+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with best computer

is a discussion within the

Windows Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
I am looking for a windows laptop with an INTEL core i7, at least 8 gigs of ram, and a 3.3ghz or higher gpu, for under $1000. the goal is
    iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Help with best computer
    I am looking for a windows laptop with an INTEL core i7, at least 8 gigs of ram, and a 3.3ghz or higher gpu, for under $1000. the goal is to get os x lion running in vmware on the computer so i can officially develop. the computers i have currently just aren't cutting it, and i do not have access to the ones that will. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    (null)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

It might seem extremely obvious of me...but I think you should get a Macbook

It's hard to find an i7 laptop for under $1000, even a Windows computer. Those ultrabooks look promising though. I think HP, Toshiba, ASUS, Acer, and Lenovo have them. But yeah with those specs, I think you're looking at over $1000 for any of them. I'm probably wrong though...but yeah that's what I know.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,057 Times in 4,201 Posts

Agree with Annie been a pc user for 17 years got a MacBook pro last Christmas and I will never go back to a pc I love it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

This is a very hard question to answer though. Now will you be able to build an i7 comp with your specs for under a 1000$? Well, maybe, yea, but your going to be getting low-end parts for almost everything just to meet your budget and specs.

Now as both of the mods have said it may seem like the obvious choice to just buy a macbook... but I disagree.

Chepest MacBook Pro is 1200. For 800$ I can build a custom PC that will absolutely destroy that MacBook Pro, spec wise, let me say again, SPEC WISE. ( Not anti-virus wise, ease of software, just specs ) RAM, Storage, Everything would be better and higher end than the mac.

However I see you wanna run a VM on your computer so you can develop Apple software due to Xcode being available only for mac. Let me tell you this as a former VM user. I ran a VM running SnowLeopard on my core i3 HP Dv6, now dont get me wrong this thing was far from fast, but it kept up at a pretty decent rate, and that was a 400$ computer bought from Circuit City.

So in conclusion I will say this, and people may not agree but its my opinion. Go on TigerDirect or NewEgg do some serious research man, and build your own computer. If you take your time and research right, you should be able to spend 7-9$ on a computer that will run MAC OS better than a MAC

Tyler

PC FOR LIFE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

By all means I don't disagree. My suggestion for a MacBook was lighthearted lol. I can agree getting a PC is more affordable, and comparable in performance; however, I don't ever I enjoy the durability of the MacBook Pro or Air. I've had the white MacBook plastic break off, multiple Windows laptop keys fall off, cracked bodies, etc. I just don't like plastic laptops. I also like OS X anyway, don't ever use Windows.

But yeah, building your own computer is cheaper but it'll be hard to find even a Windows laptop under $1000 with those specs, new.

Thanks

I spent $400 on a 11" netbook (AMD, cuz it was faster than the Atoms)
    and it runs Snow Leopard natively.....

but it was hellish getting it installed and booting. Took me nearly a year to get most things working. (still no audio, no power management) In the end, useless for iOS development. Because by the time I was able to get XCode working reasonably, it was obsolete and horrifically slow.

I just "upgraded" back to it's native Windows7, last week.

If you're serious about iOS dev, and not a serious hardware hacker, get a real macbook instead.
    If you're a little less serious about most things, and have more patience than money look here:

HCL 10.7.3/Portables - OSx86
    HCL 10.6.8/Portables - OSx86

Forget the specs you're looking for.
    What you want is COMPATIBILITY.
    And booting OS X natively (dual boot) is really the only way to go.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses guys. I must say i am a windows person for life, i could never have mac as a default operating system. I have had it running in virtualbox before, and i want to see how vmware compares. Plus, i love a good challenge, and i can start legitimate developing. I figured the best computer for this would be a beefy one. Unfortunatly, my parents are not willing to spend that much, and my bday is coming up, so thats why i have consulted u guys.
    (null)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iOS developing was meant to be done on a mac, apple --> ios.

As for the specs, they go over $1000. The high end laptops have equal hardware distribution, the best go with the best. I suggest custom building a tower just as far as pricing goes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Calypto View Post
    iOS developing was meant to be done on a mac, apple --> ios.

As for the specs, they go over $1000. The high end laptops have equal hardware distribution, the best go with the best. I suggest custom building a tower just as far as pricing goes.
    Thanks. I think for my bday im headed to best buy! As for ios developing, im just a kid, i dont want to get to serious,

but i do want an opportunity to take my education outside of the classroom a little bit.
    (null)