• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Jony Ive Briefly 'Vanishes' from Apple


    The tech blogosphere began stirring wildly on Monday morning with speculation that Apple's Senior VP of Design Jony Ive might had left the company when the design guru briefly disappeared without warning from the company's online executive leadership directory.

    As it turns out, the sirens had sounded prematurely. In fact, Ive is still with Apple. So why did he briefly vanish from the esteemed Apple directory? According to the BBC, it was all a minor glitch (more like a bad dream, however, for AAPL investors).

    "We're in the process of updating the Exec Profiles... and Jony's profile will be back up online shortly," a rep for Apple told the BBC shortly after the hullabaloo began.

    Nonetheless, it's understandable why the temporary omission would garner attention. As illustrated through the departure of former Apple executive Bob Mansfield, Apple has previously bid farewell to executives without issuing preliminary remarks or confirmation of the looming departure.

    Source: BBC (via Twitter)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jony Ive Briefly 'Vanishes' from Apple started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 29 Comments
    1. severe's Avatar
      severe -
      Man, that would've sucked.
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      With the mess that iOS7 is, I think it would have been great to see this happen. Really, iOS7 does look like a 2 year old designed it.
    1. iYeow's Avatar
      iYeow -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
      With the mess that iOS7 is, I think it would have been great to see this happen. Really, iOS7 does look like a 2 year old designed it.
      I agree.
    1. thomas84's Avatar
      thomas84 -
      cmwade77 i would like to see you design a system like iOS 7... if a 2year old can a suppose you can too:-)
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      Amazing how people have nothing better to do than refresh this directory watching for changes. Thanks Jony for creating a Fisher Price my first iPhone.
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      It's not the iPhone anymore it's the Jony Ives phone...

      I wish Forstall was still onboard...then Ives wouldn't get complete dominance...

      Ives should stick to hardware only NOT take on the software side of things IMO...
    1. severe's Avatar
      severe -
      You can't please everyone. And those that are dissatisfied are clearly outnumbered here.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      iOS 7 looks far better than any other stock firmware or jailbreak theme in my opinion. I loved Scott Forstall's wacky personality, but he was bad for the company both in his software design and maps projects. How could anyone look at that linen texture he suddenly stuck all over iOS and OS X and think "Oh yeah that looks good"? The new white navigation bars are no worse than those blue ones. Most App Store developers realize that custom interfaces usually look better with custom colors, so it's not like they're all over.
    1. alanjf's Avatar
      alanjf -
      Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
      You can't please everyone. And those that are dissatisfied are clearly outnumbered here.
      And you know this how exactly? Would you care to share any hard data, that shows to some reasonable degree that the majority of iOS 7 users are really satisfied with the look and feel and not just going with it because they don't have a fing choice?
    1. uri8472's Avatar
      uri8472 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      The new white navigation bars are no worse than those blue ones.
      From what I've seen, more people dislike the boarder less appearance makes elements like navigation buttons much less defined than they were before. What's worse is that rather than actually allowing real theming, like Android and Windows Phone have for quite sometime, they just throw a whole new look and dictate that everyone must just accept it if they wish to continue using iOS (especially since you cannot choose the version you wish to run on hardware they you own...), and I'm not even going to get into all the elements in iOS 7 that have been blatantly lifted from both Android and Windows Phone.

      To fair though, I don't believe Apple was wrong for wanting to try a different overall look and feel, but this just at the same time, there is a difference between trying something and forcing it on your clientele and depriving them of having any choice (without jail-breaking at least.)
    1. WiiWendy's Avatar
      WiiWendy -
      My family and I love ios7 (we've all had iPhones from the get go). It's classy, sleek and really fun to use. Isn't that the whole idea of the iPhone? If your complaining about it then get an Android because you've lost your love for the iPhone. And that to me is really sad :-(
    1. The Highlander's Avatar
      The Highlander -
      Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
      I agree.
      Same here...

      In all honestly.. iOS5 and maybe iOS6 was the high point of apple... They might argue that iOS7 adoption rate and what not, but they are definitely capitalizing on the good esteem of iOS5/iOS6.

      iOS is ultra slow (even in 5s) and it cumbersome to work with and its a memory HOG.
    1. alanjf's Avatar
      alanjf -
      Quote Originally Posted by WiiWendy View Post
      My family and I love ios7 (we've all had iPhones from the get go). It's classy, sleek and really fun to use. Isn't that the whole idea of the iPhone? If your complaining about it then get an Android because you've lost your love for the iPhone. And that to me is really sad :-(
      I really don't understand this line of thinking. Why do you believe that one just hate or no longer love their iPhone in order to be critical about a particular aspect of it, or a particular version thereof?

      Is it so hard for people like yourself to accept that not everyone like the new look and feel? And does that have to mean that there is something wrong with them. because you only allowing yourself to see only one point of view? Is it really so heinous to like, say, iOS 6 more than iOS 7?

      If nothing else, please tell me this: Does one ALWAYS have to like the latest iteration of something, especially if it's made by Apple, else such a person MUST simply be just anti-chance, that they can't possibility just free-thinking individuals who don't necessarily have to go with the flow every time a new version of something is released? Wow, just wow, is this really how must of Apple's core really thinks? I really don't want to believe that humanity has sunk this low, I really don't, but sometimes it feel like that giant asteroid can't come soon enough.
    1. uri8472's Avatar
      uri8472 -
      Quote Originally Posted by WiiWendy View Post
      My family and I love ios7 (we've all had iPhones from the get go). It's classy, sleek and really fun to use. Isn't that the whole idea of the iPhone? If your complaining about it then get an Android because you've lost your love for the iPhone. And that to me is really sad :-(
      My g...., how flipping arrogant can you be to assume that because someone dares to be critical of something that they do no like, that they no longer love their present device and so must go to another brand? Who are you exactly to dictate what someone can say and use?
    1. ThatOneProfile's Avatar
      ThatOneProfile -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
      Same here...

      In all honestly.. iOS5 and maybe iOS6 was the high point of apple... They might argue that iOS7 adoption rate and what not, but they are definitely capitalizing on the good esteem of iOS5/iOS6.

      iOS is ultra slow (even in 5s) and it cumbersome to work with and its a memory HOG.
      iOS is not slow or even close to what android's fragmentation is. I have to admit with the 64bit my 5s does crash more often on safari but other than that, Id take it over android anyday. This is coming from an ex galaxy s4 user.
    1. severe's Avatar
      severe -
      Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
      And you know this how exactly? Would you care to share any hard data, that shows to some reasonable degree that the majority of iOS 7 users are really satisfied with the look and feel and not just going with it because they don't have a fing choice?
      Here's one such poll.

      As I'm sure you're aware, the iPhone's 5s and 5c came equipped with iOS 7. Apple broke sales records with each phone.

      And here is your hard data.
    1. znbl's Avatar
      znbl -
      Anyone remember this very particular Super Bowl commercial circa 1984? I wonder who that unending line of unquestioning denizens who accept anything put before them as long as it comes from the guiding hand from on high really represents today...
    1. uri8472's Avatar
      uri8472 -
      Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
      Here's one such poll.

      As I'm sure you're aware, the iPhone's 5s and 5c came equipped with iOS 7. Apple broke sales records with each phone.

      And here is your hard data.
      With all due respect, all this proves is that people have been willing to give the new changes a chance, as well as the fact that it doesn't appear to take into account that many people taking poll might be uses who are new and never really used iOS prior to iOS 7 as well as those who have been using iOS 7 and just got used to it because they had ability to downgrade. Also, you should consider that the fact that Apple has been riding the coat tails of it's previous successes, name, and prestige of both. The real stats of the matter wont really come to fruition until the next iteration of iOS is out.
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      I love ios7, I use "noslowanimations" from Cydia to speed it up.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by uri8472 View Post
      From what I've seen, more people dislike the boarder less appearance makes elements like navigation buttons much less defined than they were before. What's worse is that rather than actually allowing real theming, like Android and Windows Phone have for quite sometime, they just throw a whole new look and dictate that everyone must just accept it if they wish to continue using iOS (especially since you cannot choose the version you wish to run on hardware they you own...), and I'm not even going to get into all the elements in iOS 7 that have been blatantly lifted from both Android and Windows Phone.

      To fair though, I don't believe Apple was wrong for wanting to try a different overall look and feel, but this just at the same time, there is a difference between trying something and forcing it on your clientele and depriving them of having any choice (without jail-breaking at least.)
      I really can't understand how the navigation bar buttons are at all harder to distinguish compared to iOS 6. They're bigger, and the back arrow in iOS 7 is actually more obvious. Some buttons outside the navigation bar I cloud maybe understand, but they're still pretty clear given proper context, delineation (when necessary) and color.

      As for theming, I think the main elements people have an issue with are too deep within the interface of an app to leave it up to the user to change. Developers should be allowed to create their own interfaces without users complaining because some third-party theme makes it look dumb or not have proper contrast (and the user not realizing the app developer isn't to blame). And it's pretty clear when you look at some apps that Apple doesn't force them to use things like white navigation bars or buttons that aren't contained within boxes. They can customize the interface almost as much as they want, as long as it isn't to some crazy point where it becomes disorienting. They can even allow the user to choose different themes within the app.

      For some reason I have never come across a home screen/launcher or lock screen theme on either iOS or Android that I like better than the stock version, but I guess an argument could be made for making those available. Themes for stock apps would go in the same category.