+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Camera Keeps Crashing! Help Please!

is a discussion within the

ZiPhone

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
ok so heres the deal... had 1.0.2 for a while used zphone did whatever i had to do to upgrade it to 1.1.4...everything was working fine and dandy! but then
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone Camera Keeps Crashing! Help Please!
    ok so heres the deal... had 1.0.2 for a while used zphone did whatever i had to do to upgrade it to 1.1.4...everything was working fine and dandy!

but then i must have downloaded a bad 3rd party app or something... but my iPhones Camera, and photo applications wont launch at all!!! If i hit the camera button, it looks like its about to launch (has that shutter graphic) but then nothing! it doenst open u cant see anything and it just crashed and goes back to the home screen!! Same with the photo app.

Ok so i tried searching everrrryyy where for help but nothing! I guess im the only one with this problem.....yet?

SO the next logical thing to do was to downgrade the firmware using zphone, and basically do a whole reformat/restore. so did that, unlocked/jailbraked it agian...and there it is! the camera is working again!

HOWEVER, you are then required by itunes to RESTORE your iphone... so once i restore, and get my contacts, calander events, notes, etc back... same problem all over again!

ive done this process about 5 times now and the same thing! i even tried to do a system restore on my computure to go back to a previous sync point, but itunes STILL shows today as the most recent sync point.

I guess the only option left is to NOT restore and set up iphone as a new phone.... my main concern is my contacts... i got like 200+ and am not willing to retype all of them

SO CAN ANYONE PLEASEEEEEEEEE PROVIDE ME WITH SOME HELLLLPPPP!!!!

Thanx in advance!!!
    csingh

Yul
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Try this:

1.- Use the BossPrefs option (at more section) "Fix User Dir Permissions", if that dont work...

2.- Look for the camera pictures folder: var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE and modify the folders permissions to 755, if that dont work...

3.- Reset All Settings on Settins/General/(last option, dont remember the english name).

4.- Cry or look for another opinion. ;-)

(sorry for my siouxglish)

Ok, ok, dont cry, one more thing: If the camera folder doesnt exists, create it, give it permissións 755 and pick that command with your terminal:
    chown mobile:wheel /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE
    Last edited by Yul; 04-19-2008 at 09:58 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Yul For This Useful Post:

csingh (04-19-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You can also sync your contacts in itunes, so you don't lose them all. Then, instead of restoring your phone from the backup, set it up as a new phone. Then, when you sync again with itunes, it will sync all of your contacts back to the phone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wine_guy For This Useful Post:

csingh (04-20-2008)

Yul
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Arrghh, he has restore from a backup after upgrade??????

That explains all... And much more.

(Damned ****)

Well, another post to the trash. ;-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yul For This Useful Post:

csingh (04-20-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lol sorry guessi shoulda been more specifig... ok so i tried what u said first Yul and resetted all setting but nope! camera still kept crashing.

so i just set it up as a new phone and then synced it ...and its working fine now!

cept i lost my notes.... wish i woulda backed those up..ops. and my caleneder entried...now i gotta figure out when was that court date for that speeding tix lol.

thanx again hommies!
    apprecaite it

Yul
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Look for TimeCapsule app. You can backup everything with it. (Preserves only the last backup if you dont pay)

:-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default help
    please help i have iphone 3g 3.0 and all of sudden today the camera and photos app keeps exiting whenever i try to open it . but CYcorder works fine, i read you fix i have iphone browser for windows can you explain to to perfom 1st option bossprefs, 2nd option permissions to 775
    thanks my email is [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    Try this:

1.- Use the BossPrefs option (at more section) "Fix User Dir Permissions", if that dont work...

2.- Look for the camera pictures folder: var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE and modify the folders permissions to 755, if that dont work...

3.- Reset All Settings on Settins/General/(last option, dont remember the english name).

4.- Cry or look for another opinion. ;-)

(sorry for my siouxglish)

Ok, ok, dont cry, one more thing: If the camera folder doesnt exists, create it, give it permissións 755 and pick that command with your terminal:
    chown mobile:wheel /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I posted this on another forum where people had problems with there photos and camera crashing when they tried to open due to a faulty camera tweak on cydia, should fix your problem.

Forum - iphone 3g camera focus
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instructions - Fixing Caused Problems With Photos and Camera not Opening.

NOTE: - Your iPhone needs OpenSSH (Available on Cydia) installed on it.
    - This process should fix your photos and camera from not opening by REPLACING the camera files which may have been modified or removed somehow and was successful in fixing this problem on my iPhone 3G with OS 3.0 Firmware.
    - DONT DELETE BUT REPLACE FOLDERS this is very important otherwise your iPhone Firmware will stuff up.
    - Follow these Instructions CAREFULLY

Camera Files
    1. Download the camera files from attachment in forum link (should be Post #24 called camera.zip).

2. Once downloaded extract the files.

WinSCP
    (WINDOWS ONLY)
    1. Get WinSCP from here.

2. After installing, launch WinSCP.

3. Connect to your Wi-Fi network from your iPhone.

4. Now launch WinSCP

5. Now under host name, type your iPhone IP address. (To find your IP address, just go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> and click on the blue network next to the network you're connected to)

4. Don't fill in anything else, and press login.

5. It might say something about a cache, just read the message, and press whichever one continues with the process.

6. Now it'll ask for a username and password. Try these two combinations. Depending on your firmware, one of them will work.

Username: root
    Password: alpine

Username: root
    Password: dottie

7. Now you have full access to your iPhone on your computer using Wi-Fi.

1. In the open window, press up until you cannot go any further.

2. Go to: System -> Library.

3. Open the camera files downloaded.

4. Open all folders until you reach: CoreServices, PrivateFrameworks, VideoDecoders, VideoEncoders.

5. Open CoreServices -> SpringBoard.app and select all files in that folder.

6. Open WinSCP tab, then open CoreServices -> SpringBoard.app then drag and drop the files into that folder.

7. Go Back to camera files, hit back twice then open PrivateFrameworks->Camera.Framework select the files in that folder.

8. Back to WinSCP tab, and hit back twice and open PrivateFrameworks -> Camera.Framework and drag and drop the files into that folder.

9. Back to camera files, hit back twice and open VideoDecoders select those files and drag and drop them into the VideoDecoders folder back in WinSCP.

10. Back to camera files, hit back and open VideoEncoders select those files and drag and drop them into the VideoEncoders folder back in WinSCP.

11. Quit WinSCP [F10]

12. Reboot your iPhone

13. Open your iPhone and you can once again access camera and pictures.
    Last edited by Morich_222; 10-09-2009 at 12:14 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank God for Google search and this thread.....i did not even noticed i had this problem until tonight while trying to launch my pictures on the phone.

Kudos to you for the help fixing my phone. Btw, i use iPhoneBrowser instead of Winscp.

Cheers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi! do you think this will work for the problem of the not opening camera shutter?

discussion of the problem
    Iphone 3g camera is stuck at shutter when I open the camera app

please, help!thank