+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: winterboard / summerboard

is a discussion within the

WinterBoard

forums, a part of the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

section;
Saurik, Never mind, I was being stupid before copying the wrong battery images, it works perfect now using your solution Bundle/com. etc.. And you're right, it's a very clean and
    Thanks
    Saurik,

Never mind, I was being stupid before copying the wrong battery images, it works perfect now using your solution Bundle/com. etc..
    And you're right, it's a very clean and clear method, thumbs up for you guys!

You wrote that you're all working on the backend now, that figures, just would like to know if there's a workaround to set the labels on/off.

Good luck and respect!

zoblue,

I don't think you did anything wrong, I noticed the same thing with the icons of AppStore apps. These are the same icons that show an x-mark when moving icons around. It doesn't effect every themeset though, I think that it depends on the graphical format of the icons, but we should ask a developer about that.

You can put your statusbar in Library/Themes/<your theme>/Bundles/com.apple.springboard/FSO_BG.png. Or use your Summerboard file called StatusBar.png and put it in Library/Themes/<your theme>/StatusBar.png
    Respring and you're ready to go.
    Last edited by stelmax; 08-03-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stelmax For This Useful Post:

zoblue (08-04-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone 808mp5's Avatar
    Thanks

I used the old version of iphoneBrowser

Winterboard themes are in
    Private/var/stash/themes.ltulx2
    Or
    Private/var/mobile/library/summerboard/themes

I created my own icons and dock put it in the first directory with iphonebrowser and my theme showed up in winterboard

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 808mp5 For This Useful Post:

zap1027 (08-05-2008)

Thanks
    stelmax, thanks! I'm curious too about those icons.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

saurik-

Thanks so much for this absolute genius design that's going to completely revolutionize iPhone theming!

Question: Is .artwork theming currently supposed to work? I've tried putting my dialer in this path:

/Library/Themes/Daves/Bundles/com.apple.mobilephone/MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork

and it doesn't take. The unpacked art works fine in that same folder. (/Library/Themes/Daves/Bundles/com.apple.mobilephone/callbkgnd_pressed.png for example)

The file's OK, as I can manually replace it in the Mobile Phone.app and have it work.

Using version: 0.9.2501-3

Developer
    Thanks

Default how to theme .artwork files
    The way .artwork files are found and loaded entirely bypasses the Objective-C loading mechanisms that I hook. What's awesome about WinterBoard, though, is it makes modifying .artwork files a thing of the past: you use UIImages/ now to theme the individual files from the .artwork file you want to theme /by name/ (yes, I figured out those files have names). Read the documentation on WinterBoard I just put up for all the details on how to use this: iPhone Themes Beyond SummerBoard - Jay Freeman (saurik).

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    saurik-

Thanks so much for this absolute genius design that's going to completely revolutionize iPhone theming!

Question: Is .artwork theming currently supposed to work? I've tried putting my dialer in this path:

/Library/Themes/Daves/Bundles/com.apple.mobilephone/MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork

and it doesn't take. The unpacked art works fine in that same folder. (/Library/Themes/Daves/Bundles/com.apple.mobilephone/callbkgnd_pressed.png for example)

The file's OK, as I can manually replace it in the Mobile Phone.app and have it work.

Using version: 0.9.2501-3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

zoblue (08-04-2008)

Thanks

This is really very, very exciting. I have only one concern relating to where app skins go. In the present scenario, the theme determines what bundles get modified. So if I have many themes and I would like say my battery to look constant, I would have to install the battery into each and every theme. I'd like to suggest to have a Bundles theme that is globally applied. Icon themes should be handled as they are now and still may contain bundles mods (they would override the global Bundles entries).
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Green Apple
    Thanks

Do any of the Summerboard themes in Cydia work on Winterboard?

EDIT: Answer: yes they do
    Last edited by DoubleD; 08-04-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Always remember that you are unique....just like everyone else.

Thanks

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm not understanding the specifics of how that works with the scenario I presented: (/Applications/MobilePhone.app/MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork).

How do I get the list of names for that package? And once I have it, do I create a new folder for just that .artwork, or do I put it in the /Library/Themes/Daves/Bundles/com.apple.mobilephone directory?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    The way .artwork files are found and loaded entirely bypasses the Objective-C loading mechanisms that I hook. What's awesome about WinterBoard, though, is it makes modifying .artwork files a thing of the past: you use UIImages/ now to theme the individual files from the .artwork file you want to theme /by name/ (yes, I figured out those files have names). Read the documentation on WinterBoard I just put up for all the details on how to use this: iPhone Themes Beyond SummerBoard - Jay Freeman (saurik).

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    This is really very, very exciting. I have only one concern relating to where app skins go. In the present scenario, the theme determines what bundles get modified. So if I have many themes and I would like say my battery to look constant, I would have to install the battery into each and every theme. I'd like to suggest to have a Bundles theme that is globally applied. Icon themes should be handled as they are now and still may contain bundles mods (they would override the global Bundles entries).
    Well, then you couldn't have multiple battery themes easily installed. The WinterBoard solution for this is going to be to give you checkboxes next to themes that are installed and let you select which ones are or are not active. That way you might have "ModMyI's WinterBoard Icon Theme" checked, as well as "Buuf2" (which doesn't theme WinterBoard"), as well as "NOS Batteries" (to theme your icons), as well as "Chromium Sliders". I think its going to be quite awesome of a way to conceptualize the problem.

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm not understanding the specifics of how that works with the scenario I presented: (/Applications/MobilePhone.app/MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork).

How do I get the list of names for that package? And once I have it, do I create a new folder for just that .artwork, or do I put it in the /Library/Themes/Daves/Bundles/com.apple.mobilephone directory?

Thanks.
    My website has A) a list of names of the filenames, B) instructions on how to extract all those files so you can look at them, and C) tells you exactly where to put them (UIImages/<imagename>.png). Did you not read it?
    Last edited by saurik; 08-04-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

opusandbill (08-04-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

@Saurik

With Winterboard installed, I can no longer change my dock image with customize. I have tried uninstalling winterboard, but the dock image is stuck. Only way to change it is with another winterboard theme. Sometimes I like to see how different docks work with whatever wallpaper im using. Do you know how to fix this?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Winter ownz...

anyone know how i can submit themes to Winterborad
    Last edited by ellicit; 08-04-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -iP3G RebelSIM -Tmo
    -iFone 2nd Gen - 2.0 - Tmo
    -iMac 24" running WinXP Pro
    -Black Berry Pearl
    -HTC Tilt unlocked WM6.1

Thanks

Well, then you couldn't have multiple battery themes easily installed. The WinterBoard solution for this is going to be to give you checkboxes next to themes that are installed and let you select which ones are or are not active. That way you might have "ModMyI's WinterBoard Icon Theme" checked, as well as "Buuf2" (which doesn't theme WinterBoard"), as well as "NOS Batteries" (to theme your icons), as well as "Chromium Sliders". I think its going to be quite awesome of a way to conceptualize the problem.

My website has A) a list of names of the filenames, B) instructions on how to extract all those files so you can look at them, and C) tells you exactly where to put them (UIImages/<imagename>.png). Did you not read it?
    I read it in full, twice, but obviously, I'm missing something.

- the list of names don't seem to correspond to names I expect
    - when I run (either as mobile or root), /Applications/WinterBoard.app/UIImages , I immediately get the response "Killed"
    - I also didn't understand that UIImages is supposed to include ALL .artwork from every application since there are many of those files scattered around the phone

Sorry, I normally don't have a problem following instructions, but I'm just not getting it.

Thanks

Well, then you couldn't have multiple battery themes easily installed. The WinterBoard solution for this is going to be to give you checkboxes next to themes that are installed and let you select which ones are or are not active. That way you might have "ModMyI's WinterBoard Icon Theme" checked, as well as "Buuf2" (which doesn't theme WinterBoard"), as well as "NOS Batteries" (to theme your icons), as well as "Chromium Sliders". I think its going to be quite awesome of a way to conceptualize the problem.(
    Fair enough. But you are setting yourself up to some heavy checking. For example, one theme may contain Icons and Bundles with battery. Another dedicated battery theme may have just a battery and no icons and yet another theme has only icons. So what takes precedence? This may very easily turn out to be a UI nightmare, because you don't know what exactly is buried in any one theme.

May be a better approach would be to keep themes as icons themes and have com.whatever themes that themselves contain only skins for that particular app. You could have similar theme names in there. This would be somewhat similar to Customize, but not at the image level (it would essentially be an app theme).
    Come visit AlohaSoft

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cocchiararo's Avatar
    Thanks

oooooooook

i installed this and it worked fine (i just wanted a default theme with a transparent dock image, so i downloaded the default theme, copied and renamed it, and added a dock.png to it).

i changed to it, then to the winterboard provided theme, then to default, and finally back to my "custom" theme.

later i noticed that my Ipod APP says i have NO music, and i have been unable to restore music to my iphone since (its there, but its not seen, i tried deleting and re syncing it, and i even deleted the itunes_control folder, messed with permisions, etc).

any thought? now i uninstalled winterboard and im rebooting my iphone.

EDIT:
    ok, didnt help
    Last edited by Cocchiararo; 08-04-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Developer
    Thanks

Default WinterBoard/Customize Dock Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefanim View Post
    @Saurik

With Winterboard installed, I can no longer change my dock image with customize. I have tried uninstalling winterboard, but the dock image is stuck. Only way to change it is with another winterboard theme. Sometimes I like to see how different docks work with whatever wallpaper im using. Do you know how to fix this?
    WinterBoard hooks well before customize can affect things, as I believe Customize is actually changing the files on disk. You need to use a theme in winterboard that doesn't have a dock so you can see through to the one that customize has replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Fair enough. But you are setting yourself up to some heavy checking. For example, one theme may contain Icons and Bundles with battery. Another dedicated battery theme may have just a battery and no icons and yet another theme has only icons. So what takes precedence? This may very easily turn out to be a UI nightmare, because you don't know what exactly is buried in any one theme.

May be a better approach would be to keep themes as icons themes and have com.whatever themes that themselves contain only skins for that particular app. You could have similar theme names in there. This would be somewhat similar to Customize, but not at the image level (it would essentially be an app theme).
    I figured an end-game version of this interface would be to drag the themes around and provide a precendence order. I don't like the idea of saying "icon themes" and "battery themes" as personally I think its a good idea to be able to get some merged theme sets. Example: I don't do the whole "entire system is themed" thing. Instead I tend to like little subtle modifications. A better icon for that, a better battery for this. I think it would be good to have like 7 icon themes active (theming different stuff) and a few different forms of ui themes.

I really really want the "drag the order of themes" interface rather than the "select a theme for each of these different things". Its also semantically cleaner, as otherwise we have to determine what those categories of themes are, and WinterBoard is really too powerful: you'd have a million categories.

I read it in full, twice, but obviously, I'm missing something.

- the list of names don't seem to correspond to names I expect
    - when I run (either as mobile or root), /Applications/WinterBoard.app/UIImages , I immediately get the response "Killed"
    - I also didn't understand that UIImages is supposed to include ALL .artwork from every application since there are many of those files scattered around the phone

Sorry, I normally don't have a problem following instructions, but I'm just not getting it.
    Yeah, the names are stuff people haven't seen before. Everyone was using numerical offsets and indices into the artwork files. (Like, I'm not even certain where the names come from yet, I just know that it loads the .artwork files into a massive dictionary of CGImageRefs that have names and the rest of the code looks stuff up by these names.)

You weren't using the latest copy of WinterBoard. I had a version up for a couple hours that had an unsigned UIImages binary (you can sign it by doing apt-get install ldid; ldid -S /Applications/WinterBoard.app/UIImages), but I am rather sure I fixed that before I responded to your post.

The way I currently can tell these artwork files work is you just initialize the entire lot of them and they are all loaded. If you can't find the images you want in that set then I will look into it further: I definitely want you to be able to customize anything on the phone ;P.
    Last edited by saurik; 08-04-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

Chefanim (08-05-2008), stereo313 (08-04-2008), Tron1c (08-04-2008), WingHack (08-17-2008)

Thanks

thanks man cydia and winterboard rock.question is there a way to leave appstore apps in there original folders and make the icon bigger then stock?to get them working i had to manualy load apps to applications folder, set permisions, add 2 documents folders and add blank AppIconShadow.png and AppIconOverlay.png file to winterboard theme.so far this is the only way that i have been able to have larger icon without the apps crashing.so far all is good i have restarted a few times and synced with itunes im still on itunes7.7.0.43.the only problem is that the apps won't update any more.

any help much appricated

first page offical and 3rd party cydia apps second page appstore apps
    Last edited by stereo313; 08-04-2008 at 09:13 PM.
    THANK OR DIE

Thanks

stereo, I NEED. This theme for 2.0 on winterboard, could u submit it to cydia, or link to a download that I can put on winterboard.

Much appreciated

Developer
    Thanks

Can you verify that this isn't fixed in the latest version? I changed how AppStore apps are rendered by default to not do the image raping (so you shouldn't need to mess with those AppIcon*.png files).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

stereo313 (08-04-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickswagger View Post
    stereo, I NEED. This theme for 2.0 on winterboard, could u submit it to cydia, or link to a download that I can put on winterboard.

Much appreciated
    nevermind.the update work fine SO FAR with appstore apps

SAURIK u fn rock

put icons from appstore icons folder into icons folder
    stereos leopard 4.0.rar - 2.54MB
    Last edited by stereo313; 08-04-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    THANK OR DIE

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me if they also have a conflict using winterboard with installed customized keyboard (Hebrew). Installing winterboard after installing the hebrew keyboard (Hebrewkeyboard in Cydia) or installing the hebrew keyboard after winterboard both result in bricking the iphone (stuck on reboot but gets detected by iTunes and syncs). I tried it a few times rebooting between each install, still the same result. Could anyone help me? Thanks.