• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Google's Nexus 6 Abandoned the Fingerprint Sensor, Couldn't Match Apple's Efforts


    According to a report by Ars Technica, the Motorola-built, Google-branded Nexus 6 attempted to include a fingerprint sensor much like Apple’s Touch ID which debuted on the iPhone 5S but ended up abandoning the feature before the phone’s introduction. Google’s Android team made references to Synaptics, the touchscreen maker that acquired fingerprint sensor maker Validity Sensors shortly before the iPhone 5S’ release. It was being claimed that Synaptic’s Validity sensors required users to swipe their fingers over the sensor at a fixed rate with Ed Baig of USA writing the following regarding the sensor:

    [The] fingerprint scanner doesn't work as well as the similar feature Apple has on the iPhone 5s.
    Both Google and Motorola appear to be using the same sensor vendor and the same style of sensor with code committing reference methods named "FINGERPRINT_ACQUIRED_TOO_SLOW.” Ars added that that "the hardware on the Nexus 6 was going to be a launch point for a whole fingerprint API in Android.” Coupled with Android 5.0 Lollipop code comments reference "a service to manage multiple clients that want to access the fingerprint HAL API," the situation implied that architecture for enabling multiple apps to work with any sensor might appear on an Android device.

    That being said, the work might end up surfacing anywhere between half a year to a year later, similar to how the new Camera API which was expected to be released in Android 4.4 KitKat ended up showing up in Android 5.0 instead.

    The move as a whole shows how valuable Apple’s 2012 acquisition of AuthenTec was considering that Google and Motorola were unable to successfully incorporate a fingerprint sensor and Apple has had it for 2 consecutive product releases already.

    Source: Ars Technica via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google's Nexus 6 Abandoned the Fingerprint Sensor, Couldn't Match Apple's Efforts started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Waiting for the Android Trolls to stop by and tell us all the bells and whistles that their devices had before ours like we care hahaha!
    1. se23's Avatar
      se23 -
      That's quite a fail from such big companies. While I'm no Apple fan this just proves to me that Apple will only release when they've perfected it. Salute
    1. eprisencc's Avatar
      eprisencc -
      This goes to show how much better at hardware Apple is than Google. Google's specialty is software.

      Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    1. GenesisDH's Avatar
      GenesisDH -
      Quote Originally Posted by eprisencc View Post
      Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
      Wha????????

      Just kidding; I see what you did there. 😋
    1. qumahlin's Avatar
      qumahlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      Waiting for the Android Trolls to stop by and tell us all the bells and whistles that their devices had before ours like we care hahaha!
      Not an Android troll, and very much love my iphone, but if we are simply talking first to market, there have been fingerprint scanners on android phones long before iphones, it just so happens the phones that had them weren't very successful. Apple usually never does stuff first, they just almost always do it better/cleaner.
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by eprisencc View Post
      This goes to show how much better at hardware Apple is than Google. Google's specialty is software.

      Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

      I've seen several people use Tapatalk on different forums. What's the benefit of using it versus, say just using the browser on your mobile device? Back in the early days I can see how using this would be needed, but most/all browsers now have almost full capabilities of a desktop browser.
    1. bry2k2's Avatar
      bry2k2 -
      still a gimmick feature no matter what platform, iv seen people have to swipe several times to get it working properly.
    1. rashad1's Avatar
      rashad1 -
      The first smartphone with a finger print scanner was the Motorola Atrix from what I can remember.
    1. rashad1's Avatar
      rashad1 -
      The first smartphone with a finger print scanner was the Motorola Atrix from what I can remember.
    1. eprisencc's Avatar
      eprisencc -
      The first smart phone with an easy to use working finger print scanner was the Apple iPhone 5s.
    1. aceestes's Avatar
      aceestes -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      still a gimmick feature no matter what platform, iv seen people have to swipe several times to get it working properly.
      I'm wondering if you mean to say the android iteration of a finger print reader is a gimmick feature or fingerprint readers in general. TouchID definitely brung it out of its gimmick phase. I've typed in the wrong passcode more times than Touch ID has failed. It's a lot quicker than even the simplest passcode. And actually it's quicker on the draw than not having a passcode at all. Not to mention it was way too easy for my girl to figure out my passcode just by glancing at the right moment lol. TouchID saved my relationship.
    1. eprisencc's Avatar
      eprisencc -
      Quote Originally Posted by aceestes View Post
      I'm wondering if you mean to say the android iteration of a finger print reader is a gimmick feature or fingerprint readers in general. TouchID definitely brung it out of its gimmick phase. I've typed in the wrong passcode more times than Touch ID has failed. It's a lot quicker than even the simplest passcode. And actually it's quicker on the draw than not having a passcode at all. Not to mention it was way too easy for my girl to figure out my passcode just by glancing at the right moment lol. TouchID saved my relationship.
      I agree. Android's attempt at a fingerprint sensor has been abysmal. iOS did it right and made it main stream.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk