+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to start iPhone listener

is a discussion within the

Windows Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
Hi everyone. I recently erased something on my iPhone and found a guide here on how to fix it using the ssh and doing a data dump. The problem is
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Unable to start iPhone listener
    Hi everyone. I recently erased something on my iPhone and found a guide here on how to fix it using the ssh and doing a data dump. The problem is that I need to use iExplorer or iPhone Browser to copy the MobileTerminal app to the phone. The one in Cydia seems to be a newer version but it crashes a lot.

Everytime I open iExplorer though, I got an error that says that it can't start the iPhone Listener and that it can't load iTunesMobileDevice.dll. I've completely uninstalled itunes and reinstalled it and it still happens. I'm not sure what to do now. I've tried copying the dll to the exact folder where iExplorer is and it still doesn't work.

I've concluded that it is a system wide problem though, because I've tried two other programs (iPhone browser and Phone Disk) to get to the iPhon's directories and I got the same error.

I have the iPhone 4S running 5.1.1 Jailbroken firmware. I have Windows 7 Home 64-bit. Am I just SoL.

Some other notes:
    I am using an SSH server on my computer called mobaSSH and I have installed cygwin in order to have the DD function available.

I hope I'm on the right track.

But has anyone found a way to solve this problem? Thanks

Another note: Yesterday is the first time I've ever done any type of modding with the iPhone, so I'm kind of new to this.
    I used this guide here to try and do the data dump.
    HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone Terminal commands aren't working
    Hi again. Sorry for making this another post, but I've hit another dead end. I realized that iExplorer works just fine on my laptop so I was able to get the MobileTerminal to my phone. (yay) The problem now is that some commands such as ping don't work. It simply says "ping command not found" Do I need the BSD to do this? I have Cydia and I thought there was something like BSD in that. I also tried doing the dd command and I get a connect to port 22 timed out error. I'm not sure if this is because connected the right way (I think I do though because I can ping the iPhone from the computer through cygwin) or maybe the computer doesn't have the DD utility even though I thought it should since I have cygwin.

I'm almost at a loss here. I've been working at this for over 18 hours and still can't figure out what's going wrong. Is this method really the ONLY way to get a data dump?? Geez!

Thanks. Any advice given is much appreciated.

EDIT: I just realized that my first post didn't show up so here's the basics of what I did so far.

Firstly, I'm following this guide here.

I jailbroke my phone which is a 4S running 5.1.1. It came with Cydia so I don't think I need BSD system tools. I'm using Windows for my computer because I don't really want to get an entire OS just to do this. I have something called MobaSSH server for windows. I also am using cygwin. I think that should have dd capabilities. I think that's about it.

Again, thanks.
    Last edited by Dreamcube017; 06-30-2012 at 10:15 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok so now it appears that my post disappeared again...if it so happens that it reappears later, then sorry for double posting.

This is actually my THIRD POST because of whatever's happening. Anyway...

I've spent the last 18 hours trying to do a data dump following this thread.

I don't feel like getting a totally new OS (Linux) just to do this, so I've installed cygwin for the DD utility and a program called mobaSHH for an ssh server.

I'm using an iPhone 4S with 5.1.1 software. The jailbreak came with Cydia and based on this, you don't need to install BSD. Is this true? Is there still something like BSD that I have to install even with Cydia?

I ask because the command "ping" is not found when I try to ping my computer from the phone. I tried running the dd command and it says the connection timed out. I'm not sure if this is due to dd not being on the computer or what?

I am pretty sure port 22 is open because I could ping the phone from my computer.

Is this REALLY the only way to do a data dump?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dreamcube017; 06-30-2012 at 10:30 AM.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

The heck? Says you have 2 posts yet only one is showing up. Odd....

Anyways, can you explain what's going on?
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just did explain it... for the THIRD TIME... Luckly I copied it to clipboard... so here it is again.

Ok so now it appears that my post disappeared again...if it so happens that it reappears later, then sorry for double posting.

I don't feel like getting a totally new OS (Linux) just to do this, so I've installed cygwin for the DD utility and a program called mobaSHH for an ssh server.

I'm using an iPhone 4S with 5.1.1 software. The jailbreak came with Cydia and based on this, you don't need to install BSD. Is this true? Is there still something like BSD that I have to install even with Cydia?

I ask because the command "ping" is not found when I try to ping my computer from the phone. I tried running the dd command and it says the connection timed out. I'm not sure if this is due to dd not being on the computer or what?

I am pretty sure port 22 is open because I could ping the phone from my computer.

Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh, I just realized the message at the bottom that a mod has to approve it.. that's why. Really sorry about that. I'm SUPER tired right now so forgive my reposting numerous times.

Thanks

Ah no wonder lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

*sigh* I don't get it... that's not even the way a forum's supposed to work. If the mod had to approve it.. then why in the light is the thread here in the first place?? I suppose I can just wait and see if the other posts come back and then bump the thread. It's also pretty dumb that the post that... oh neermind, here's what I originally said.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I have merged your original thread with this one. Occasionally threads with particular key words will be put under moderation, in this case I don't know specifically why. May be the link. Anyhow, the original message is merged into this thread now.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,729 Times in 5,975 Posts

Thread was still in moderated status, all better.

Moderated posts are for new members and if that post contains outside links. It helps protect our forum from spam bots. Sorry for the inconvenience and welcome to MMi
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-30-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I thought I approved it, well thanks Bo.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,729 Times in 5,975 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I thought I approved it, well thanks Bo.
    You got the one post, but when you merged, it kept it in mod status.

Thanks

Restore and rejailbreak lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ah so that's what happened. Thanks mods.

Yeah I made those post after a LOOOONG night of trying to get it working and after it didn't work and the forum was doing what it was doing, I was getting rather frustrated.

Hm I got the listener part working. From what I read and found out, I have to install some other package to get the ping commands to work. That's not the main issue though.

I'm getting Connect to Port 22 Time Out and so I went in my firewall and opened that port so that it could connect. I tried a few SSH servers. Cygwin and MobaSSH. On one of them, I got a slightly different error. "connection unreachable" Not sure what that means. I can connect to the phone with the computer just fine, but not vise versa. Is there a way to run the dd command from the computer or must I use the phone? Everytime I try to run it from the computer, I get an error that says dev/disk0 Directory not foundor No Such Directory. Something along those lines. I'm guessing this is because the computer just doesn't understand what disk0 is. I tried ssh root@iPhoneIP and then doing the dd command, but it still didn't work. Must I do it from the phone and MUST I do it through SSH in the first place?? All these programs they have to browse the phone's files and none of those can create a full disk image?

Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, to get an idea, have you tried ifunbox? (on a mac called ifunboxmac).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ifunbox?... tell me what that is and I'll tell you if I've tried it... in short, Nope. Never heard of it till now. I'm still reading through that other thread if it's mentioned somewhere in there.

I'll look it up. Thansk.

I'm about to download ubuntu liveCD and see if I can just do it through there if nothing else works.

Thanks

It lets you browse the file system of the device. It's kinda like iFile in a way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks.

Ah it appears it does more than that. It also lets me do some SSH stuf and has a USB tunneling thing too.

I SSH'ed using iFunBox but then I get a Permission Denied Try Again when I try to input my computer's password. Darn, SO CLOS!

Because I can't get the password, it says Write Failed... so I know DD has to be working. Aw man, I can almost taste it, but not sure why I'm getting that.

Thanks

It wants your iDevice's password, not your PC's.

You need the IP adress and your root password (default is alpine)

Username is root.

You can find your IP address by going into settings, Wifi, and then clicking the little arrow. There will be one tab that says IP Address, this is what you want.
    Last edited by H4CK3R; 07-03-2012 at 04:44 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry for the long pause in replying. School decided that I had more important things to do than recover important data on my phone... heh...

Well I tried and it asks for this.

Code:
     [email protected]'s password
    That's my computer, not my phone. I put in the corerct password, but it still says permission denied.

I'm connecting through a USB tunnel provided through iFunBox. I'm not sure why it won't accept this, but this seems to be the ONLY way I can get my iphone and PC to talk to each other. Doing it via wireless just results in time outs. And this is through any SSH server going through my phone or my PC.

Any suggestions? Has anyone tried doing this through iFunBox before?