+ Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Editing .mov files for corrupt cycorder videos...

is a discussion within the

Windows Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
Anyone contacted Saurik on this or ever get anywhere? I also have a VERY important video (one of someone who passed) and this is VERY important I get it fixed
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Anyone?
    Anyone contacted Saurik on this or ever get anywhere? I also have a VERY important video (one of someone who passed) and this is VERY important I get it fixed from the corrupted state (audio and all.) Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bump! (Again)...

I just recorded a wonderful video of some family meeting for the first time and I went to finalize the video, it finalized but when I go to play it I get the "This movie format is not supported." message... so upsetting! And I can't recreate this moment...

If I close the app (cycorder) and re-open it and go to the video list, I can see that it does have 1 frame on the thumbnail...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

bump again

anyone ...?? Help...I really need a video from my iphone that is corrupt with cycorder.

Is there any windows program out there that can rip the images ... at least for now...

thx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

bump

Anyone make any progress on this issue?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm with you guys. I have what should be an amazingly hot video on my phone that I can't open. I've tried tweeting saurik too and he didn't respond. I'm sure he's busy and all, but it would be awesome if somebody that knew what they were doing could come up with a solution to this....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

BUMP

I have the same problem... I used to just delete the videos, but I have this one which has my grandma, and is my only souvenir of her.. I need my video fixed, it's about one minute long, it has about 15MB.. Someone must have made a program that can read files regardless of the headers! Please help =(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys,

Same problem! it's really annoying...I searched everywhere on the net a program like File Juicer, for Windows and found nothing !
    I'm lost, it can't be so difficult to extract a movie in a sequence of pics right?

I wonder if Adobe Premiere could be able to do that...

EDIT: No, Adobe Premiere (at least the Pro 7 version) can't even import the .mov...
    Last edited by KayF34; 02-12-2010 at 10:19 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bump =(

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess there is still no luck in this area?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nope...unfortunatly

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am in a similar position, all my movie files were fine but I upgraded to a 3GS and forgot to back them up before starting "erase all data" on the old phone, I realised within 20 seconds and cancelled it and then recovered the phone and followed this guide to recover my data -

Guide: Recover Lost or Deleted Photos/Files on iPhone 3G/S (Jailbroken) on a Mac

I successfully recovered a single video file with no problems, the rest are corrupt and won't open. But I can get all the frames from FileJuicer. If only the audio could be recovered too!

Well I will post if I I come up with anything, but for those with Windows PC's that can't use File Juicer and would at least like that data, shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to run them through for you and send them back.

UPDATE 1 ----------------- >

Anyone tried this -

how to repair corrupt MOV file? - Presentation Transcript

How to Repair corrupt MOV file? “ I can not access the MOV file in the QuickTime, it looks as normal, what’s the problem?”
    Files corruption happened due to the files is not saved completely, or the operating system crashes while the file is in use, the physical problems with the storage media, hardware malfunctions, natural causes, viruses, software errors, and human errors etc. . When these bad situation occurred, what we can do is repairing the corrupt file.
    To repair corrupt MOV file, we need prepare: 1. Download a video recovery software and install it in your computer. ( you can free downlod from: http://www.digitalmedia-recovery.com/download.php ) Step1: Choose the drive/ storage device your MOV file saved in.
    1. Choose the Drive
    2. Choose the file type
    3. Choose the target files to repair
    With high-end disk scanning technology, the corrupt MOV files will be quickly repaired. News From: Digital Media Recovery Software - Photo Recovery software, Video Recovery software, Audio Recovery Software

My searches keep turning this up. But I don't want to drop $50 on it and it not work.

UPDATE 2 ----------------- >

Ok I have found what seems to be a guaranteed way to fix these files. A piece of software for the mac called "Treasured" will analyse the file and allow you to send it for repair for $50-$79

BUT with multiple files they send you a repair kit, you can use it as many times as you like but the resulting files will have a watermark. Once you are happy, you can pay to unlock the files without watermark.

So if the video/s are worth $79 to you, then do this. However you can also convert them for free if you are ok with a watermark.

ALSO there is NO limit on the amount of files you can repair, so it seems to me the repair kit will work with ALL Cycorder files (as it is custom built for them). So if one of us does this, we can convert everyone's for the same cost.

In theory, it's easy to test, someone get the repair kit (I will have it shortly) and use on there own files and try it on other peoples. I'll be happy to share the repair kit for testing, unless it is bound to me in some way.

Again for the non Mac users here, I am HAPPY to help you by testing the repair kit for you OR by recovering your images through File Juicer.
    Last edited by parabolee; 03-02-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Posting update

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'll be happy to recover my datas! Can you send me a private message with your mailing adress so I could send you a corrupted video?
    Thanks a lot !

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Upload your videos to Rapidshare in zip/rar's and PM me the links and I'll do what I can.

Green Apple
    Thanks

For those with Windows, you can still rip the frames using BitmapRip (Marco Pontello's Home - Software - BitmapRip). It's a command line tool that'll read the file and extract the jpegs out of it. You'll get a ton of broken images, but among them will be frames for the video.

I recommend using a file splitter program (like HJSplit) to divide your video into 10mb chunks and run the program on each chunk. You'll have a higher chance of success (and there's a bug in the program that overwrites older images if a single file has over 10,000 images in it).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After spending some time poring over a hex editor, Dumpster (QuickTime Tools) and the QuickTime File Format (Qtff pdf - .Pdf & Word Free Ebooks Download), I have successfully been able to repair corrupt Cycorder videos.

As NFL_Demon and jumpfroggy found, since Cycorder didn't finalize the .mov we are left with both a missing 'moov' atom, and an 'mdat' atom with a size of 0. However, simply appending a 'moov' atom from a healthy Cycorder .mov and updating the mdat size is not sufficient to fix a corrupt file. While that may allow the file to be loaded in a QuickTime player, the resulting video would have sample video/audio tables pointing at essentially random locations within the file. You would probably see a black video with crackling noises and snippets of sound.

The following areas of the 'moov' atom need to be reconstructed in order to have the file play correctly:

* mvhd.duration
    * (video) trak.tkhd.duration
    * (video) trak.mdia.mdhd.duration
    * (video) trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stts
    ** This stts section basically syncs video/audio sample timing. The entire table needs to be rebuilt. Since we do not have the exact timing information for each video frame (presumably this was in Cycorder memory?) we can guess at the timing for each frame based on the rate of audio samples coming in. This produces reasonable results.
    * (video) trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsz
    ** This stsz section is the table of video sample sizes. This can be reconstructed by scanning the 'mdat' atom for mjpg signatures.
    * (video) trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stco
    ** This stco section is the table of video sample offsets within the .mov file. Again, this can be reconstructed by scanning the 'mdat' atom.
    * (audio) trak.tkhd.duration
    * (audio) trak.mdia.mdhd.duration
    * (audio) trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stts.sampCnt
    * (audio) trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsc
    ** This stsc section is the samples to chunks table. This can be reconstructed by analyzing the audio information in the 'mdat' atom.
    * (audio) trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsz.numEntries
    * (audio) trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stco
    ** This stco section is the table of audio sample offsets within the .mov file. This can also be reconstructed by scanning the 'mdat' atom.
    * Various container sizes also need to be recalculated to account for the replacement table sizes.

Based on the above, I have created a proof-of-concept python script that generates a valid 'moov' atom from a corrupt .mov video. It is a bit ugly at the moment, and the resulting atom needs to be manually stitched in to the corrupt file at the moment, but it does work. I will attempt to clean it up and post it for folks to use this weekend.

Cheers

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xylor For This Useful Post:

mikeebee (04-15-2010), xHITMANx (04-22-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xylor View Post
    After spending some time poring over a hex editor, Dumpster (QuickTime Tools) and the QuickTime File Format (Qtff pdf - .Pdf & Word Free Ebooks Download), I have successfully been able to repair corrupt Cycorder videos.

As NFL_Demon and jumpfroggy found, since Cycorder didn't finalize the .mov we are left with both a missing 'moov' atom, and an 'mdat' atom with a size of 0. However, simply appending a 'moov' atom from a healthy Cycorder .mov and updating the mdat size is not sufficient to fix a corrupt file. While that may allow the file to be loaded in a QuickTime player, the resulting video would have sample video/audio tables pointing at essentially random locations within the file. You would probably see a black video with crackling noises and snippets of sound.

The following areas of the 'moov' atom need to be reconstructed in order to have the file play correctly:

* mvhd.duration
    ** This stts section basically syncs video/audio sample timing. The entire table needs to be rebuilt. Since we do not have the exact timing information for each video frame (presumably this was in Cycorder memory?) we can guess at the timing for each frame based on the rate of audio samples coming in. This produces reasonable results.
    ** This stsz section is the table of video sample sizes. This can be reconstructed by scanning the 'mdat' atom for mjpg signatures.
    ** This stco section is the table of video sample offsets within the .mov file. Again, this can be reconstructed by scanning the 'mdat' atom.
    ** This stsc section is the samples to chunks table. This can be reconstructed by analyzing the audio information in the 'mdat' atom.
    ** This stco section is the table of audio sample offsets within the .mov file. This can also be reconstructed by scanning the 'mdat' atom.
    * Various container sizes also need to be recalculated to account for the replacement table sizes.

Based on the above, I have created a proof-of-concept python script that generates a valid 'moov' atom from a corrupt .mov video. It is a bit ugly at the moment, and the resulting atom needs to be manually stitched in to the corrupt file at the moment, but it does work. I will attempt to clean it up and post it for folks to use this weekend.

Cheers
    Hi I have a VHoldR HD Cam and it produces .MOV files, but some of the movies do not have a valid ending because the cam hung will recording. I hope you have some progress with you script, I hope I can use it too.

Thanks,

RvBCrS

Green Apple
    Thanks

* mvhd.duration

Cheers
    Impressive, I can't wait to see what you have going there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here is a working version of the repair script:
    https://github.com/dkjer/repair_cycorder_mov

It is still a bit messy, but it seems to work well enough.

Please let us know if it work for you! If you find the script useful, feel free to buy me some beer: Donate!

I hope it works out for folks!
    Last edited by xylor; 03-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xylor For This Useful Post:

frmuol (03-24-2010), gazmeist (04-25-2010), mainita (04-18-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here is a working version of the repair script:
    repair_cycorder_mov.zip

It is still a bit messy, but it seems to work well enough.

Please let us know if it work for you! If you find the script useful, feel free to buy me some beer: Donate!

I hope it works out for folks!

Friend, you could do a step by step how to fix the video?

what program you used to accomplish this?

I really do not understand how as you get it ...

Tanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am trying to run your script, I am not at all familiar with Applescript, I get all kinds of errors, how do you run this applescript, should i use terminal or Applescript?

thanks, billymac