• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Judge Finds Samsung Infringing an Apple Patent and Invalidates another Samsung Patent


    US District Court Judge Lucy Koh recently entered an order granting in part Apple’s summary judgment for the upcoming Apple vs. Samsung trial, finding Samsung to infringe on one patent while invalidating another belonging to the Korean company. In her summary judgment, Judge Koh ruled Samsung devices in question infringe on Apple’s US Patent No. 8,074,172 for autocorrect functionality in iOS, while a Samsung patent covering multimedia synchronization was found invalid. Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents noted the orders relate to two Apple motions for summary judgment in an upcoming case slated to begin in March.

    Judge Koh, who presided over the landmark Apple vs. Samsung jury trial and is currently in post-trial proceedings, will oversee the two companies’ second California patent case in spring. The jurist previously laid down grown rules for both parties, limiting each side’s infringement contentions to 15 accused devices and ten asserted claims from five patents.

    With the recent partial granting of Apple motion for a summary judgment, Judge Koh also invalidated one of Samsung’s patents-in-suit, bringing the count down to four for the South Korean tech giant. Samsung was previously asserting three claims from US Patent No. 7,577,757, which covers synchronization of multimedia content across multiple devices. Samsung acquired the property in 2011, well into the firm’s patent battle with Apple. Mueller speculates that Samsung obtained the patent primarily for use as a weapon against Apple in future litigation. In any case, Judge Koh found the property invalid as Apple successfully argued prior art to each Samsung claim.

    Mueller noted that Judge Koh’s order is in line with pre-trial proceedings of the first Apple vs. Samsung trial that took place in the summer of 2012. At the time, Samsung was denied each of its summary judgment requests in the case, while Apple was cleared of infringing one of three Samsung patents. This time around, Apple may be in an even better position as it already has one patent deemed infringed, meaning the counsel only needs to defend the property’s validity during trial. It also has four other patents in play, though Judge Koh denied summary judgments for two of these in her recent order.

    Last but not least, Samsung found no joy in its own motion for summary judgment as the jurist denied it in full. The second Northern California Apple vs. Samsung trial is scheduled to start on March 31. We will have to wait and see what happens next.

    Source: Scribd via FOSS Patents
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Judge Finds Samsung Infringing an Apple Patent and Invalidates another Samsung Patent started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
    1. Norb's Avatar
      Norb -
      As much as I like competition, I despise Samsung. You can't really even call that competition, it's more of a bad joke that you can't believe how much it gets away with.
    1. subreality's Avatar
      subreality -
      ^ Agreed. If they would had signed the settlement deal Apple sent them which included a no-cloning provision, it would ruin their business.
    1. garfielgato2's Avatar
      garfielgato2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      As much as I like competition, I despise Samsung. You can't really even call that competition, it's more of a bad joke that you can't believe how much it gets away with.
      I just bought a Samsung phone GS4 and trust me, this device is pure horseshit, yes sure it has a better hardware and good display, but their software and features that comes with it doesn't impress me a lot. Good thing thing that I still have my iPad mini and help from getting hypnotized from those bastards.
    1. tridley68's Avatar
      tridley68 -
      Sweet good news for Apple .
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post
      but their software
      that would be Google's software and yes Android is ****
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post
      I just bought a Samsung phone GS4 and trust me, this device is pure horseshit, yes sure it has a better hardware and good display, but their software and features that comes with it doesn't impress me a lot. Good thing thing that I still have my iPad mini and help from getting hypnotized from those bastards.
      Oh that made me lol...in a good way. Never jumped ship but good to hear it from another viewpoint!
    1. WHUDS's Avatar
      WHUDS -
      Sigh why is this so important? Just rubbish, why care about inferior non ios phones so much?
    1. zeppy's Avatar
      zeppy -
      Apple makes some terrific products and in many ways Apple is shaping the future of computing devices.

      From phones to tablets to desktops, Apple has delivered value and quality and shaken Microsoft's foundation.

      Having said that, Apple management is guilty of being patent whores and sues in order to destroy competition which is the only hope of having a better future for all of us.

      Auto-correct technology? Give me a break. Apple should be sued for using it without paying royalties to the myriad of companies that developed Auto-correct years before Apple got their "bogus patent" for Auto-correct in the first place.

      Will the corrupt officials in government please fix the broken rules and policies in the US Patent Office?

      Oh wait, if they do that then the money that changes hands under the table for the issuing of bogus patents would stop...
    1. kosher1's Avatar
      kosher1 -
      The lawyers are banking !!!!!
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Sounds like good news for Apple. I wish I could say that Samsung will learn something from this, but I know that's not true. They will continue to mirror Apple any way they can.
    1. jigar7's Avatar
      jigar7 -
      Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
      Apple makes some terrific products and in many ways Apple is shaping the future of computing devices.

      From phones to tablets to desktops, Apple has delivered value and quality and shaken Microsoft's foundation.

      Having said that, Apple management is guilty of being patent whores and sues in order to destroy competition which is the only hope of having a better future for all of us.

      Auto-correct technology? Give me a break. Apple should be sued for using it without paying royalties to the myriad of companies that developed Auto-correct years before Apple got their "bogus patent" for Auto-correct in the first place.

      Will the corrupt officials in government please fix the broken rules and policies in the US Patent Office?

      Oh wait, if they do that then the money that changes hands under the table for the issuing of bogus patents would stop...
      +1

      Competition is necessary... and Apple seems to win some stupid lawsuits... this is corruption at it's best!
      If it was a design patent... then yeah... Apple is right... but Auto-correct... that's pure BS!
      As much as I love Apple products... if Apple ever has a monopoly... then prepare to buy a 1000$+ iPhone in the future! No one in the market to bring down the prices would be disastrous... like the Power industry in India. No competition has resulted in inflated prices... and still rising!
      I have noticed that Apple has been steadily raising the prices of every product... can't blame it totally on the component prices... they are trying to make larger profits every year... how about trying to target a wider base of consumers for a profit rather than raising prices!

      20-50$ increase in price per iPhone/iPad is negligible for a consumer... but when you look at the larger picture... like multiplying it by a million or a billion devices... the profit is HUGE!!
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      that would be Google's software and yes Android is ****
      Unless he was referring to all the bloatware put on by the carrier or the Samsung TW crap.
    1. zeppy's Avatar
      zeppy -
      Quote Originally Posted by jigar7 View Post

      ... if Apple ever has a monopoly... then prepare to buy a 1000$+ iPhone in the future! ...
      ^^^ This ^^^
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
      Unless he was referring to all the bloatware put on by the carrier or the Samsung TW crap.
      Na it's Android, clunky, unrefined and very irritating