+ Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to make your own winterboard theme Tutorial

is a discussion within the

WinterBoard

forums, a part of the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

section;
I would be interested to hear what others, who know more than I, have to say (saurik who created winterboard maybe ) As I understand it, you can't just swap
    Thanks

I would be interested to hear what others, who know more than I, have to say (saurik who created winterboard maybe ) As I understand it, you can't just swap a .png file for this because it is possible within the code to set a hard coded background color and that is what the SB has. What the apps do is run interference between what the SB app displays to put a layer between it and what we eventually see on our phones. Thus, how we get the wallpaper solution.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know exactly his to change the lock screen background and keypad. I just got my phone to get themes on it and everything last night so I am pretty new to this whole thing. My coworker had it so where you touched a grey circle orb and a finger appeared and then the keypad came up to unlock the phone. Anyone know how I can customize that part of the phone? Thanks for your help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can u guys help me make a new theme!
    i dunno how!
    i have 1st release iphone 8gb with 1.1.3

iPhone? More like MyPhone dillonsmith9147's Avatar
    Thanks

how can you edit or view plist files on windows

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tblueboy View Post
    Does anyone know exactly his to change the lock screen background and keypad. I just got my phone to get themes on it and everything last night so I am pretty new to this whole thing. My coworker had it so where you touched a grey circle orb and a finger appeared and then the keypad came up to unlock the phone. Anyone know how I can customize that part of the phone? Thanks for your help!
    to set a photo to the locked screen.

sync the image to your phone through itunes, Make sure the size is 320x480.

open photos on your phone and you should see your image
    press the image
    press the image in the lower left corner
    press the "Use As Wallpaper" button

your done

if you want the lock screen to match the springboard you can use winterboard.
    Last edited by opusandbill; 08-15-2008 at 08:12 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

background picture for the springboard:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SBDockBG2.png

Quote Originally Posted by kordaemon View Post
    Hey I have literally been searching everywhere, all different popular ipod touch/iphone forums to find the answer to one seemingly simple, yet frustratingly complicating question.

Where can you find the background picture file of the springboard?

I've been trying to change the background picture manually instead of using winterboard for a long time. I've been pointed to the Other.artwork file, I have extracted the pictures out of it, (mind you I am on 2.0.1) and the closest thing that looks like a background picture was the others-393.png file, but oddly the picture's dimensions was a bit off, but i decided to replace it nonetheless. I repacked the Other.artwork file and replaced the one in the ipod. The effect, it didn't change the springboard's background picture and if it changed something else, i've yet to find out.
    So I ask this forum, where do you find the file that you modify to change the springboard's background image. Or if there is any other way of changing it other than using winterboard or some theming application, what is it? Thanks for those who choose to answer.

Thanks

The file (/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SBDockBG2.png )listed above is for the dock image it is not the wallpaper behind the springboard.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

er your right, my bad!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

does anyone know how to extract pngs from international keyboarda? they used to be in the same UIKitframework folder, but now all i can find is a foler called /system/library/textinput/ or something like that. i want the files for the japanese keyboard and i see a textinput_ja inside that folder and within that is a textinput_ja.artwork, but i dont know how to extract it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm having problems creating a true RGBA PNG file using Photoshop. I am using an empty layer as background. I have tried "Save For Web & Devices" and "Save as", "transparency" is checked and "interlaced" is not.

I know the PNGs are transparent because I can look at them and they are transparent but they just won't load in my theme. Everything else loads just not my Other.artwork PNGs.

Using:
    mytheme/Folders/UIKit.framework/other-107.png
    and
    mytheme/UIImages/other-107.png

Photoshop CS3, OS X

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gonano View Post
    I'm having problems creating a true RGBA PNG file using Photoshop. I am using an empty layer as background. I have tried "Save For Web & Devices" and "Save as", "transparency" is checked and "interlaced" is not.

I know the PNGs are transparent because I can look at them and they are transparent but they just won't load in my theme. Everything else loads just not my Other.artwork PNGs.

Using:
    mytheme/Folders/UIKit.framework/other-107.png
    and
    mytheme/UIImages/other-107.png

Photoshop CS3, OS X
    one thing I noticed is that when skinning with winterboard you have to use the actual name of the file.

you have to use the file I posted in my first post.

read this (all credit goes to Saurik)

Cached .artwork Themes
    Finally, the most complex example of image-based themes I've so far seen has to do with .artwork files. These files exist as loading lots of small .png files from disk can be irritatingly time consuming, so instead they are loaded as block and stored (I believe) in a shared memory cache. As these tiny graphics are often used to build all aspects of the interface these represent the ultia thule of iPhone theming.
    Messing with them, though, is currently really hard: you have to use special tools to unpack the files and all you get out of them are a bunch of numerically-named png files (.artwork files don't have filenames in them). You then have to carefully make new images of the same size and rebuild the complete .artwork file, which then has to be installed on the phone with a rickety package that attempts to backup and restore the original. Yeek!
    After I heard about this, I set out to fix this with WinterBoard: I want theming to be a fun, safe experience that can be taken up by anybody without special tools. To do this I first analyzed how .artwork files worked, and lo and behold there actually are filenames that go with all of those png files people were compressing (already this makes the task a million times easier.

example:

Thanks
    Any ideas on how to get Wallpaper.mp4 to loop once it has finished its first cycle?

Thanks in advance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did mine a bit diferently than this one but this tutorial helped out a lot Thank you

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know how to do sound modifications like SMS messages etc?
    I've tried using Folders/UISounds/alarm.caf but this doesn't seem to work.

thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fm2503 View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to do sound modifications like SMS messages etc?
    I've tried using Folders/UISounds/alarm.caf but this doesn't seem to work.

thanks

this is from Sauriks blog:
    Sound Themes - A bunch of system sounds are stored in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/. If you create a folder in your theme called UISounds/ you will be able to theme these (provided you also can provide .caf files). Support for other formats may be forthcoming.

Also you will need to update winterboard in order to change sounds.

I will be adding a how-to to the 1st post
    Last edited by opusandbill; 08-19-2008 at 07:39 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys.

Here's a question for you:

What's the name of the UIImages file for the gray background of the settings ?

Also what is the name of the file of the bottom black navigation bar that shows up in apps like Cydia ?

Thanks a lot. Oh and by the way, if you know a website that has a way to find out the uiimages files you need easily, I would love to know it. It's always a drag trying to find out what's the name of the image you want to change.

Thanks again

Alp
    Last edited by alptkz; 08-20-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alptkz View Post
    Hi guys.

Here's a question for you:

What's the name of the UIImages file for the gray background of the settings ?

Also what is the name of the file of the bottom black navigation bar that shows up in apps like Cydia ?

Thanks a lot. Oh and by the way, if you know a website that has a way to find out the uiimages files you need easily, I would love to know it. It's always a drag trying to find out what's the name of the image you want to change.

Thanks again

Alp
    the background for settings (as well as other apps) is called "UIPinstripe.png".

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks a bunch

Here's another question: anyone knows how to change the text color of the Safari webpage title ? If that's not clear enough, I mean the text you see at the top of Safari that tells you the title of the website you're visiting.

Thanks again
    Last edited by alptkz; 08-20-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks

nevermind

Thanks

As far as I know, to put Keyboard-Latin.artwork and Keyboard-Common.artwork in WinterBoard is by renaming their pngs to "kb-XXXXXX.png" and put them all into UIImages folder..

Now here's a question..How do I put 'TextInput_ko.artwork'(artwork for korean keyboard) in WinterBoard?What name do I have to rename those images within TextInput_ko.artwork to?

Here is the images within TextInput_ko.artwork-->DOWNLOAD
    Last edited by katak; 08-22-2008 at 04:32 AM.
    my username is katak but I go by [wear]!

MacBook Air Keyboard
    MacBook Black Keyboard
    Mac UI