• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's iPhone 6 Plus May Not Have Upgraded 2GB of RAM Like Expected


    It has come to many people’s attention that Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus may have more RAM due to the nature of the larger device. The device’s memory status has also been unclear, therefore leading people to think that it will have 2GB of RAM instead of one. However, leaks were circulating the web before claiming that the device will stick to the 1GB of RAM like the iPhone 5s, and recent reports are claiming that the 5.5-inch device will not be getting the higher RAM space.

    Pictures have been leaked recently from a Korean message board, reported by Phone Arena, showing the iPhone 6 Plus’ memory almost capping out at 1GB. The picture basically also shows the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus having almost the same internal details with the same amount of memory and A8 chip. One thing Apple has worked on is the battery life of the upcoming device. It has been reported that the Cupertino-based company’s new iPhones may even sport a longer lasting battery than the Samsung Galaxy S5. The S5 stated that the battery life can go up to 10 hours of Internet browsing, and Apple’s statistics beat out those numbers.

    According to keynotes, the iPhone 6 Plus is supposed to give 12 hours of Internet browsing and up to 14 hours of movie watching in HD. The device has also been rumored to have a 2,915 mAh battery. We’ll just have to find out the logistics when the device is set up in stores on September 19th!

    Source: Phone Arena
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's iPhone 6 Plus May Not Have Upgraded 2GB of RAM Like Expected started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      A little surprising, but iOS is pretty good at managing memory, and as the processor gets more powerful and efficient there's less need to load lots into RAM.

      The only downside to this I can think of is system crashes when programs aren't coded properly, but that's hardly Apple's fault.

      Strategically Apple probably did this to discourage console ports to iOS that are expensive for customers, take a lot of server bandwidth to download, and don't create a whole lot of revenue for Apple. One gig of RAM is simply a way for Apple to regulate App Store apps in order to keep the iOS platform a 'mobile experience.'
    1. Ajzride's Avatar
      Ajzride -
      In my opinion that totally sucks. My second biggest compliant about iOS is my multiple safari tabs reloading every time I swap between them, even when I have closed every other app.
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Personally I have never noticed my iPhone 5 running slow. However, my Dad uses MyStuff, a database program with potentially millions of entries, and he was really hoping for more RAM. We will see how it works.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
      In my opinion that totally sucks. My second biggest compliant about iOS is my multiple safari tabs reloading every time I swap between them, even when I have closed every other app.
      That bothers me too, but I understand why they do it. My friend isn't computer savvy - when I open his safari app sometimes there are like 20 tabs open. If Safari didn't manage it's RAM then my neighbor's iPad would crash constantly and they wouldn't know why.

      Does Chrome app support persistent web tabs?
    1. nakedcrook's Avatar
      nakedcrook -
      Not surprising. After all, we ARE dealing with a company that is pushing out hardware and software features from 2011 and 2012.
    1. novadam's Avatar
      novadam -
      Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
      Not surprising. After all, we ARE dealing with a company that is pushing out hardware and software features from 2011 and 2012.
      so don't buy one. see how easy that was? no problem for you and you can be happy.

      i mean, you do realize that you invest an inordinate amount of time criticizing a product that you don't own, right? it's not like you're having any problems with it, or it's losing your data -- you don't own one. think about that for a minute -- it's really and kind of sadly weird.

      so what is the point? to convince people to buy a different phone? why? do you get compensated for that? I doubt it -- sales couldn't be tracked.

      is it because you care deeply about everyone and want them to have the best stuff possible? based on the tone of your posts, I doubt it.

      is it some kind of personal animus toward apple? did you catch steve jobs banging your mom? I doubt that too.

      so what is your point? as in, what is the point of your presence? because it's just weird.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      I have tested phones running 3GB of RAM and let me tell you what..they are blazing fast! I hope the new iPhones will wow me like the ones i've tested previously. I also hope my new iPhone 6 comes on the 19th :]
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      I have tested phones running 3GB of RAM and let me tell you what..they are blazing fast! I hope the new iPhones will wow me like the ones i've tested previously. I also hope my new iPhone 6 comes on the 19th :]
      Well, androids aren't very efficient so they need a lot of RAM. I too, hope mine comes in on the 19th. Sooooo excited.

      Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
      Not surprising. After all, we ARE dealing with a company that is pushing out hardware and software features from 2011 and 2012.
      Ooooo burn. I feel it. Why is a Fandroid posting on an Apple site? That seems like an incredible waste of time. I thought Apple people were zealots, but I am willing to bet that NO ONE from this site goes on ModMyFandroid or whatever sites you have and trolls how much Androids suck. Because there's no point! If your device is so superior, why do you have to prove it? Just saying.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Once again, that's clearly a 4-inch display in the screenshot.
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      Android is just like windows. A badly developed software that requires powerful hardware to run it.

      Last year the iPhone 5s went head to head with other phones that had better specs, guess who came out on top? iPhone!

      Because the software and hardware are made by the same company, everything is optimize to work hand-in-hand. The same can't be said for android.

      To be honest though, I didn't expect the iPhone plus to have any more RAM. iOS8 is almost identical on both phones, and in my opinion Apple didn't take advantage of the larger screen.

      I did order the plus version though, better battery life was a factor!
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
      Not surprising. After all, we ARE dealing with a company that is pushing out hardware and software features from 2011 and 2012.
      And Twittle Dumb makes a uninvited presence once again trying to spread fandroid cheer amongst a Apple crowd. LOSER!!!! LMAO
    1. dennder's Avatar
      dennder -
      Well, i don't get it. Cost of an increased RAM capacity is negligible, as is it's power consumption... Some apps might actually use that increased amount, like the aforementioned database management, or non-reloading safari tabs.
      Moreover, some heavy games could certainly benefit from more available ram...
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      Remember??? This is just a rumor guys!! Not factual yet
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      There's really no reason to even rule out the smaller iPhone 6 having 2 gigs. Apple has never announced or even listed an iPhone's RAM.
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      There's really no reason to even rule out the smaller iPhone 6 having 2 gigs. Apple has never announced or even listed an iPhone's RAM.
      +1 it's always 3rd party testing that releases internal tech info like memory.
    1. nakedcrook's Avatar
      nakedcrook -
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
      Well, androids aren't very efficient so they need a lot of RAM. I too, hope mine comes in on the 19th. Sooooo excited.
      Wrong. Unlike iOS, Android capitalizes on the fact that there is typically 2+ GB of Ram, and it goes so far as to cache daemons, services, widgets, and apps into RAM. However, with root, this functionality can all but be disabled. Both approaches have their advantages. I personally prefer the latter (despite it being slightly less battery friendly) but it can be very nice for standby mode. The point is...iOS locks Apple customers into a single way of doing things, and locks them into limited hardware. There is no denying that the cost of having 2 GB of RAM would be negligible, and it would actually serve to improve end user experiences, such as with Safari tabs.

      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Android is just like windows. A badly developed software that requires powerful hardware to run it.

      Last year the iPhone 5s went head to head with other phones that had better specs, guess who came out on top? iPhone!

      Because the software and hardware are made by the same company, everything is optimize to work hand-in-hand. The same can't be said for android.

      To be honest though, I didn't expect the iPhone plus to have any more RAM. iOS8 is almost identical on both phones, and in my opinion Apple didn't take advantage of the larger screen.

      I did order the plus version though, better battery life was a factor!
      No wonder you use Apple products...you know NOTHING about PCs or hardware. So, my boy, sit down and let a smarter and wiser Android user SCHOOL you.

      First off, Windows 7 is much more lightweight than OSX. How do I know? Well, it is quite simple. Have you ever heard of a hackintosh computer? I would assume NOT. IN so few words; a hackintosh computer allows you to load OSX on non-Apple hardware. As a personal example...using iAtkos, I was able to load OSX 10.6.8 on an Acer Netbook (which previously run Windows 7, and now runs Windows 8.1). I had that netbook overclocked, and it lagged like a mofo when running OSX...but it ran Windows 7 and currently runs Windows 8.1 so smoothly beautifully. OSX is a bloated POS.

      As for your software and hardware comment, it is totally bogus. iOS 8 has to work on a number of models, with different hardware, and different chipsets. Unlike machines, like the Xbox One and PS4, which can be coded right down to the metal, the iOS is no different than Android, in the sense that it needs higher level interpreters to run on various different kinds of hardware. Every phone that may run iOS may be a product of Crapple, but when you get down to the chips and the guts, they are all comparably different, in many ways. in this sense, iOS and Android are, in a sense, similar. Neither OS has hardware that can be coded to the metal.

      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      And Twittle Dumb makes a uninvited presence once again trying to spread fandroid cheer amongst a Apple crowd. LOSER!!!! LMAO
      Clearly you have nothing meaningful to add, or nothing intelligent enough to say to refute my obviously irrefutable claims. GO back to chewing grass and getting sheered. If you can't understand that, let me put that in a way that you would understand...
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
      Clearly you have nothing meaningful to add, or nothing intelligent enough to say to refute my obviously irrefutable claims. GO back to chewing grass and getting sheered. If you can't understand that, let me put that in a way that you would understand...
      Isn't that calling the pot kettle black? What are you adding that is so meaningful and intelligent here? You don't support Apple products and talking trash. Nobody likes you and questions WTF are you here? ROFLMFAO
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Hey, nakedcrook, in my experience the Android simulator runs far smoother on my Hackintosh's OS X partition than Windows 8.1 or Ubuntu. What does that prove?
    1. Loxs's Avatar
      Loxs -
      nakedcrook,

      Your statement that OSX is bloated because it lags on a hackintosh is perhaps not the greatest basis considering it's a "hackintosh" the clue is in the name, the drivers generally have been hacked together to work, then you have the EFI bootloader which is again hacked together and not optimal, I run a macbook pro with both windows and OSX running, both operating systems perform perfectly couldn't say one over the other. OSX is certainly not "bloated". P.S i used to run a hackintosh and it is in no way likened to a true OSX experience. Just because you put a Ferrari engine in a Mini doesn't make it a Ferrari or give you the experience of a Ferrari right?

      iOS is coded for specific hardware which is why there are multiple installs depending on what device you are using, this is obviously not for the fun of it and is to optimise and take advantage of the resources that specific device has. Just to mention you talked about XBOX ones and PS4 being coded for down to the metal, but the 360 and PS3 had numerous HW updates by your point they couldn't have coded the OS to the metal...

      Bottom line if you really don't like something don't use it that's the beauty of having a choice. People say religion is the cause for all wars but i think humans would find any excuse to argue and be mean to each other. This is evident as people flame due to which mobile phone they decide to purchase or what operating system they prefer to use or which game console they have. Surely there must be bigger things going on than to really worry about this kind of stuff. Enjoy the devices you use, else look for an alternative.
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
      I was able to load OSX 10.6.8 on an Acer Netbook (which previously run Windows 7, and now runs Windows 8.1). I had that netbook overclocked, and it lagged like a mofo when running OSX...but it ran Windows 7 and currently runs Windows 8.1 so smoothly beautifully. OSX is a bloated POS.way that you would understand...
      First, acer brand is a horrible pos. Second, OSX runs like butter on my custom build hackintosh. If there's one thing OSX does NOT have, it is bloatware. Educate yourself, Your nothing but a stupid android fanboy *****. Dummy