Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Theme Design - References, Tips, Knowledge Base

Default iPad Theme Design - References, Tips, Knowledge Base
    With the mad rush of WinterBoard updates over the weekend, I imagine a ton of us want to get working on iPad themes and even updating our previous themes to work on the iPad.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of documentation out there, other than whats included with the SDK for developers, on what is exactly new to the theme process with the iPad, so I've decided to start a thread where we can all post our tips and knowledge on theme design for the iPad. I don't have a ton of information to offer at the moment but I'm hoping the community chips in.

More references can be found here if you have a developers account: https://developer.apple.com/iphone/a...l#gettingready

Wallpaper Size:
    Portrait Size: 1024768px
    Landscape Size: 7681024px
    132dpi resolution. It is important to note the DPI, as this is different that the usual 72dpi we see on our monitors and the iPhone.

Icon Size:
    72 x 72 (Icon)
    48 x 48 (Spotlight)
    512 x 512 (app Store)

Additional Images Used in Apps for the iPad

Default-PortraitUpsideDown.png
    Default-LandscapeLeft.png
    Default-LandscapeRight.png
    Default-Portrait.png
    Default-Landscape.png
    Default.png

Icon Pack For Showing Samples Of Your Theme: by Chris Spooner

I know a lot of you have already tackled this, so please feel free to start adding to this list. Let's get to work!
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 05-08-2010 at 12:33 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't get my icons to stop looking distorted. I have tried 72x72, bigger,smaller all the way up to 128x128 which was not pixelated but the icons were huge. any icon smaller then that didn't come out looking clear. I put 72ppi, 132ppi, and 8 bit rgb to 32 rgb using PS CS4. am I missing something? also, there is annoying little backdrops behind the docked icons. anyone know how to get rid of those?

the distortion is the same as the native iPad icons compared to the iPhone only app icons. there is a slight difference if you look closely.

so will page 1.png, page 2.png ect work still?

This is what i've read on other forums:

"for native & Cydia apps, you need to paste your icons on a 74x76 sized transparent canvas, leaving 1 pixel from the top, 1 pixel from the left and right, and 3 pixels from the bottom for the shadow. This 74x76 composite png then needs to be uploaded into the app folders.

for App Store apps, paste your icon on a 72x72 transparent canvas and fill it. If you leave more than 5 pixels transparent on any side, iPad will fill the transparency with a black border - so make sure the final png has no transparent parts."

Green Apple
    Thanks

icon size 72X72 is a bit to large.

*Look at the Photos icon (located in the dock).

Quote Originally Posted by conchappie View Post
    so will page 1.png, page 2.png ect work still?
    They will work but they will overlap when sliding through screens in landscape mode. Not a big nuisance but I thought I'd let you know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonc12 For This Useful Post:

conchappie (07-27-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonc12 View Post
    They will work but they will overlap when sliding through screens in landscape mode. Not a big nuisance but I thought I'd let you know

Thanks dude