+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: (How to) Edit other.artwork, and font colors with Winterboard (2.0 firmware)

is a discussion within the

WinterBoard

forums, a part of the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

section;
(I posted this on ipodtouchfans n will post it here because I know users here have been curious how to do this) First off propz to Saurik for the quality
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation (How to) Edit other.artwork, and font colors with Winterboard (2.0 firmware)
    (I posted this on ipodtouchfans n will post it here because I know users here have been curious how to do this)

First off propz to Saurik for the quality release, loving the fact that every few hours I open Cydia im findin that winteboard is being actively worked on, n it keeps gettin better, lookin forward to an implementation of a proper GUI in the near future, but for the meantime, its made warming into 2.0 alot more pleasant given the fact that im gettin my pre 1.1.4 update customization back on 2.0.

Last night I was browsing the forum n i came across a post that got into the whole process of how to edit the other.artwork using winterboard, and in the information tab in Cydia Saurik said information on this would be released soon in the more info section, although that hasnt been updated. What I found is if you navigate to *UPDATED* /Library/Themes/com.Saurik with your SSH client, and open the info.plist you will get something like this (ive attached what each string does): (UPDATED)

<key>NavigationBarStyle</key>
    <string>2</string>

--Controls the other.artwork, string value 0 ( Blue bar) , value 1 ( black bar), value 2 (transparent) these changes can be seen if you open your prefrences on the spring board where it says settings on the top, depending on the string value, other.artwork will be changed. If 2 is set, you will be able to see your background behidn the settings text.

<key>UndockedIconLabelStyle</key>
    <string>font-family: monospace; font-size: 13px; color: white</string>

-- Changing the text after color alters the springboard icons to any color, if you come up with any other variations other then red, blue, black, red, white, green, purple, orange or pink let me know (transparent also works for no text btw)
    After font-family: just insert any font in your font cache with its name, n it will be used, to not use a custom font all together, delete that line all the way up to the beginning of color so the string looks like this <string> color: white</string>

<key>DockedIconLabelStyle</key>
    <string>font-family: hell; font-size: 13px; color: burlywood</string>

-- This changes the icon labels of the dock text, same type of thing as explained above, do note parts or entire lines can be removed to cater towards what u want to do with your plist.

<key>TimeStyle</key>
    <string>font-family: monospace; font-size: 16px; color: black</string>

--This is for the clock in the status bar you can set the font type, font size and even font color.

for all color possibilitys check here: http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_colornames.asp

So all you have to essentially do, is copy the info.plist from Library/Themes/Saurik, to your other theme folders for instance (/Library/Themes/PlainJainDim) and use it as a template which you can edit to cater towards your font color and custom artwork preferences. Save Changes, and apply through winterboard, n your good to go!

I searched the forum n saw that this wasn't posted, so if it was, mind me, but just sharing the knowledge for those who weren't aware of this, enjoy

A screenshot of my Badge White Embossed Dock Edition theme, with font text in black for the dock is attached below

***For Those having problems applying styling to there themes, MAKE SURE you are using the updated info.plist located in the Saurik theme directory as to it having updated labels for elements, if your applying an old info.plist to the newer winterboard update, styling will not happen, hope that helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (How to) Edit other.artwork, and font colors with Winterboard (2.0 firmware)-img_0003.jpg  
    Last edited by fha11; 08-05-2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: To compliment winterboard Update

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fha11 For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (08-04-2008), dellmelo (08-04-2008), funpak7 (09-08-2008), hartphoto (08-09-2008), Jah (08-04-2008), kainisable (08-10-2008), LastSonOfKrypton (03-16-2009), lostgame (08-05-2008), Niner1000RR (08-05-2008), oldskoolkid13 (02-12-2009), opusandbill (08-14-2008), stereo313 (08-04-2008), Talynrider (08-10-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks A LOT!
    white icon text is a lot better then grey.

now I can finish my theme.

edit: camera and gmail icon made by me

Last edited by dellmelo; 08-04-2008 at 12:12 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

thanks for the post, good info.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

dude awesome!... ive been looking for a way to get rid of the text under the icons and just opening the info.plist file, changing the words white and burlywood to transparent, and putting another copy of the info.plist file into my theme folder worked perfect!.. man that was easy.

i no longer need Summerboard ... all i needed it for was to change my springboard background and get rid of the icon text and now winterboard has let me do both

so much cleaner looking!

one quick question...

first i figured out default winterboard had the navigation bar as black, that threw me off for a min till i changed the value back to zero for blue.

but small detail, the time font on the very top changed from stock, what do you put in to change that back?

heres the string..

<key>TimeStyle</key>
    <string>font-family: monospace; font-size: 16px</string>

edit - nm i just deleted the string for that all together and my clock went back to stock. man winterboard is easy to use
    Last edited by stylin97; 08-04-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

thanks a lot.it was killing me to have that text on there.also in my info.plst color was mispelled it was oolor it was only in the dockedicon part after i changed to color it worked fine.

what are some other font names that look good i dont like the stock winterboard text for clock looks like a typewriter?would you put it in the dock text part?

Last edited by stereo313; 08-04-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    THANK OR DIE

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

stereo313,

try Helvetica.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dellmelo For This Useful Post:

stereo313 (08-04-2008)

Thanks

thanks. i don't think it worked il try it later.
    THANK OR DIE

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereo313 View Post
    thanks a lot.it was killing me to have that text on there.also in my info.plst color was mispelled it was oolor it was only in the dockedicon part after i changed to color it worked fine.

what are some other font names that look good i dont like the stock winterboard text for clock looks like a typewriter?would you put it in the dock text part?

Would you be so kind and share your info.plist because I see that the black label of the app store apps is gone and I would like to have it in the same way but with the name of the icons.

Kind regards, Tommy

Thanks

the info.plist does not fix that. U have to mod app

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Stereo313

Ahh, OK. And where can I find the description to get that fixed.

Kind regards from Germany
    Tommy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm...editing the info.plist doesn't seem to be working for me anymore (at least editing the colors, which is all i want). Initially it worked and I had transparent labels for my dock and white labels for the other icons. Now it's back to the default colors. I even tried applying the "Nature" theme and the colors don't work on that anymore either. I do know that I recently updated Winterboard an hour or so ago (now on 0.9.2503-1)

Is anyone else not getting the "color' edit to work anymore?

Thanks

make sure it says color not oolor in the plist.mine said oolor.i changed it to color and they are now tranparent
    THANK OR DIE

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereo313 View Post
    make sure it says color not oolor in the plist.mine said oolor.i changed it to color and they are now tranparent
    Yeah, mine says "color". It was working perfectly fine. I think it stopped working either after I updated Winterboard or after I added the "UIImages" directory and put the AppIconOverlay.png and AppIconShadow in there. I've since deleted the UIImages directory and have copied over the info.plist file several different times and have rebooted my phone but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.

I guess the next step would be to remove Winterboard completely and then install it again. I'll probably just deal with it and remove and reinstall when Winpwn is available for 2.0.1.

Thanks for the response.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its because the plist labels were changed with the update, edit your existing plist thats in your desired theme folder, and edit and paste over it with this plist n see if it works for you.. If it does, just use it as a template to mess with the colors, fonts, and font sizes. Hope this helped

(Copy exactly everything after this line) ::

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0"><dict>

<string>1</string>

<string>color: white</string>

</dict></plist>
    Last edited by fha11; 08-04-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fha11 For This Useful Post:

minoba82 (08-04-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fha11 View Post
    Its because the plist labels were changed with the update, edit your existing plist thats in your desired theme folder, and edit and paste over it with this plist n see if it works for you.. If it does, just use it as a template to mess with the colors, fonts, and font sizes. Hope this helped

(Copy exactly everything after this line) ::

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0"><dict>

<string>1</string>

</dict></plist>
    Thanks...that did it. Yeah, I was using the original one that was in the "Nature" theme as a template. I guess I didn't realize that the labels had changed.

Thanks again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Last edited by bdjuf; 11-09-2013 at 01:51 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Stereo...

Any chance to get a description or manual how I can remove the layer from the App Store icons? Thats the last thing I miss. Thanks in advance for your help, if...

Regards, Tommy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdjuf View Post
    I was able to make the fonts transparent for most of my icons,
    but the 4 at the bottom, they aren't transparent yet, even though I changed both settings to transparent.

any ideas?

when you open the plist to change it make sure that for the "DockedIconLabelStyle" it says color and not oolor, this happened to me and the dock would not change. Simply change oolor to color and it should work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thread has been updated, check back on first post, before posting any problems with customization, enjoy!

Thanks
    fha11,

Thanks, I've been looking for this.. And it's so easy, even I can do it!