• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Majority of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Users Have Yet to Try Apple Pay


    According to InfoScout, a market research firm, roughly 6% of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners have used Apple Pay to make touchless transactions while 85% have yet to try the service. The firm announced its findings at the PYMNTS.com Mobile Innovation Project 2015 conference recently with adoption of Apple’s NFC-based mobile payment solution moving “very slowly.”

    Aside from this 6% who used or continue to use Apple’s iPhone-based NFC payment solution, 85% of iPhone 6 owners haven’t even played with the service. Roughly another 9% said they tried Apple Pay but forgot how to use it when making a purchase or didn’t know where it was accepted. The statistics were all based on a survey which spanned three-days last week and involved 1,188 participants. It wasn’t made clear whether the data includes adoption statistics for Apple’s Pay in-app payment functionality but the report did suggest only information regarding in-store transactions counted.

    The report wasn’t very clear in discussing why consumers haven’t used Apple Pay. Instead of differentiating between the customers who were satisfied with their current payment method and those who didn’t understand how Apple Pay works, the two classes were just grouped together. The one thing that is clear though is that hardware limitations are stunting Apple Pay’s growth at the moment. PYMNTS CEO, Karen Webster, had the following to say regarding the matter:

    Not only do you have to have consumers with Apple Pay, you have to have consumers with iPhone 6. So, you have to have a consumer with the right hardware and the merchant with the right hardware in order for it to work.
    Apple is looking to help address this concern partly with the Apple Watch. The device’s debut in April will help not only serve as a client-side Apple Pay terminal for the current-generation iPhone 6 lineup but also serve as the go-between for the Apple devices that don’t have an NFC chip such as the iPhone 5, 5S and 5C. More important than hardware availability in this scenario is customer loyalty. The study found that 30% of respondents who already use Apple Pay base their shopping choices on whether a store supports Apple’s service. If the number of consumers actively seek out Apple Pay-compatible locations grow, more retailers are likely to hop the bandwagon. Along with the survey, participants shrugged off recent media reports of security concerns regarding Apple Pay, deeming it easy to use and safe.

    The Cupertino California company is slowly adding merchants that support Apple pay, more recently announcing 14 new partners including Jamba Juice and Office Max. Such a move makes adopting Apple Pay as a method of payment more enticing to consumers. Additionally, the number of financial institutions participating in Apple Pay is also steadily increasing. Apple recently added another 39 banks and credit unions bringing the total to 150 partners across the US with another 700 awaiting authorization.

    What about you? Do you actively use Apple Pay? If not, where do you fall on the spectrum?

    Source: InfoScout via VentureBeat
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Majority of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Users Have Yet to Try Apple Pay started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 70 Comments
    1. Magnum's Avatar
      Magnum -
      M̶a̶k̶e̶ i̶t̶ s̶o̶ t̶h̶a̶t̶ I̶ d̶o̶n̶'t̶ H̶A̶V̶E̶ t̶o̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ a̶ d̶a̶n̶g̶ p̶a̶s̶s̶ c̶o̶d̶e̶ l̶o̶c̶k̶ o̶n̶ m̶y̶ p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶ a̶n̶d̶ i̶l̶l̶ u̶s̶e̶ i̶t̶. I̶ f̶u̶d̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ h̶a̶t̶e̶ p̶a̶s̶s̶ c̶o̶d̶e̶ l̶o̶c̶k̶s̶. Y̶o̶u̶ a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ n̶e̶e̶d̶ m̶y̶ f̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ p̶r̶i̶n̶t̶ t̶o̶ u̶s̶e̶ a̶p̶p̶l̶e̶ p̶a̶y̶, s̶o̶ w̶h̶y̶ d̶o̶ I̶ N̶E̶E̶D̶ a̶ p̶a̶s̶s̶ c̶o̶d̶e̶ l̶o̶c̶k̶ a̶s̶ w̶e̶l̶l̶? D̶u̶m̶b̶
    1. docmagoo2's Avatar
      docmagoo2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
      M̶a̶k̶e̶ i̶t̶ s̶o̶ t̶h̶a̶t̶ I̶ d̶o̶n̶'t̶ H̶A̶V̶E̶ t̶o̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ a̶ d̶a̶n̶g̶ p̶a̶s̶s̶ c̶o̶d̶e̶ l̶o̶c̶k̶ o̶n̶ m̶y̶ p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶ a̶n̶d̶ i̶l̶l̶ u̶s̶e̶ i̶t̶. I̶ f̶u̶d̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ h̶a̶t̶e̶ p̶a̶s̶s̶ c̶o̶d̶e̶ l̶o̶c̶k̶s̶. Y̶o̶u̶ a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ n̶e̶e̶d̶ m̶y̶ f̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ p̶r̶i̶n̶t̶ t̶o̶ u̶s̶e̶ a̶p̶p̶l̶e̶ p̶a̶y̶, s̶o̶ w̶h̶y̶ d̶o̶ I̶ N̶E̶E̶D̶ a̶ p̶a̶s̶s̶ c̶o̶d̶e̶ l̶o̶c̶k̶ a̶s̶ w̶e̶l̶l̶? D̶u̶m̶b̶
      Why on gods green earth did you use that typeface? It's so hard to read.

      I'm more concerned about touching your phone to an area where others touch their phone. One of the most common contaminants on a phone is faecal material and I don't fancy getting other people's poop on my handset. I periodically use alcohol wipes on my phone to clean it (I'm a medical Dr) as I can't have my phone as a source of infection, for patients or myself!
    1. claustin's Avatar
      claustin -
      1) my bank doesn't support apple pay yet, so...
      2) I haven't learned the process of using it
      3) I wouldn't know where it's accepted even if I could

      That being said, all these incessant ad pop ups and banners on your site have led me to remove it from my apple news favorites. I know you need to keep the lights on but it's gotten beyond egregious. Farewell, modmyi.
    1. bbrks's Avatar
      bbrks -
      Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
      1) my bank doesn't support apple pay yet, so...
      2) I haven't learned the process of using it
      3) I wouldn't know where it's accepted even if I could

      That being said, all these incessant ad pop ups and banners on your site have led me to remove it from my apple news favorites. I know you need to keep the lights on but it's gotten beyond egregious. Farewell, modmyi.
      May I ask, why don't you use adblocker for your browser?
    1. claustin's Avatar
      claustin -
      Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
      May I ask, why don't you use adblocker for your browser?
      Yes you may. Because I'm on my iPad. But even on my Mac it's the principal of the thing. They can have sidebar ads without a bunch of irritating, irrelevant keyword pop ups in the middle of the articles. The same goes for sites with auto play video ads that ruin your vibe if you're reading the site while listening to some music. I refuse to frequent sites that engage in such intrusive, annoying advertising shenanigans. It's a shame too because I've been visiting modmyi almost daily for several years now. No more. I've reached my limit of nonsense. This site has become the equivalent of Win98 Internet Explorer infested with adware. I'll check back occasionally to see if they've come to their senses but until that time modmyi is essentially dead to me.

      Jesus there's even pop ups on the compose comment page for crying out loud.
    1. bbrks's Avatar
      bbrks -
      I am very sorry to hear that, ad blocker works perfectly, but I understand also, if you don't want to use it.
    1. MAUDJACK's Avatar
      MAUDJACK -
      I used Pay whenever I could when I was back home in Florida and really liked using it. Now that I'm in China, I can't wait for it to come over here as well as Hong Kong.

      It's crazy how if I get my iPhone very close to the card reader for the metro, it initiates Pay from my Passbook. I just close it and continue with my metro card. I think Apple is trying to work something out with UnionPay which would be good for me to use with Pay.
    1. patoons's Avatar
      patoons -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      Why on gods green earth did you use that typeface? It's so hard to read.

      I'm more concerned about touching your phone to an area where others touch their phone. One of the most common contaminants on a phone is faecal material and I don't fancy getting other people's poop on my handset. I periodically use alcohol wipes on my phone to clean it (I'm a medical Dr) as I can't have my phone as a source of infection, for patients or myself!
      you've never used someone else's phone? ever?

      and please don't clean your phone with alcohol, at least the screen. the back fine. I used to regularly clean with alcohol and wound up damaging g my digitizer. thankfully I was still under warranty.
    1. patoons's Avatar
      patoons -
      Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
      Yes you may. Because I'm on my iPad. But even on my Mac it's the principal of the thing. They can have sidebar ads without a bunch of irritating, irrelevant keyword pop ups in the middle of the articles. The same goes for sites with auto play video ads that ruin your vibe if you're reading the site while listening to some music. I refuse to frequent sites that engage in such intrusive, annoying advertising shenanigans. It's a shame too because I've been visiting modmyi almost daily for several years now. No more. I've reached my limit of nonsense. This site has become the equivalent of Win98 Internet Explorer infested with adware. I'll check back occasionally to see if they've come to their senses but until that time modmyi is essentially dead to me.

      Jesus there's even pop ups on the compose comment page for crying out loud.
      may I ask, if you're jailbroken why not get one of the many ad blocks available in cydia? or better yet, there's a modmyi app
    1. KingRichard's Avatar
      KingRichard -
      Since Apple Pay only usable in the states and those 6% probably 80% of the current iPhone user in the state then why question this? I wish they already begin to implemented outside the US, then we will see the percentage increase exponentially.
    1. peacedog's Avatar
      peacedog -
      My main credit card (Discover) doesn't support it, so I don't use it very often. Also the places I shop most often either doesn't have the NFC readers or are actively blocking ApplePay (Target, Walmart, CVS).

      I've used it a few times at Meijer and Home Depot. It's convenient, but until there is a wide adoption, I will stick with credit cards.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      ^^ +1 Same boat different voyage.
    1. novadam's Avatar
      novadam -
      (1) you don't need to use a passcode. you put your thumb on the fingerprint reader (while its asleep) and hold it near the payment pad. after a second it will wake up, read your print, and pay

      (2) you don't need to touch your phone to anything. just hold it an inch or two away from the sensor and that's close enough.

      I use it every morning to get my large coffee at McDonald's before work.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
      1) my bank doesn't support apple pay yet, so...
      2) I haven't learned the process of using it
      3) I wouldn't know where it's accepted even if I could

      That being said, all these incessant ad pop ups and banners on your site have led me to remove it from my apple news favorites. I know you need to keep the lights on but it's gotten beyond egregious. Farewell, modmyi.
      2) There's nothing to learn. You bring your phone near the credit card terminal and touch the home button. Done. You dont need to unlock your phone or bring up the display or anything. It literally takes less than 2 seconds to complete the entire process.

      3) It's accepted everywhere you see a wifi icon on a credit card terminal.

      Use ModMyi app on iPhone and iPad. No ads whatsoever.
    1. Dave_Xiavia's Avatar
      Dave_Xiavia -
      I use it all the time(getting gas, vending machine, Panera Bread app, Walgreens, etc). At first I was a bit skeptical about it, but now I'm all for it.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      I'm more concerned about touching your phone to an area where others touch their phone. One of the most common contaminants on a phone is faecal material and I don't fancy getting other people's poop on my handset. I periodically use alcohol wipes on my phone to clean it (I'm a medical Dr) as I can't have my phone as a source of infection, for patients or myself!
      You don't have to touch anything other than your home button on your phone.
    1. Jozelito617's Avatar
      Jozelito617 -
      Yea my atm debit is better.. You dam lazy
    1. Magnum's Avatar
      Magnum -
      Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
      (1) you don't need to use a passcode. you put your thumb on the fingerprint reader (while its asleep) and hold it near the payment pad. after a second it will wake up, read your print, and pay

      (2) you don't need to touch your phone to anything. just hold it an inch or two away from the sensor and that's close enough.

      I use it every morning to get my large coffee at McDonald's before work.
      but the passcode lock has to stay on 24/7 in order to use it. I've used t before I know how it works. I just hate that your passcode lock must stay on 24/7. I've tried turning on Apple pay and then turning off passcode lock but then it automatically turns off Apple pay along with it. Sooooo stupid
    1. SpiderManAPV's Avatar
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
      but the passcode lock has to stay on 24/7 in order to use it. I've used t before I know how it works. I just hate that your passcode lock must stay on 24/7. I've tried turning on Apple pay and then turning off passcode lock but then it automatically turns off Apple pay along with it. Sooooo stupid
      What's the problem with the passcode? Honestly my phone unlocks faster with Touch ID then without a passcode.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
      1) my bank doesn't support apple pay yet, so...
      2) I haven't learned the process of using it
      3) I wouldn't know where it's accepted even if I could

      That being said, all these incessant ad pop ups and banners on your site have led me to remove it from my apple news favorites. I know you need to keep the lights on but it's gotten beyond egregious. Farewell, modmyi.
      You don't touch anything. You hover next to it. It'd be nice if I didn't have to type in my pin because that would truly be fast. Otherwise if I'm not pulling out my wallet I'm pulling out my phone. I did have an instance where my Bank of America card was worn down and barely scanned. I forgot and pulled out my phone at Walgreens and worked like a charm every time.