Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weather Widget Help...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,521 Times in 1,175 Posts

Default Weather Widget Help...

I'm working on another full screen winterboard theme using the weather widget however I would like to use an icon file that has (2) diff file format exts such as .gif (for animated weather icons) and also .png (for the static weather icons)

Reason being I don't want to animate all the icons only a few, so my question is where and how in the .js file do I edit so it will first search out a .gif and if no .gif exist it will then display the .png?

Here is a snipit of the current .js file...

var iconExtWall = '.png' //'.png'|.'gif' etc.

Thank you for any help...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doreen For This Useful Post:

ToasterBoyOhFour (10-01-2008), Zehlek (10-17-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Doreen, I wish I could help you, but I dont know the answer. All I can say is that I hope someone does, because I would love to have this on my phone. I have the other one you did with the 'Bliss"-like walls from macthemes, and being that I live by the beach, this one would be more appropriate. If you arent able to get the .gifs working, would you mind at least sharing the image set of the static .pngs ?
    Thanks

Edit: just an idea..... .gif can be static also. So possibly convert the .png images to .gif, and use only .gif. I dunno if that would work, or what that would do to the image quality, but it would get rid of the need to use 2 different formats.

Just an idea
    Last edited by Chefanim; 09-23-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

Doreen,

Make all of the icons gifs. Just open them up and resave them as gif files, without added animation. then use gif as your file format.

Thanks

Hi you guys I had already thought of that and tried it but the quality of the static images saved as .gifs goes down toliet. I need to find out how to have the app display the pngs "and" the gifs when one or the other image and format are not avail in the folder.

I'll release this theme when I get that resolved Chefanim however, if I can't get it resolved then I'll go ahead and release the static theme it still looks good when the static images change throughout the day and night but on a sunny day at the beach I want to see the rays of the sun animating...

Thanks

could you use
    var iconExtWall = '.*' //'.png'|.'gif' etc.
    I remember using *.* back in the old DOS days
    I dont know how this stuff works?

Thanks

Nope I just tried that and still no go, Shoot I cannot believe no one has been able to help me out w/ that one line of code (I've been asking all over for two weeks now) *sigh*
    And google has not been my friend either in regards to that, most likely cuz I'm not searching right since I know nothing of java scripting.

If someone can help me out I promise to make the stars twinkle on that beach when it turns to a clear night okay...

Doreen,

You must not be converting the pngs to gifs properly. Why else would your animated images look good but the static ones look bad? That doesnt make any sense.

Thanks

As far as I know there is no way to make a .gif look as good as a .png and I'm willing to sacrifice the clarity alil on the animated gifs but not on the static images therefore I want to have the static images in .png format so they look crisp however, the animated .gifs will not look as crisp no matter what I do since winterboard does not support animated png support (which is .mng) but most ppl will not notice the slight grain since the animation will distract them from even noticing.

Thanks

Sorry Chefanim for the delay, so it seems nobody can help me w/ that script so I'm going to release it now and you can download it from over here:

http://doreen.teknidermy.com/Weather...BeachTheme.zip

I officially released it here: MacThemes Forum / Beach Weather Widget Release

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen For This Useful Post:

Chefanim (09-24-2008)

Thanks

Looks Great Doreen, Ill set it up for myself and apply it tomorrow (I gotta go to bed). I think Ill have to get that 'Lets see' Theme from Cydia.

Only 1 suggestion that I would have would be to make the sand and water darker at night.
    I did 1 to see how it looks.... what do you think?

Thanks again, great work, with or without animation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sunny_night.png  
    Last edited by Chefanim; 09-24-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks

I like it! you did a great job on that, I thought about that but my laziness over powered me and some of the weather images display for both night and day such as the fog etc.

but the clear night one obviously only displays in the evening, I'll have to update that, let me know how you like it when you use it over the course of a day, I have yet to see how it looks w/ rain or lightning since I live in California.

Thanks

Glad you like. Here is the darkened beach, you can just paste it over the night images.

Now this time Im really going to bed Ill post some screenshots tomorrow. I have an Idea for a dock, I want to see how it looks.

Thanks again.

Also, I live in Florida, and our forcast calls for a beautiful week, so I dont think Ill get to see all the images soon either
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -beach-only.png  
    Last edited by Chefanim; 09-24-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks

Atleast you guys sometimes get rain. hehe!

Feel free to post anything to this theme, I'd like to see your dock I forgot to add my Shell, Seahorse, Map and Crab for the bottom icons, I'll update it again later on tonight...
    Last edited by Doreen; 09-24-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Fantastic! Really incredible! Thank you!

Now I just have to figure out why it's not working correctly in WinterBoard

Okay, I can use a little help here...

I'm currently using the "Illuminous" theme with a custom wallpaper because I like the icons with this theme. So, how am I able to use this awesome Beach theme and still use the icons I like?

If I turn both the Illuminuous theme and Beach theme on, that doesn't work. If I turn Illuminous off, that doesn't work either!

Can someone give me a step-by-step with my situation so I can use the Beach theme with the Illuminous icons?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Adrenaline68; 09-25-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You can use your icon sets by two ways:

1. Go into Winterboard and tap and slide the Beach theme on top of your other theme so it loads the Beach Weather theme first then searches your second theme for the icons.

or

2. Place the entire Icon folder into my WinterBoard Beach theme folder and then respring.

Note: you will still need to make one transparent icon (preferably the weather app) and place that on your weather page to make it stick then set up all your other pages/screens w/ your other icons as you would normally. If you use the "Lets See" winterboard theme then you don't need to since you will be able to see through all your icons on all your pages.
    Last edited by Doreen; 09-25-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks Doreen! I did #1.

Now, the other small issue I'm having is that I would like to use the "StatusBar_Tiny.css" so I have the weather in the Status Bar instead of on the theme like you have it (sorry!).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline68 View Post
    Thanks Doreen! I did #1.

Now, the other small issue I'm having is that I would like to use the "StatusBar_Tiny.css" so I have the weather in the Status Bar instead of on the theme like you have it (sorry!).
    Copy the text parts of the StatusBar_Tiny.css, and replace the ones in the .css that Doreen is using, then you should get the text on the statusbar and the weather icons as the wallpaper

Ok, got that part working correctly, but now my Winterboard fonts are not white anymore!

Fixed! Just edited the info.plist
    Last edited by Adrenaline68; 09-25-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks

I dont know If I can help with that one. What color are they now? and is it just the weather or all the text?

Doreen:

What do you think? A rustic table dock, and a Corona'd iPhone

Icons thanks to Stereo's Leopard Theme will a little mod by me.

Last edited by Chefanim; 09-25-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Chefanim For This Useful Post:

ToasterBoyOhFour (10-01-2008)

Thanks

Love that wooden table dock! can I have that? I was thinking what can I use as a dock drift wood, seaweed, rocks and then I never did one. hehe

Also I took your advise and darkened all the night time images, I will be updating it in a few mins I'm almost done...
    Last edited by Doreen; 09-25-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast