+ Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: I'm new... and I'm lost....!

is a discussion within the

WinterBoard

forums, a part of the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

section;
Ok! So I just "jailbreak"ed my phone! I've install cydia/winterboard I've loaded and viewed about 10 different themes, and I would love to make my own! So I went to
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak? SweetJeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Default I'm new... and I'm lost....!
    Ok!

    So I just "jailbreak"ed my phone! I've install cydia/winterboard

    I've loaded and viewed about 10 different themes, and I would love to make my own!

    So I went to the tutorial and downloaded the images, and changed them all. Just the color, just the basics. I figured once I understood all this a lot better I could really put my creativity to work.

    Well.... I'm stuck.

    I have all the pictures changed but I have no idea what to do next!

    1. The directory noted in the tutorial, is that able to work with a windows pc? It looked like a mac on the tutorial.

    2. Is there any way to get the icons to change them as well! I didn't see any in the images I downloaded and changed.

    3. Is there a way that I can preview it on my computer all set up without installing it on my phone yet. (I really dont wanna mess anything up!)

    I am really sorry. I am sure you are swamped with newbs on a daily basis, but I would love to see my theme in action, and allow the rest of the community to have access to it as well!!

    Sooooo... in theory....you helping me.. could be helping you... bah. Ok thats a long shot I am sure! But it's worth a shot.

    I'll shut up and stop rambling.

    Thank you to those who've read this and respond!

  2. #2
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    1. Ok basically, make a Folder somewhere on your computer, I usually use the Desktop. Name it what you want your theme to show up as, and put all your stuff for your theme in there, in the way the tutorial tells you.

    2. Yeah just make your icon image, name it the same as the application you want to change ie. YouTube.png and put them all in a Folder called Icons.
    eg <THEME FOLDER>\Icons\ <- in there.

    3. I don't know but I would like one too lol.

    Hope that helped.

  3. #3
    Pillages Villages
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 10 Posts

    Hi Jeannie Nice to see another girl here! I'm rather new as well, but I know enough to know that it's completely safe to use Winterboard. If something you put in that directory happens to mess stuff up, just SSH into your phone again, and delete the troublesome folder. Since it doesn't actually overwrite any files on your phone, you never have to worry about causing damage. I hope that helps

    So yeah! Welcome to the community *shameless self-promotion* If you want to check out my theme-in-the-making, click here: Red Ace

    See you around the forums!

    Proserpine

  4. #4
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,686
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

    The best way to get a feel for how Winterboard theme go together....is to download one onto your PC and look through it.

    You can nab one from our downloads section. Once you see it, you'll get the idea, its a matter of sticking the right files (images) in the right folders.

    Afterwards, you will need to SSH into the phone and place the theme inside this folder:

    Applications/Themes

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak? SweetJeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yey! Thank you for your responses. I will try my best to figure out the folder thing.

    The SSH thing... where do I get that.. what is SSH? Where do I get it?

    Lol I heard it mentioned a few places but I was like... "I'll get to that when I figure this part out!!"

  6. #6
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetJeannie View Post
    Yey! Thank you for your responses. I will try my best to figure out the folder thing.

    The SSH thing... where do I get that.. what is SSH? Where do I get it?

    Lol I heard it mentioned a few places but I was like... "I'll get to that when I figure this part out!!"
    SSH let's you access folders in your phone so that you may modify/replace/add anything you'd like.

    1. Make sure to download Open SSH from Cydia.

    2. Then download WinSCP (for PC) HERE.

    3. A guide on how to use WinSCP is located HERE.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneMadness For This Useful Post:

    SweetJeannie (12-31-2008)

  8. #7
    What's Jailbreak? SweetJeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    omg! you guys rock!

    Hopefully tomorrow I will understand all this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Proserpine View Post
    Hi Jeannie Nice to see another girl here! I'm rather new as well, but I know enough to know that it's completely safe to use Winterboard. If something you put in that directory happens to mess stuff up, just SSH into your phone again, and delete the troublesome folder. Since it doesn't actually overwrite any files on your phone, you never have to worry about causing damage. I hope that helps

    So yeah! Welcome to the community *shameless self-promotion* If you want to check out my theme-in-the-making, click here: Red Ace

    See you around the forums!

    Proserpine
    Thank you!

    Your theme is amazing!!Maybe someday I can make one just as detailed! Seriously mines pretty ... unoriginal, just recolored! I figured I'd start with that first. Then I'll move on to more complicated things. Otherwise my brain goes into overload and everything shuts down!
    Last edited by SweetJeannie; 12-31-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to SweetJeannie For This Useful Post:

    Proserpine (12-31-2008)

  10. #8
    Pillages Villages
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetJeannie View Post
    Thank you!

    Your theme is amazing!!Maybe someday I can make one just as detailed! Seriously mines pretty ... unoriginal, just recolored! I figured I'd start with that first. Then I'll move on to more complicated things. Otherwise my brain goes into overload and everything shuts down!
    Thanks for the compliment And I'm sorry if I've discouraged you I didn't mean to be mean, I was just excited. To be fair, I'm almost regretting making my first theme so detailed (not enough to make me stop, though). There is SO much stuff to skin. And all the icons to make! Oh my!

    I can't wait to see your theme! Apple's interface is very nice, so I'm sure your re-colour looks lovely!



    Proserpine

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Proserpine For This Useful Post:

    SweetJeannie (12-31-2008)

  12. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't use SSH anymore, too annoying. Just use DiskAid, its like an explorer browser and it connects through usb. I don't know about you but my wireless can be very tedious some times.
    Tesco iPhone 4 Jailbroken 4.3.3

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoGotTheChunk For This Useful Post:

    SweetJeannie (12-31-2008)

  14. #10
    What's Jailbreak? SweetJeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Proserpine View Post
    Thanks for the compliment And I'm sorry if I've discouraged you I didn't mean to be mean, I was just excited. To be fair, I'm almost regretting making my first theme so detailed (not enough to make me stop, though). There is SO much stuff to skin. And all the icons to make! Oh my!

    I can't wait to see your theme! Apple's interface is very nice, so I'm sure your re-colour looks lovely!



    Proserpine
    No No No! You didn't discourage me!! There is nothing wrong about being excited about your beautiful theme! It is beautiful!



    I decided to go with a very easy first them because I know that I personally would probably get discouraged and quit!! lol.

    Once I see the final results... then I'm going to attempt something more difficult! >:]

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoGotTheChunk View Post
    I don't use SSH anymore, too annoying. Just use DiskAid, its like an explorer browser and it connects through usb. I don't know about you but my wireless can be very tedious some times.
    Do you have alink for this?( NvM I found it! Do I need to have the other program it recommds FileAid? ) I downloaded Open SSH, but I guess I'd need wifi for it... and I dont have it here at work!! So.... I kinda liked the USB thing better anyway.
    Last edited by SweetJeannie; 12-31-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #11
    Pillages Villages
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 10 Posts

    I just downloaded and am using DiskAid, without FileAid, and it's working fine. Wow, thanks Chunk, what a brilliant program!

    Jeannie, do you mind if I add you to my friend's list?

  16. #12
    What's Jailbreak? SweetJeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ok! I'm finishing my icons then to do the folder thingy!

    Hopefully tomorrow i will have more time!

    I added you as a friend too Proserpine!

    Thank you all and have a great New Years!

  17. #13
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yeah as it says tho, be carefull when using root, cause obviously if you mess with files you don't know it could screw the phone.

    Glad I could help, since I've used DiskAid I've deleted WinSCP lol.
    Tesco iPhone 4 Jailbroken 4.3.3

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts