST3R View Post
      I work for Att and am a customer and it's bull. It's been like that since unlimited was available and they hide it in the fine print, never mentioning it until you get the text that your being throttled and when you are it's unusable. I hope they get fined for their shady *** practices and that we can file a suite because it's clearly just so that they can make money off it. They are probably mad because this will be the second major fine in 2 years time. And now direct tv, omg what are they going to screw up there!?!?
      Don't you mean, 'worked' at AT&T? I think Verizon is hiring Robert.

      Sincerely,

      Randall...
    1. ggrassmid's Avatar
      ggrassmid -
      I think FCC should make it so its either truly unlimited unthrottled data speeds; which wont happen.
      At tue very least FCC should require ATT to throttle down to no less than 5mbps; at least that would be somewhat usable.
    1. jco's Avatar
      jco -
      F you att! Hope you burn! Haha
    1. psxcancer's Avatar
      psxcancer -
      Ummmm who would agree with a 100 million dollar fine?