• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • How Much Does it Cost Apple to Make a Sport Band for the Apple Watch?


    The Apple Watch comes with a variety of band choices, but one of the most popular is the Sport band, which is the cheapest of them all and is made from comfortable high-performance fluoroelastomer that includes a pin and tuck design rather than a clasp or magnet to close.

    You don't have to buy an Apple Watch Sport to get the Sport band; Apple also includes the Sport band option with the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition with custom pins to match the enclosure of the Apple Watch.

    In a recent report from IHS (via Reuters), the base-model Sport band for the 38mm Apple Watch Sport which costs $49 for users to buy separately, allegedly only costs Apple about $2.05 to make. Talk about some serious markup!

    Obviously, when Apple customizes these bands with a gold or stainless steel pin to match the enclosure of the Apple Watch itself, this price rises. The cost to jump to 42mm will also affect the price. This IHS estimate does not include the shipping and packaging expenses Apple has to eat to get the bands out into its consumers' hands.

    Source: Reuters
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How Much Does it Cost Apple to Make a Sport Band for the Apple Watch? started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
    1. rickuk's Avatar
      rickuk -
      Going to have to by a Chinese version, just as good without the ripoff markup

      Could even afford 2 incase I lose one
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      Gotta love these stories about cost to make something and they only include input materials costs and nothing else.

      And why do they only price Apple products? Do you realize how many items are marked up this much above their input costs? There's a reason jewelry stores, for example, can run 75% off sales and still make plenty of money.

      I'm sure the market will be flooded with aftermarket bands, both good and bad, soon, so if people don't want to spend $49 they won't have to.
    1. plcrules's Avatar
      plcrules -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      Gotta love these stories about cost to make something and they only include input materials costs and nothing else.

      And why do they only price Apple products? Do you realize how many items are marked up this much above their input costs? There's a reason jewelry stores, for example, can run 75% off sales and still make plenty of money.

      I'm sure the market will be flooded with aftermarket bands, both good and bad, soon, so if people don't want to spend $49 they won't have to.
      it would be nice if you had any reading comprehension skills. the article clearly says to make not for raw materials and this is a website about apple not jewelry. there have been multiple articles of various apple products cost to manufacture.
    1. sheltons.iphone's Avatar
      sheltons.iphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
      it would be nice if you had any reading comprehension skills. the article clearly says to make not for raw materials and this is a website about apple not jewelry. there have been multiple articles of various apple products cost to manufacture.
      Thank goodness for reading comprehension, if I didn't have any then I wouldn't have been able to understand your post. Work on your grammar and punctuation if you're going to bash someone about reading comprehension.


      "The article clearly says to make, not for raw materials. This is a website about Apple, not jewelry."


      Also, doesn't Apple make a really expensive gold watch? Isn't that "jewelry?"
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
      Also, doesn't Apple make a really expensive gold watch? Isn't that "jewelry?"
      If you asked me, I would say it wasn't jewelery. Just wearable tech made out of a precious metal.

      And if you asked Jonathan Ive that same question, you would get a big fat "I don't know," because he doesn't really think it's considered jewelery either, but won't directly say that it can't compete with mechanical watches because saying so would harm Apple's intention and reputation.

      Depends who you ask. Some people will say anything you wear made out of gold that costs a lot is jewelery, but not me.
    1. plcrules's Avatar
      plcrules -
      does apple have any patent on the special rubber material?
    1. plcrules's Avatar
      plcrules -
      Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
      Thank goodness for reading comprehension, if I didn't have any then I wouldn't have been able to understand your post. Work on your grammar and punctuation if you're going to bash someone about reading comprehension.


      "The article clearly says to make, not for raw materials. This is a website about Apple, not jewelry."


      Also, doesn't Apple make a really expensive gold watch? Isn't that "jewelry?"
      Complains about the content of an article you didn't read
      Complains about the grammar in a comment but doesn't respond to the point
      you must be a joy at parties