Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Winterboard theme problems

Default Winterboard theme problems
    1st time jailbreaking and I'm on the 4S...

I've successfully added a few winterboard themes and after I respring each one, I noticed that when I open up a folder on my screen containing apps, the background of the theme disappears to my original wallpaper background instead of the theme.

I've also downloaded two Mario themes by ASL or something off of this website and I have no idea how to install them. I added modmyi to my sources on Cydia.. is there a way I can find the uploads on this site on Cydia so I can just download them to Winterboard because I have no idea what to do after downloading them to my computer

You'll need a way into your file system. iFunbox is what I use when connected to my computer, and to access files directly on your device iFile is invaluable ($4.00 or so on Cydia - but every jailbreaker/ theme user should own it!). You should also have SBSettings installed (on Cydia - we'll use this to reboot).

Once you have file access and SBSettings proceed:

To fix folder backgrounds, go into /var/mobile/Library/Caches and look for "com.apple.Springboard.folderSwitcherLinen" - there should be 4 of these files - delete them. Reboot: open SBSettings by swiping across your status bar clock and hitting Power->Reboot.

To add a theme you've downloaded from MMi, there should be a main folder to your downloaded theme - you want to place this in /var/stash/themes/ of your file system. Open WinterBoard on your device and it should be in the list. WinterBoard works as a hierarchy, meaning whatever files you put at the top of the list overrides those underneath - but only files in the theme with the same name, this way you can combine themes. You may want to become familiar with the way the folders are arranged within the theme - when you're a little more advanced you can combine elements of several different themes to completely customize your device to your liking

Once you've selected your theme in WinterBoard, go [<-]back to the main WinterBoard screen and then hit [Respring]. Your theme should now show.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

dakidbanks (01-23-2012)

Thanks.. I figured out how to add themes.. I have some WinSCP thing as well...

another problem I'm having that I can't fix is that I have a lot of folders on my screen. When I open any folder containing apps, my background wallpaper theme changes to my original wallpaper before the jailbreak. Sometimes the app icons inside the folder appear lower than they should. Another problem is when I'm trying to close my background apps.. usually the background when you double tap the home button at the bottom where the apps running is gray but its like its blackened or something its so hard to explain.

So will deleting those 4 files you said have any lasting effects? What if I decide to go back to my original wallpaper and not a theme?

Simplest fix is to get FolderEnhancer. I had this same problem, but with FolderEnhancer it doesn't do this.
    iSean(:

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srome95 View Post
    Simplest fix is to get FolderEnhancer. I had this same problem, but with FolderEnhancer it doesn't do this.
    +1
    Buy folder enhancer from cydia & you'll fix your problem.

I see it on Cydia but it says its for iOs 4.. I'm on iOs 5 iPhone 4S will it still work?

and deleting those 4 files Jahooba said is the way to go right? It won't cause any effects to my device?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can also use iExplorer instead of iFile cause it's a free download online and it doesn't require Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    You'll need a way into your file system. iFunbox is what I use when connected to my computer, and to access files directly on your device iFile is invaluable ($4.00 or so on Cydia - but every jailbreaker/ theme user should own it!). You should also have SBSettings installed (on Cydia - we'll use this to reboot).

Once you have file access and SBSettings proceed:

To fix folder backgrounds, go into /var/mobile/Library/Caches and look for "com.apple.Springboard.folderSwitcherLinen" - there should be 4 of these files - delete them. Reboot: open SBSettings by swiping across your status bar clock and hitting Power->Reboot.

To add a theme you've downloaded from MMi, there should be a main folder to your downloaded theme - you want to place this in /var/stash/themes/ of your file system. Open WinterBoard on your device and it should be in the list. WinterBoard works as a hierarchy, meaning whatever files you put at the top of the list overrides those underneath - but only files in the theme with the same name, this way you can combine themes. You may want to become familiar with the way the folders are arranged within the theme - when you're a little more advanced you can combine elements of several different themes to completely customize your device to your liking

Once you've selected your theme in WinterBoard, go [<-]back to the main WinterBoard screen and then hit [Respring]. Your theme should now show.
    Tried this and that folder isn't in my var/mobile/Library/Caches.. just com.apple.springboard, com.apple.springboard.newsstand and com.apple.springboard.sharedimagecache

Quote Originally Posted by dakidbanks View Post
    I see it on Cydia but it says its for iOs 4.. I'm on iOs 5 iPhone 4S will it still work?

and deleting those 4 files Jahooba said is the way to go right? It won't cause any effects to my device?
    Yes it will work. I'm currently on 4s with FolderEnhancer , it works just fine . It's for ios5 also just doesn't say it, but it is.
    iSean(:

Here's the problem I have that I can't fix.

The wallpaper background with the Mario mushrooms is the regular wallpaper I had before the jailbreak..... the black background in the opened folder comes from my jailbreak theme that replaced my previous wallpaper and that little box with the colorful Mario background behind Flixter and IMDb apps is the background to my text message convos. I don't know how they all got jumbled together whenever I try to open a folder. I have a pretty cool animated theme I want to keep but it looks ugly how every time I open a folder with apps that my previous wallpaper appears and then my theme and text convo background look mixed together.

Is this a problem with the theme or is this another issue?

Last edited by dakidbanks; 01-25-2012 at 11:00 PM.