+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Winterboard Memory Usage

is a discussion within the

WinterBoard

forums, a part of the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

section;
Yesterday, I was playing with my wife's stock iPhone 3G and noticed how much faster it was than my jailbroken iPhone 3G. I started doing some research into my phone
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Stimpy5050's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Winterboard Memory Usage
    Yesterday, I was playing with my wife's stock iPhone 3G and noticed how much faster it was than my jailbroken iPhone 3G. I started doing some research into my phone and noticed some disturbing trends with Winterboard. When I had the Winterboard dynamic library loading with Mobile Substrate, even if there were ZERO themes in the Theme directory, SpringBoard's memory usage shot up from 10M to 24M! When I loaded a theme that included dynamic content (weather theme), it continued up to 34M! That's half the available memory just for SpringBoard. After seeing this, I immediately removed Winterboard and went back to the stock theme.

I think saurik's work is absolutely amazing, don't get me wrong. As a programmer, I'm in awe of what he's capable of doing. But this type of memory usage and performance impact seems pretty severe for something like Winterboard.

Has anyone else done this type of research on their phones? Has anyone seen this type of memory usage?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

bump, i'm singin the lack'o'ram blues myself...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stimpy5050's Avatar
    Thanks