Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: need to upgrade ziphoned 1.1.4 to 2.1 using QuickPwn 2.1 (Windows)

Default need to upgrade ziphoned 1.1.4 to 2.1 using QuickPwn 2.1 (Windows)
    Hi,

I have 1.1.4 2G iphone which i unlocked using ZiPhoneWin-3.0.
    Now i want to upgrade to 2.1 & came across this tutorial at iclarified iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.1 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)

I just want to know that whether i can upgrade my ziphoned iphone using QuickPwn 2.1 (Windows) to 2.1 firmware. is there any complication i have to take care.
    As i have 1.1.4 , can i directly upgrade to 2.1 using itunes as stated in the tutorial (before running QuickPwn.exe) in step three
    what is BootNeuter as stated in last step (step 13)?

Or i should wait for newer version of ziphone?

i found i more step before i perform quickpwn upgrade on my ziphoned iphone (1.1.4)
    i need to perform "refurbish" using ziphone

You'll want to do a "refurbish" in Ziphone first, that will "clean" up everything on the phone and take it back to OTB condition. Obviously back up everything first.

Then upgrade to 2.1 firmware with Itunes. After that use Quickpwn to "unlock" and "jailbreak" the phone. Just do everything correctly and you shouldnt have any issues.
    is that correct....
    can anyone please provide me complete step to convert my unlocked 1.1.4 2G iphone to unlocked 2.1 iphone.....

thanks in advance
    Last edited by abishekm; 09-23-2008 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 In itunes back up your iphone before you start the tutorial

2 Use RECOVER to get your iphone to 2.1 and there will not be any problems going to 2.1 from 1.1.4

3 Bootneuter is the unlocking tool

4 Do not worry about the "refurbish" in Ziphone, you don't need to do that.

I'm in the same boat and would like to upgrade to 2.1 / iTunes 8.

This seems like a straightforward way to upgrade using QuickPwn.

A couple of additional questions:

1. How is QuickPwn different the full Pwnage tool?

2. I've read elsewhere that if you didn't previously use Pwnage (or QuickPwn) that you may have some issues upgrading, is this true? And if so what issues?

3. After backing up my iPhone, and after this procedure, how do you get the backed up data to the iPhone? And what exactly is backed up (contacts, photos, music, etc.)?

1. Pwnage creates a custom firmware that you will use to restore the iphone in itunes. Quickpwn doesn't. Quickpwn is an all inclusive program, and after you run quickpwn you will be done.

2. No

3. In itunes you will be asked to set the iphone up as a new phone or from the backup.
    Contacts, settings, photos, mail, text msgs, and recents calls are backed up. You will resync in order to get your music, movies, etc. back on the iphone.

Yeah, i read the iClarified guide also... i'm about to do the upgrade to 2.1 firmware from 1.1.4 ziphoned, and i think it is pretty easy as guided by iClarified. i have a question, should i backup my iphone with the itunes 7 or itunes 8? or will it be no problem anyhow?

did anybody has successfully upgrade to 2.1 from 1.1.4 ziphoned??let me know which guide suites the best..

Thanks,

Panji Dhanasaputra

center_99_99 thank you!

For Q3, I assume that the resotre will be done after the process of upgrading, right?

It would be great if anyone that has done this could post their experience.

From the iClarified instructions, it looks like the hardest part is getting the power/sleep button combo pushed correctly.

Tried today, but got the following error message after trying to restore to the Pwnage 2.1 restore files Step 2:

"An unknown error has occurred (1403)."

Instead of using the Pwnage 2.1 file just do a regular restore. In other words don't hold the shift button when you click restore. Then run quickpwn 2.1. I have no idea why they tell you to use the pwnage file.

Do the rest of the tutorial the same, except step 6. Step 6 you will probably have to locate the file that you downloaded to restore the iphone. If you have questions, the best way to contact me is via email.

guys i finally upgraded my 1st gen iphone from 1.1.4 to 2.2 on 31st Jan 2009.. (i know i m bit late in replying... sorry)

I came across wonderful tutorial which actually provided step-by-step instructions which even a 10 yr kid can understand

Complete Guide: Jailbreak & Unlock iPhone 2.2 (2G) using QuickPwn (For Windows) [Updated for firmware 2.2.1] | Simon Blog

thanks to simon's wonderful blog

& now with 2.2 firmware i m spending quite long time over by iphone... with new apps (ofcouse free apps) in appstore

I have created US account in itunes to access apps in appstore. Even creating a new account on itunes was fun part.
    As u have to select any free app from appstore in itunes under US region. Then it will prompt for "create ne account" follow the steps and select "none" in payment section (as u hav selected free app thats why none option will come) and vowla... u hav an itune account and now u can access and download any app...free ones
    i found shazam really interesting....

Thanks again to simon & ofcourse modmyi.com for every help....
    & sorry for late update

-Abi