Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I'm dumb, used ZiPhone, phone unresponsive

Default I'm dumb, used ZiPhone, phone unresponsive
    I really hope someone can help me out on this. I'm new to iPhones period and while looking for a way to jailbreak and unlock it I came across a few youtube videos suggesting Ziphone. Their website seemed credible so I gave it a shot, and now as some of you might expect, the phone is completely unresponsive.

After opening Ziphone I selected to "Do it all" and let it do it's thing for 15-20 minutes. The videos I had watched said it took about 5 minutes, so I thought something was wrong. My iPhone had also not left the USB connect screen, while in the videos I watched they showed the screen running through diagnostics. I decided to click the "Stop Process" button, and now the phone won't turn on. I've tried holding down the home and power button, I've tried holding down the home button while plugging in the USB. It doesn't show up in iTunes, it doesn't show up on ZiPhone or Quickpwn. The computer doesn't recognize it at all. It's a paperweight. What do I do?

Like I said before, I'm new to iPhones, but I believe this is the first generation. The model number on the back is A1203 and it is a 4GB model.

Thanks

Thanks

If you have a 4GB model it is a 2G phone (first gen), however, Ziphone was only for firmware 1.1.4.

What you can do, is restore to a stock firmware in iTunes and use the corresponding Quickpwn to jailbreak/unlock.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

The problem is, I can not get the phone to do anything, including get into restore mode. At the moment it has zero functionality. The screen is off, the buttons don't seem to be doing anything. It's like it has no battery installed, it does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowingChicken View Post
    Hello, thanks for the reply.

The problem is, I can not get the phone to do anything, including get into restore mode. At the moment it has zero functionality. The screen is off, the buttons don't seem to be doing anything. It's like it has no battery installed, it does nothing.
    Even though it's unresponsive, you can still put it into DFU mode.

Plug the iphone into your computer. Press the home button and hold it for five seconds, the press and hold BOTH THE HOME AND POWER BUTTON FOR TEN MORE SECONDS, then RELEASE ONLY THE POWER BUTTON and continue holding the home button until your computer recognizes it as a "Recovery Driver" or something like that. Afterwards, restore back with the stock firmware.

When you are done, use a program called "QuickPWN" and unlock it. if you dont know about it, google it. sorry, im tired right now, so i cant remember any links...

How long should it take for the computer to recognize it? Once I've gone over a minute with nothing happening, should I start over?

It's really not doing anything at all.

Okay, I've fixed it. I don't have a wall charger, but I have a FM Transmitter/Charger for my iPod. I plugged the FM Transmitter into the iPhone, and before I could plug it into the car's power the iPhone screen lit up. I guess there was a small charge in the FM Transmitter to trigger this. Anyway, if anyone is having similar troubles as I am, trying your wall jack or the FM Transmitter/Car Charger.

Now I've got the phone jailbroken and unlocked with Quickpwn, but I am still having trouble with the T-Mobile sim. I guess I should make a new thread for that.
    Last edited by ThrowingChicken; 04-13-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

i seem to be having the same problem as throwing chicken and when i try reboot in DFU it still won't work. any suggestions?

f.y.i. i'm using a first gen iphone. well i've got to the point where at least itunes is recognizing my phone it just says it needs to be restored. now i just bought a 3g and i know if you upgrade to the newest firmware it gives you the 5.0 bootloader so you can't unlock the phone. i need to know what i can do to upload an earlier version of firmware. also if i were to restore it via itunes will that make this phone unlockable?
    Last edited by NOTLONUF; 05-16-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NOTLONUF View Post
    i seem to be having the same problem as throwing chicken and when i try reboot in DFU it still won't work. any suggestions?

f.y.i. i'm using a first gen iphone. well i've got to the point where at least itunes is recognizing my phone it just says it needs to be restored. now i just bought a 3g and i know if you upgrade to the newest firmware it gives you the 5.0 bootloader so you can't unlock the phone. i need to know what i can do to upload an earlier version of firmware. also if i were to restore it via itunes will that make this phone unlockable?
    First off, unless you have the 5.08 bootloader on your 3G you cannot downgrade the baseband- it is currently unlockable. It is the baseband or "modem firmware" that determines if you can unlock your 3G (all versions of 2G are currently unlockable). You can downgrade the version firmware but it will not downgrade teh baseband. The only way you can downgrade the baseband on a 3G is if you have the 5.08 bootloader. Newer 3G's (most) havet eh 5.09 bootloader, so if you have upgraded to 2.1.1 firmware you are out of luck right now.

This said, if you still happen to have 2.2 or lower firmware on your 3G you can unlock it.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.