Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Overclock iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4!

Too late for that one lol

Thanks
    Can I do this on my iPod touch 4g and is it dangerous?

hi guys i edited the fstab! but how can i check the cpu realtime clock?!?!
    and should i change the authorization number?!!? mine right now its 644??!

and i saw this post on youtube :
    "actually, i figured that i had to access the ARM processor through craking open the device. i used my electronic editor and flashed the cpu. now it is running faster than ever!./ but its kinda risky. btw, your method doesn't work. fstab is only a file used to modify what an iphone does and how it boots. editing the file doesn't do anything for the iphone has another file located inside the root directory to control the boot files. hope you understand buddy. but GOOD TRY! "

Default This doesn't work...
    Hi guy
    This doesn't work on IOS 4.2.1 3GS
    I think that this is not a overclok way
    I have test CPU performance before and after with tar command
    But I cannot found differentation
    Last edited by thekey; 02-08-2011 at 11:16 PM.

FStab isn't a script like you guys think it is, I've posted this on so many different forums but no one seems to get it. The /etc/fstab file stand for FileSystem Table, it only contains information about the filesystems for the mount command, it's not a script, it doesn't run commands. The kernel only reads it for the filesystem information and then mounts the root filesystem. It really has nothing to do with the Syscalls at all. Even if it was a script, it cannot be run before control of the system is given to iOS (which we know iOS is the part that blocked the hw.cpufrequency call anyway). This cannot be so as the filesystem would have to be mounted during iBoot's runtime and then the processor would have to be able to understand the script. As the XNU/Darwin kernel isn't running at the time of iBoot's runtime, sh/bash cannot run. The FSTab isn't stored in a bootsector or a separate part of the device. It's stored in NAND which is where the User/OS Storage is. iBoot, the XNU/Darwin Kernel and Recovery Mode's Kernel are all stored inside NOR. This is why you aren't able to update iOS with it running (which is why iOS has to reboot the device into Recovery/DFU mode to update/restore), NOR is not readily accessible through iOS. iBoot however has full access to NOR.

The variables you are trying to change are stored in NVRAM. NVRAM is a type of RAM that doesn't lose it contents when the device is powered off which makes it the perfect place to store device-specific preferences like the CPU Freq.

The boot process is like this BootRom executes, reads NVRAM (which is possibly set by the Devtree when it's uploaded to the device during the OS installation), Passes Control to iBoot/iBEC/iBSS which then boots and passes control to the iOS XNU/Darwin Kernel image stored in NOR. The Kernel (iOS) reads NAND and arbitrarily pre-loads kext files from /System/Library/Extensions to load drivers for booting the system then reads fstab to determine which of the filesystems stored on NAND to mount (/ and /var).

To further prove this, if /etc/fstab was a script, placing the command "mount" infront of /dev/disk0s* should not have any adverse affects and you will still be able to boot your device. However since /etc/fstab is not a script, Your device will not be able to find the root filesystem (which if your device is in verbose mode during the boot you'll see something along the lines of: PANIC -- Cannot find root device or the famous OSx86 error: Still waiting on root device...) and will have to restore your iOS to working order.

For those of you willing to attempt to disprove me, do the aforementioned modifications to fstab and reboot, Please do come back and complain that your device cannot boot anymore.

Hopefully I've put this theory (that just won't seem to die) in the ground completely.

And now that you all have been enlightened as to the function of this file within the XNU/Darwin system, please go forth and disprove this absurd overclocking theory on any site that you see it on. It's been debunked by a couple of sites already like MacRumors, iFans and now here.

Thank you and I encourage you all to read that post, it took me forever to type it and I understand it's a really long explanation as to why this won't work but I want to put this absurd technique behind everyone.

Solution to overclocking:
    Find a way to hack the iBoot/DevTree up and remove the locks or find some way to change the NVRAM variable before iOS is even started. Or if your feeling adventurous, iOS's kernel I believe is open-source so go forth and find that locking code in the kernel, recompile it and try it out. Hopefully some developer will be able to do this and it can be incorporated into one of the major jailbreaks someday.

Quote Originally Posted by DaAwesome1 View Post
    Hey guys, as far as i know, this works on iOS 4.0 - iOS 4.0.2. So, here are the instructions!

1: SSH into your iPhone and goto /private/etc and backup the "fstab" file.
    2: Open up fstab in TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad.
    3: Add the following lines:
    su
    alpine (Unless you changed it to something else.)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=???000000 (Replace ??? with the MHz Ex: 600)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=???000000 (Same as above)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000 (Replace ??? with the MHz you want when the iPhone is sleeping, etc..)

Add those before:
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2

So, in the end, it'll look like this:

su
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=???000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=???000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000

4: Reboot your iPhone!

(PS: If you try using a tool like Checkup, or something, itll say the same thing because it checks it using the model number and firmware model!)
    __________________________________________________ ________

Credits: Monsieurtalbot of SinFul iPhone

Thanks guys, tell me how it goes!
    Works like a charm on my iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3.3 8J2). I tried it with Linpack since it seemed impossible to find a really good benchmark tool that manage to repeat the results from one run to another =/
    Linpack runs a series of tests as fast as the iPhone can. It varies from run to run, but in my case no more than with 3Mflop/s up or down.
    After several tests before the hack I get an average of about 33.7 Mflop/s and after the hack...

Drumroll...

35.9 Mflop/s

sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=950000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=950000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=200000000

That's +6.5% which is quite alot =) I don't notice any difference in the general speed of the phone just by using it though. I guess the phone is fast enough without the hack, but I do imagine for 2G and 3G (And maybe even 3GS) this can be a very noticable hack!

Thanks for a great hack!!!

You brought back a pretty old thread, this doesn't work, already been proved placebo effect. Please read my post above yours for details. This isn't an overclock. Maybe someone can get a Mod to lock this thread?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hexane View Post
    You ignored everything fstab is for, Its for mounting filesystems! FILESYSTEM = FS. For example:

partition mount dir format read write

And seriously, Did I really need you to point out what directory its mounting at? Perhaps worse then an ISP Operator treating you like you don't even know what DNS is.

I've worked on overclocking the iPhone with plenty people (Helpmy360isEMO, pwnthe2g, iH8sn0w, lilstevie) -- This theroy is wrong on so many ******* levels.

hw.cpufrequency is no longer hooked with the actual hardware, planetbeing has proven this.

EDIT:

Oh and I suppose that sysctl gets its variable readings from the model too.

EDIT 2: Oh and I'll think you will find SU is a file, might wanna check in /bin/ on your filesystem. iOS Doesn't run on a windows kernel, idiot.
    Lol Hexane, you just pwnd this whole thread before it even started

Hey guys, as far as i know, this works on iOS 4.0 - iOS 4.0.2. So, here are the instructions!

su
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000 (Replace ??? with the MHz you want when the iPhone is sleeping, etc..)

Add those before:

su

(PS: If you try using a tool like Checkup, or something, itll say the same thing because it checks it using the model number and firmware model!)

Ipod touch 2g running at 1ghz(and probably 3x as hot as it should be). DDDDDDD
    If i helped, don't be afraid to hit the thanks button. It won't bite!!!!

How may I hack you?

Unhappy HELP-sysctl: oid 'hw.cpufrequency_max' is read only
    sysctl: oid 'hw.cpufrequency_max' is read only helpppppppppppppp

Post Now
    Can anybody tell me, how to overclock an 3GS device running iOS 5 ??

ddonuts4 & @rkbm_blink182
    Currently, you cannot overclock any device really. The overclocks available are simply placebo effects, including this one. As was said in many different places of the thread, /etc/fstab is not a script. It's an informational table for the kernel to mount file systems and is available on all *nix based Operating Systems.

man357:
    That's been read only since before 3.1.3, I think the only iOS to have this read-write was 2.0 and lower (I could be wrong, but it's definitely not the 3.x series).

Now please, this is an old thread with a fake overclocking method that needs to die out, can we stop bumping this thread every few months. Infact, this is my last reply to this thread.

To those who keep trying this without reading the whole thread.. It's fake, this file will not help you on your quest to an Overclock, neither will that SystemPowerManagement.plist edit (Which just stops the Processor Stepping and keeps it running at it's default clock the whole time, meaning no speedup, just battery eating.).

Cool What I Did

su

Add those before:

su

This is what I did. I have an iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1 and I did this with iFile.
    alpine
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=2000000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=2000000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=800000000
    /dev/disk0s1s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s1s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    Last edited by GT III; 04-08-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Can we get a Moderator to close this thread, too many idiots won't read the thread and preform these instructions which could cause them to need a restore, even though me and a bunch of others already have enough proof posted that this can't and doesn't work without perhaps a custom kernel or possibly a custom DevTree that would unlock sysctl parameters or set the processor clock (respectively).

Overclocking the iOS platform is not possible atthis time and these instructions will not work! Read the whole thread before you use instructions that could potentially break your iOS install and give you nothing but a placebo effect.

Thank you, please lock this thread.

Oh well then if this doesn't work and it is not possible to overclock the iPhone why is my iPhone 4 going faster than my iPad 2 and my friend's iPhone 4S?! Can you explain that to me Mr. I Know Everything!

It's not. It's running at it's stock clock. Apple has blocked write access to the NVRAM parameters that this claims to give access to. If you would read the thread and do your research you'd know arguing this is moot. Furthermore, fstab is not a script that's run before iOS boots, it is a data file with a specific informational format that the kernel uses to mount filesystems at boot, therefore no commands that this tells you to place in the file are even executed.

please, research and learn the facts before you attempt to start an argument, and PLEASE read the thread before posting.

Never mind I don't want to talk about this anymore. I know what I am doing and I wasn't the one trying to start an argument. That was you.

That was partly me yes, but I actually know what I'm talking about but oh well. Still needs to be locked.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this thing is still going around ... lmao!!!

this most definitely does not work... it amazing what ppl will try this just with false hope, lmfao!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^ welcome to modmyi ... tip#1 read the more than just few last post of each thread. and don't forget that search is your buddy

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast