Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: [IMO] DON'T use ZiPhone 2.5 on a 4.6 BL phone

  1. #41
    My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sinking Spring, PA
    Posts
    898
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 102 Times in 86 Posts

    so how does apple check the bootloader without jailbreaking the phone (basicly saying is my best bet to return it to a store insted of sending it back)

    Quote Originally Posted by A.Xerror View Post
    Becouse i Dont have signal with 3.9 BL in my carrier
    Ziphone ****** My iPhone

    Yes I Need Softwear
    there is proof that ziphone screws up sometimes
    Last edited by lillewis51; 03-12-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to lillewis51 For This Useful Post:

    morgan1234 (04-13-2008)

  3. #42
    gah double post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    When you jailbreak a phone, your warranty is void, we all know it. So trying to take it back to Apple is just as "morally suspect" as geeb's hearsay comment about Zibri and Pumpkin.

    So you guys go on with your debate without me, you'll be happy to hear that. All I go by is what I see, do and experience. Not by what I'm told, which to say the least is extremely conflicted. I'll continue to use Ziphone as it has never caused me any problems.
    Suuure ya will
    Last edited by geeb; 03-12-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. #43
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by geeb View Post
    Like this thread says, you CANNOT now upgrade back to 4.6 without a lot of effort.

    If Apple decide to check serial against BL ver, there is going to be a shitstorm.



    ...

    I understand what your saying about upgrading back will be a pain in the arse, but what i dont understand is why we would want too, like i said everything works fine, iv not had any issues with the phone side of it, i think your looking too deap into the whole apple checking your BL ver, why would they want to do this, what gains would they achieve.. My understanding is the iphone has to be bought out right before you can get your hands on one, making the iphone your own personal property, not apples. yes you have vioded your warrenty and if something did happen you would prob be screwed, but 9 times out of 10 a simple restore and update via itunes, cures most problems, unless it is hardware related...

    I think this Ziphone hate campain is getting out of hand, there hundreds of satisfied customers using it at the mo and maybe a handful of customers thats had problems, and i think you 2 guys trying to turn everyone against the Ziphone series needs to stop, im starting to think that this whole thread is to steer everyone onto a product you guys are trying to promote. As a iphone user and most will agree, the more programs on offer the better but trying to knock someones out the way to make way for users is just plain and simply unnessesery..

    Sorry if iv jumped the gun on the last part but thats how its looking in my eyes.

  5. #44
    holy **** what a stupid discussion. ziphone is a good piece of software but ****... stop being a fanboy Eurisko. iPlus is a much better option right now because after using it it lets you upgrade to 4.6 or GeoMod or whatever comes in the future. Its better because, IT GIVES YOU MORE OPTIONS AND FREEDOME. Especially in this community where so many new things are released and nobody knows whether BL 3.9 will keep being the best choice, so having all options you can have is the way to go.

    Its a shame that you spread false information, especially since you are a Mod and since that makes you an authority. People take your word and your putting down "you have only two posts" more serious and believe the ******** you say.

    crashx

  6. #45
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    Dearie me...

    I've forgotten what the thread is about now.
    Last edited by dale1v; 03-12-2008 at 08:39 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

  7. #46
    iPhone? More like MyPhone echo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YYZ & KUL
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts

    So what does this all mean for someone like me who has a week 35 iPhone with 3.9BL originally and has used ZiPhone v2.5 to unlock? How am I and thousands of others like me affected and what does this mean in terms of future updates?

    cheers,
    e
    15.4" 2.8GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Pwnage Unlocked 16GB iPhone (2.1)
    Apple Unlocked 16GB 3G iPhone (2.2)

  8. #47
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    holy **** what a stupid discussion. ziphone is a good piece of software but ****... stop being a fanboy Eurisko. iPlus is a much better option right now because after using it it lets you upgrade to 4.6 or GeoMod or whatever comes in the future. Its better because, IT GIVES YOU MORE OPTIONS AND FREEDOME. Especially in this community where so many new things are released and nobody knows whether BL 3.9 will keep being the best choice, so having all options you can have is the way to go.

    Its a shame that you spread false information, especially since you are a Mod and since that makes you an authority. People take your word and your putting down "you have only two posts" more serious and believe the ******** you say.

    crashx
    Being a Mod doesn't make me an authority, it makes me a Mod. I don't claim to be an authority on the development aspect of the iPhone; like I stated before I relay what I've seen. And as you can plainly see, no one in this thread takes my word.

    As for your personal attacks saying I spread false information and calling me a "fanboy", that is unwarranted. I'm not a "fanboy" of any product, I use what works. And if I find something better I'll switch to that. You guys think because you're Developers, that makes you some sort of clubhouse elite, and I think it goes to your heads. I have more positive issues to occupy my time, so I'll leave you to it. Thanks for you comments though.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  9. #48
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    O_o
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

  10. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Being a Mod doesn't make me an authority, it makes me a Mod. I don't claim to be an authority on the development aspect of the iPhone; like I stated before I relay what I've seen. And as you can plainly see, no one in this thread takes my word.

    As for your personal attacks saying I spread false information and calling me a "fanboy", that is unwarranted. I'm not a "fanboy" of any product, I use what works. And if I find something better I'll switch to that. You guys think because you're Developers, that makes you some sort of clubhouse elite, and I think it goes to your heads. I have more positive issues to occupy my time, so I'll leave you to it. Thanks for you comments though.
    I didnt say you claim authority, but people SEE you as an authority. Usually people think Mods know wtf they are talking about it - this is how it should be.

    crashx

  11. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    When you jailbreak a phone, your warranty is void, we all know it. So trying to take it back to Apple is just as "morally suspect" as geeb's hearsay comment about Zibri and Pumpkin.

    So you guys go on with your debate without me, you'll be happy to hear that. All I go by is what I see, do and experience. Not by what I'm told, which to say the least is extremely conflicted. I'll continue to use Ziphone as it has never caused me any problems.
    What I say is based on experience and what I know from years of experience with computers and hacking. I'm not just repeating what I heard.

    Yes, ziphone may have not caused you problems, but it's not an assurance that it's safe and will not be a problem in the future.

    Take a look at two examples we have with the iPhone:

    1-IPSF. Those that paid for IPSF will never be able to restore their seczones back. Soon will come a situation where those phones will not work. Right now, IPSFed phones need the "signal" app or script to reunlock the phone on every boot. Why, because Apple relocks it when they find the IPSF seczone hack

    2-First HW and SW unlocks. When 1.1.1 came, the way the first phones where unlocked caused upgraded phones to go in a brick state. Took GeoHot quite sometime to come out with the "revirginizing" process to enable those phones to return to their pristine state. What if he or someone else could not find a way out of it? Those phones would be stuck at 1.0.2 or bricked at 1.1.1.

    Experience in the "cat and mouse" game calls for one thing: REVERSIBILITY.

    If you are comfortable with the fact that ziphone downgrade is not reversible by software at this time, fine. It's a PERSONAL CHOICE.

    But, you must at least agree that others must know that they are giving up something when they use ziphone.

    I respect positions like "yeah I know that it's irreversible at this time and may not be in the future, but I do not think it will ever matter and ziphone does a great job in my opinion and I will stick with it". Fine that's responsible.

    But bluntly stating that it's good and there is no problems with that is not what I would expect from someone with a forum "moderator" status.

    Enough said, it's all about facts and personal choice.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aviegas For This Useful Post:

    tntmorgan (03-14-2008)

  13. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    So what does this all mean for someone like me who has a week 35 iPhone with 3.9BL originally and has used ZiPhone v2.5 to unlock? How am I and thousands of others like me affected and what does this mean in terms of future updates?

    cheers,
    e
    If your phone had originally a 3.9BL, the BL was not touched by ZiPhone 2.5.

    Up to now Apple has never updated the bootloader when you Update/Restore a phone using iTunes.

    One should expect that Apple will continue to support 3.9 BL in future firmware updates or it will upgrade the bootloader if required.

    Until a software solution is found to upgrade a 3.9 OTB BL, your are stuck with it (or you can open the phone and use the testpoint ...)

    You will be affected only IF in the future a smarter bootloader is developed and becomes a better choice to unlock phones.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 03-12-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Personal sarcasm removed

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buzios For This Useful Post:

    ASar08 (03-12-2008), tntmorgan (03-17-2008)

  15. #52
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts

    Well this post has certainly got me a little bit concerned. I didn't realize that ZiPhone did irreversible stuff to the phone.

    To repeat echo's question: I have a week 30 phone. What does this mean for me?

    EDIT: Nevermind, thanks Buzios.
    Last edited by ASar08; 03-12-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Question answered.
    If my post was helpful to you, hit the thanks button!

  16. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by ASar08 View Post
    Well this post has certainly got me a little bit concerned. I didn't realize that ZiPhone did irreversible stuff to the phone.

    To repeat echo's question: I have a week 30 phone. What does this mean for me?
    See, this is what I mean. People use it and do not realize it's taking them to a state that is not the best at this time.

    For you, with a week 30 phone, it does not matter at all. You phone already came with bootloader 3.9.

    So to help others:


    Phones up to week 45 have bootloader 3.9 and will stay like that.

    Phone week 45+ will have 4.6: some have hw downgraded to 3.9, some have sw downgraded to 3.9, some have been sw downgraded by ziphone to 3.9 (and the owners do not know or do not realize what it means).

    All phones at the 3.9 level will only change their bootloaders if:

    - a hw based (testpoint) approach is used
    - Apple decides to release a real bootloader upgrade

    If in the future a unlock requires a bootloader hack, 3.9 users will be stuck.

    On the other hand, those with 3.9FB or 4.6 will be ok.

  17. #54
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by aviegas View Post
    But bluntly stating that it's good and there is no problems with that is not what I would expect from someone with a forum "moderator" status.
    Again with the personal attacks. Let's go back to the original reason this thread was created, buzios "bluntly states" that Ziphone gives "no warning" to people and does the bootloader downgrade automatically "without tellling them". Yet when I run ZiPhone, this is the information window I get:

    "This button will jailbreak, activate and unlock your phone. It will also downgrade the bootloader if it's v4.6. If you bought a new iPhone and want it to be completely independent of any operators, use this button."

    So if someone continues to use this option under Ziphone it is a fully informed "Personal Choice".
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  18. #55
    francis
    Guest
    Absolutely not! You are in dire need of some therapy if you feel that that information window is adequate (and don't you dare edit my post you imbecile). What aviegas has said is correct, and I cannot see why, besides having a resounding sense of regret on your part that is leading you to making retarded comments on public forums, you would think otherwise.

    Let me put it to you this way Euidiot, you cannot weasel yourself out of your earlier comments by attempting to focus on your newest follies, let me summarize:

    1) you blatantly asserted that ziphone is wonderful and is made of rainbows and can't hurt your iPhone etc.
    2) you then went on to argue about the virtues of informed consent

    Ok moron, if zicrap was so wonderful, why on earth would we need informed consent? get back to the original point, you made a moronic statement about how wonderful ziphone is. aviegas attempted, politely, to explain why the fakeblank process is not only superior in terms of method, but also safer in the long run.

    Bite me.

  19. #56
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Cody Overcash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    11,894
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

    so this thread has covered everything that needs to be covered, even if it has been done in a er, less than civil manner involving all parties.

    Welcome to the end of this thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •