Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TightVNC and iphone..

Default TightVNC and iphone..
    I have Tight VNC installed on my PC and Remoter VNC app installed on my iphone 4g and I can connect and control my PC from iphone when both of them are connected to wifi network but I want to know how can I do this when my PC is connected to wifi and my iphone is connected to 3G network ??

Thanks in advance.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How familiar are you with networking? Are you on a home network or corporate?

Several methods exist, but the easiest is to make your PC visible on the big Internet.

I'll assume you're on a Home Network. Home networks are connect to the big internet through a router. The default configuration of a router will give your PC a 'private' IP address that is local to your home network and unknown to anything on the big internet. The router manages the connection between your local network and the big internet. In order for your iPhone (while on 3G or connected anywhere away from the home network) to connect to your PC, the PC needs a big IP address. Most routers can be configured to do this. On my 2Wire router, this mode is called "DMZplus mode". Different routers use different names. Once configured, your PC will be given an IP address that is accessible from the big internet, your iPhone via 3G, and everything else too

There are many other methods, like port forwarding, tunneling, optional encryption, and, and ... that work equally well. These are far more complicated to set up but provide much better control and security.

Warning: The easiest method (described above) is not good for security purposes. Your PC becomes totally visible to the big internet, vulnerable to all sorts of viruses, dos attacks, exploits, etc. I use this method only for emergencies. Doing it safely requires a lot of networking knowledge and experience.
    Last edited by Mes; 07-16-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks alot for your answer and yes my Pc is on home network and I have Linksys router so can you tell me how I configure this router so I can connect to it safely from 3G network or give me the name of this method and I will google for it ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I suggest going to the Lynksys user forum. No doubt, others have done the same thing.

Port Forwarding is not too complicated and requires no extra Windows software. It does 'open' one port to the big internet, but thats better than all of them

Quote Originally Posted by tito_66 View Post
    Thanks alot for your answer and yes my Pc is on home network and I have Linksys router so can you tell me how I configure this router so I can connect to it safely from 3G network or give me the name of this method and I will google for it ?
    If you could tell us what model of Linksys you have, I might be able to walk you through it.
    (though, a linksys forum might be a good place to ask, too)

At any rate, you will need to know two pieces of information about your local network:
    (you will need to know these, you don't need to tell US what they are)

1) your desktop PC's local IP address on the LAN at home. If your PC connects via WiFi it may have a dynamic address- which is likely to complicate things. You may want to switch it to a static local IP.

2) your linksys router's public IP address on the Internet. This is probably dynamic too, but normally should not change very often. If/when it changes, connecting to your PC from 3G may stop working, until you find out the new public IP address.

For the first, try one of these: (the "without using the command prompt" options should be easier to decipher).
    http://kb.iu.edu/data/aapa.html

For the second, this image should probably tell you what your address is right now:

Also, what "remote VNC app" do you run on your iPhone? You're using TightVNC on the PC, right?
    Last edited by raduga; 07-18-2011 at 04:53 AM.

thank you very much I could finally connect to PC from iphone via 3G network by configure Port forwarding in Linksys router and using public IP of my PC .. thanks again