• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Next-Gen iPhones to Utilize 12MP Sony Sensor and RGBW Technology


    A new report that coming out of China claims that the iPhone 6S will be getting a large camera upgrade. The upcoming iteration of the iPhone will be boasting a 12 megapixel camera with a special Sony sensor that improves the performance of shooting in low-light conditions.

    For those of you who have been following the rumors closely, you might remember that we recently heard from the research director of IHS Technology in China, Kevin Wang, who mentioned that the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus would both be getting a higher number of megapixels compared to the current 8 megapixel cameras used in the present iPhones.

    The same report ended up discussing that this was going to be achieved by reducing the pixel size in the new cameras, which would result in an increased amount of noise and poor low-light shooting. The recent news on the other hand suggests that Apple will use what is referred to as RGBW coding technology from Sony, which adds a white sub-pixel alongside the standard RGB ones to help improve image quality to offset the smaller pixel size which was mentioned in the last report.

    The recent report claims that Apple actually planned on utilizing this technology for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but ended up waiting an extra year just to make sure that the technology worked as intended and met the company’s quality standards. At the end of the day, there appears to be several rumors floating regarding the next-gen iPhones but the only way we’ll find out what’s true and what’s not is by waiting for concrete information to be released.

    Source: Feng via GforGames
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Next-Gen iPhones to Utilize 12MP Sony Sensor and RGBW Technology started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Could have consolidated both of these news feeds into one post no?
    1. blueaviator's Avatar
      blueaviator -
      Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
      [Apple actually planned on utilizing this technology for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but ended up waiting an extra year just to make sure that the technology worked as intended and met the company’s quality standards.
      I think it should read:

      "Apple actually planned on utilizing this technology for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but ended up waiting an extra year just to make sure that they have something to upgrade so they can sell more millions and call it the best iPhone ever..."

      PS: yes, I have an iPhone.
    1. rolandgabor's Avatar
      rolandgabor -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      Could have consolidated both of these news feeds into one post no?
      It's true. Just noticed. Maybe Apple was planning on "sporting" and than "utilizing" the technology. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
    1. tallnatt's Avatar
      tallnatt -
      So the 8MP to 12MP jump won't be noticeable by any of the users except when blown up to the size of a table but we are going to do it anyway because Samsung says we have to. Also the image quality is likely to be worse because we have to cram more pixels into the same space. Maybe keep the 8MP and improve the quality by using the new sensor technology and maybe add optical zoom.
    1. Magnum's Avatar
      Magnum -
      Quote Originally Posted by tallnatt View Post
      So the 8MP to 12MP jump won't be noticeable by any of the users except when blown up to the size of a table but we are going to do it anyway because Samsung says we have to. Also the image quality is likely to be worse because we have to cram more pixels into the same space. Maybe keep the 8MP and improve the quality by using the new sensor technology and maybe add optical zoom.
      Exactly
    1. DoctorPaco's Avatar
      DoctorPaco -
      Quote Originally Posted by tallnatt View Post
      So the 8MP to 12MP jump won't be noticeable by any of the users except when blown up to the size of a table but we are going to do it anyway because Samsung says we have to. Also the image quality is likely to be worse because we have to cram more pixels into the same space. Maybe keep the 8MP and improve the quality by using the new sensor technology and maybe add optical zoom.
      …but 4K video…
    1. ChicagoV's Avatar
      ChicagoV -
      Lots of moaning already... smh

      When has Apple NOT improved the camera from one year to the next? A jump to 12MP is not the end of the world, especially given Apple's track record of camera/software optimization. It'll benefit landscapes, panoramas, etc. Hopefully, we get a nice upgrade to the FFC on the iPhone AND iPad.