• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Has Apple Just Ditched All Plans to Offer an iPhone 6c in 2015?


    Although Apple had planned to release an updated iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone 6c in the Fall of 2015, reports are now speculating that Apple may have delayed or even dropped its plans entirely to offer the budget iPhone 6c handset, forcing customers to choose now between the iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus in the initial product offerings.

    The iPhone 6c would be much like the current iPhone 5c, although it would take on visual qualities of the iPhone 6 despite having the plastic backing instead of the higher-quality aluminum and would have a 4-inch display.

    Apple's reasoning for delaying or cancelling the iPhone 6c is still unclear as Apple still has yet to release any official information or statements, although analysts assume it's so that sales of the iPhone 6 are not cannibalized by the cheaper handset Apple planned to release this year.

    The iPhone 6c would contain similar hardware to the iPhone 6, keeping it a tier below the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus as usual.

    Source: Business Insider via MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Has Apple Just Ditched All Plans to Offer an iPhone 6c in 2015? started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
    1. peacedog's Avatar
      peacedog -
      I always thought it was stupid to offer a "budget" iPhone. It was only $100 less than the flagship model. So $550 (vs $650) is hardly considered "budget".

      The iPhone 5c was essentially an iPhone 5 in a plastic body. At the time 5c was available, I would have picked the 5 over the 5c, because it felt more solid.

      Let the iPhone 6 be the "budget" model when the 6s is released.
    1. bisayakid07's Avatar
      bisayakid07 -
      They won't release 6c because 5c flop in sales
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
      I always thought it was stupid to offer a "budget" iPhone. It was only $100 less than the flagship model. So $550 (vs $650) is hardly considered "budget".

      The iPhone 5c was essentially an iPhone 5 in a plastic body. At the time 5c was available, I would have picked the 5 over the 5c, because it felt more solid.

      Let the iPhone 6 be the "budget" model when the 6s is released.
      The original iPhone 5 was a better phone in general. I work in IT and see a high volume of 5C's with issues. Sound issues, power/battery issues and easily dropped due its slick plastic finish. I found the 5 to be lighter and more durable IMO. With the phone only being $100 less..its not really a deal. I don't buy Apple products because they are cheap. I buy them because I want quality. Affordable Apple phones should be last years version slashed in price..keep it moving :]
    1. flash66's Avatar
      flash66 -
      The 5C was a huge belly flop so why would anyone think this was really going to happen anyway?
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      good, there was and is no need for the C(rap) class iPhone
    1. iBwizzle's Avatar
      iBwizzle -
      I would definitely consider the iPhone 6c if it had 2GB of RAM with the other models. I no longer have the disposable income or desire to buy a phone that's insanely popular amongst senile users.
    1. matthewmspace's Avatar
      matthewmspace -
      That's interesting. Being a student when the 5c was released, I saw a lot of those around campus, mostly because they were $100 cheaper than the 5s. Say what you will about the 5c, but the price was definitely the factor that made people want to buy it.
    1. JollyRogger's Avatar
      JollyRogger -
      The 5C a flop ????
      Look at the numbers before you make suck sweeping statements. It outsold the Iphone 5 when it was released.
      It really appealed to the ladies as they liked the "funky" colors. Women tend to buy on looks rather than specs and the 5c was a looker.

      Jolly
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      all the 5c was was a 5 in a new jacket, everybody was duped. the C models are a waste of money, get the iPhone from the previous year, better build quality and they look better
    1. WHUDS's Avatar
      WHUDS -
      No one has mentioned that the size was supposed to be same as 5s and we thought it would have 6 insides with a 4 inch screen. I thought this would be a popular model
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
      I always thought it was stupid to offer a "budget" iPhone. It was only $100 less than the flagship model. So $550 (vs $650) is hardly considered "budget".

      The iPhone 5c was essentially an iPhone 5 in a plastic body. At the time 5c was available, I would have picked the 5 over the 5c, because it felt more solid.

      Let the iPhone 6 be the "budget" model when the 6s is released.
      You aren't making any sense. Apple stopped selling the 5 when the 5C launched, so "at the time the 5C was available" you couldn't just "pick the 5 over the 5C." Once NOS dried up there were only refurbished units available. The 5 was essentially only available for one year and had less availability time on the market than any other iPhone. Not only was it $100 less, it had slightly better battery specs/life.

      To this day, I recommend the 5C over the 5S because the 5C works much better with 1GB RAM. 5S and newer are 1GB but 64bit resources loaded at the same time as 32bit resources results in substantially less memory availability and far more application reloads/crashes.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      the 5s is a lot better than the c, just the build quality alone is a good enough reason to go for it; you suggest people take an inferior product imo

      apps built for 64 bit architechture work just as fast if not faster than apps built for 32 bit architechture, also seen as everything is moving towards 64 bit the 32 bit will soon be useless

      Edit: this argument is useless though, seen as there are newer iDevices
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      the 5s is a lot better than the c, just the build quality alone is a good enough reason to go for it; you suggest people take an inferior product imo

      apps built for 64 bit architechture work just as fast if not faster than apps built for 32 bit architechture, also seen as everything is moving towards 64 bit the 32 bit will soon be useless

      Edit: this argument is useless though, seen as there are newer iDevices
      It's not about speed, it's about memory. 64bit devices have less available memory because iOS has duplicate 32 and 64 bit resources loaded into the same 1GB of memory that the 32bit devices have. It's why the 5S is notably less stable than the 5 (there was an article about it here shortly after launch). The available memory issue has only gotten worse with higher resolution iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Running out of memory causes DAILY frustrations and I have to jailbreak to deal with them. Limited memory is why your tabs reload when you switch. Limited memory is why Safari crashes and reloads the page and loses everything you typed. Limited memory is why Tapatalk takes you back to the main screen after you clicked a link to a YouTube video or website and came right back. Limited memory is why the Facebook app refreshes the feed while you are in the middle of reading posts and the one you were looking at is now gone.

      ...and this argument is NOT useless. My friend just bought two iPhone 5 refurbs when I suggested a 5 or 5C for him and his wife. I guess he didn't care that the 5C has better battery life. The person I was replying too said that he would have suggested a 5 over a 5C when they were both available new and I pointed out that they essentially weren't both available at the same time (5C replaced he 5). It's a valid point to his invalid argument. Now it comes down to "new 5C with warranty or refurb 5?"

      For the record, I have an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB and an 64GB iPad mini Retina (both 64bit 1GB RAM devices)
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      You mentioned that you jailbreak to eliminate running out of memory. Can you share what you are doing to combat this?
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
      It's not about speed, it's about memory. 64bit devices have less available memory because iOS has duplicate 32 and 64 bit resources loaded into the same 1GB of memory that the 32bit devices have. It's why the 5S is notably less stable than the 5 (there was an article about it here shortly after launch). The available memory issue has only gotten worse with higher resolution iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Running out of memory causes DAILY frustrations and I have to jailbreak to deal with them. Limited memory is why your tabs reload when you switch. Limited memory is why Safari crashes and reloads the page and loses everything you typed. Limited memory is why Tapatalk takes you back to the main screen after you clicked a link to a YouTube video or website and came right back. Limited memory is why the Facebook app refreshes the feed while you are in the middle of reading posts and the one you were looking at is now gone.

      ...and this argument is NOT useless. My friend just bought two iPhone 5 refurbs when I suggested a 5 or 5C for him and his wife. I guess he didn't care that the 5C has better battery life. The person I was replying too said that he would have suggested a 5 over a 5C when they were both available new and I pointed out that they essentially weren't both available at the same time (5C replaced he 5). It's a valid point to his invalid argument. Now it comes down to "new 5C with warranty or refurb 5?"

      For the record, I have an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB and an 64GB iPad mini Retina (both 64bit 1GB RAM devices)
      I've had no issues with my 5s and I believe you are telling people to get an inferior product by suggesting the 5c which is just the previous years hardware in a new case with very small improvements.
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      I've had no issues with my 5s and I believe you are telling people to get an inferior product by suggesting the 5c which is just the previous years hardware in a new case with very small improvements.
      Fantasy. You simply don't recognize the "issues" and are blind to them, dismissing even the frustrations that you do notice as "just the way things work" instead of as being caused by limitations. When a tab reloads and loses your work, you blame yourself for not finishing. When Facebook reloads your feed while you are trying to tap an item and it's missing after it all reloads, you probably blame Facebook. When an app crashes due to being outbid memory you just assume that it would've done the same thing on a 5C or 5. You are wrong.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      have you ever owned a 5s?
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      Yes. The reporting on this very site talked about how much less stable the iPhone 5S was compared to the iPhone 5:
      http://modmyi.com/content/12466-apps...hone-5-5c.html
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
      You mentioned that you jailbreak to eliminate running out of memory. Can you share what you are doing to combat this?
      I am using backgrounding apps to over-ride the processes that aggressively try to suspend and apps and reclaim memory. There are many, but I'm using the free one that lets you background two apps by tapping their icons in the task switcher (makes a blue dot next to it). This is like running two apps side-by-side on an iPad. iOS will not unload either of them unless it can't make enough memory elsewhere (crash).
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
      Yes. The reporting on this very site talked about how much less stable the iPhone 5S was compared to the iPhone 5:
      http://modmyi.com/content/12466-apps...hone-5-5c.html
      that info is well out of date bro all apps that were getting updated have been updated and iOS 7.1.3 also removed a lot of that too, so I still claim your telling people to get an inferior iDevice!!!!!

      Edit: and here we are now on iOS 8 with iOS 9 about to ship