+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone won't turn on - not responding to reset

is a discussion within the

Windows Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
Hey guys, this is really scaring me now. So this is the story: I bought my iphone (OTB 1.1.1) off ebay about 2 months ago off ebay, works perfectly. So
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone won't turn on - not responding to reset
    Hey guys, this is really scaring me now. So this is the story:

I bought my iphone (OTB 1.1.1) off ebay about 2 months ago off ebay, works perfectly. So i recently upgraded it to 1.1.3 with ziphone. Works fine.

Then i decided to buy an FM Transmitter off ebay (like a generic itrip). It was cheap, the packaging says its compatible with iphone so i expected it to atleast work with my iphone (i didn't expect quality).

I plugged it in to my iphone, and it shows that message "..accessory not made for iphone etc.." Stupid me i just ignored it since my friend gets that message too when he uses his belkin fm transmitter (which works for him on his iphone). So after closing that message, i try to play a song, and woop-di-doo my iphone freezes. i reset the iphone and it gives me a command line boot sequence and gives me this "single user" thing message about mac addresses and things (like MS Dos style look). Then thinking what the, i just reset it again (home+power) and it does something funny, the screen just goes WHITE. All white. No apple logo, no nothing, just turns on like a flash light.

Then i had to go out, so i turned it off thinking i'd just go home, and do a fresh restore and then unlock etc with ziphone.

I come home, 2 hours later, and i tried to turn on my iphone, but it wont turn on.

I plugged it into the wall charger, and also my computer usb (direct not through keyboard or hub), and it does nothing. It's like its completely dead. I've sat here holding the reset buttons for like 5 minutes and it still does nothing.

Can anyone help me? I bought this from ebay so i have no warranty?
    I'm also in australia. I checked the apple website and it says that my iphone isn't registered or something, but it gives me the option of going to a retailer. If i send it to a relative in the USA to take it to an apple shop, would i be able to get it fixed/replaced? Or would they require tax invoices etc.
    At this point i don't think i can do much to fix it myself because there are really only two buttons available to me and they seem to do nothing. =/

Thanks

Accessories designed for iPods use a higher voltage than those for iPhones. You may have fried your circuitry; as my friend did when he stuck his iPhone in a Bose speaker system. 10 mins after he got the "accessory not made for iphone" message, his phone was dead.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    oh.. bugger.. so what can i do? if i send it to USA to an apple store.. would they replace it? I'm not too sure how the warranty works etc. Are they really 'tight' on their warranty?

If say you walk into an apple shop and they try turning it on / resetting it etc and it doesn't turn on, would they just give me a new one? or would they make you leave it there, and wait a few days etc.

My iPhone is a Part of Me stocis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twisties123 View Post
    oh.. bugger.. so what can i do? if i send it to USA to an apple store.. would they replace it? I'm not too sure how the warranty works etc. Are they really 'tight' on their warranty?

If say you walk into an apple shop and they try turning it on / resetting it etc and it doesn't turn on, would they just give me a new one? or would they make you leave it there, and wait a few days etc.
    try.. but i think u'll be needing a warranty
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    iphones haven't been around for that long, and judging from the serial number they should be able to figure out that its not been a year since they'd released my 1.1.1 OTB for sale. shrugs.. Whats the worst they can do if i try to bring it in? just give it back to me and say no?

I did jailbreak and etc it. But i figured they won't be able to turn it on to figure that out if i ask for a replacement straight away. And since the circuitry is most likely fried, they wouldn't be able to extract any data anyway.

I can't believe its come down to having to bring it into apple to fix -_-

Thanks

tough luck my friend.. i'm really really sorry for u :/ but at least there's a last chance for u to get a new phone.. you can try!

lets keep our hopes up.. and keep us informed i really want to know what happened

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey they can't sue me or anything for jailbreaking cracking the phone etc can they? Like if they give me a replacement and then figure out that its been cracked.

BTW when i send it to my relatives, should i send everything to them? box.. packaging etc. or just the phone?

Thanks

you should send everything just to make sure

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey if i lie to the guy at the apple shop about my phone, and he is able to turn it on and finds out that it's cracked or whatever, can i get like arrested or something? I mean it is dead, or should i plug it into the fm transmitter for a bit longer to make sure its completely fried lol.

or worst case he calls my bluff and just refuses to help me with my phone?

what if they take my dead phone to the lab and like extract the hdd and find out about my call records and things like that and somehow track me down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

PLUG the phone in to the wall and LEAVE IT.

The phone crashed when you plugged the accessory in. Before it could recover, you pressed home+power and you put it into restore mode. That's why you got the white screen. When you went to turn it off it only dimmed the screen, it did not turn it completely off.... you did not have the option to turn it completely off because you had no slider. You only had to option to put it to sleep BUT it will not go to sleep in restore mode. When you walked away from it, it kicked itself back on and tried to reset itself while you were gone. This likely happened over and over since it will endlessly reboot until it dies when in restore mode.

Your phone is too dead to turn on, remember what happens when you let an ipod sit for a long time and it completely dies? You have to plug it in for as much as 5 hours before it kicks back on.

Plug that thing into the wall and give it a while to charge. It'll either kick itself back on, or eventually it'll have enough power for you to turn it back on.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    omg if you are right i am so gonna give you a big internet emoticon kiss. i'm gonna leave it charging all night on the wall. and see in the morning.

cos yeah, it gave me that 'single user' 'dos style' screen when it died. if you google 'iphone single user boot' and check a few links, you'll see the story about it. apparently it's rare but yeah. then after i got that screen i was like.. oh no.. so i hesitated and was like.. okay.. who cares its dead might aswell see if exposing it to MORE bad plug would fix it (stupid me). So i plugged it into the fm transmitter again, and yeah, it when white screen after a while, and i just did the reset thing till it looked like it was off and left it.

Whats the maximum time i should charge it for before i should give up? i'll give it 6 hours and let you know how it goes. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twisties123 View Post
    hey if i lie to the guy at the apple shop about my phone, and he is able to turn it on and finds out that it's cracked or whatever, can i get like arrested or something? I mean it is dead, or should i plug it into the fm transmitter for a bit longer to make sure its completely fried lol.

or worst case he calls my bluff and just refuses to help me with my phone?

what if they take my dead phone to the lab and like extract the hdd and find out about my call records and things like that and somehow track me down.
    Haha, you're a riot! No, you can't get arrested, neither jailbreaking or unlocking a phone is illegal. It's just against Apple's EUA and will void your warranty.

PS: iPhone's don't have an HDD, just a memory chip.

Thanks

If you do get arrested you'll likely only get community service. Maybe a few days cleaning up graffiti or helping old ladies with their shopping. But hey, it'll be worth it to get a new iphone
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

rofl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    If you do get arrested you'll likely only get community service. Maybe a few days cleaning up graffiti or helping old ladies with their shopping. But hey, it'll be worth it to get a new iphone
    But what about the cavity search when he's booked? Will that be worth it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

did u try it fam?

Thanks

who cares its dead might aswell see if exposing it to MORE bad plug would fix it (stupid me).
    While this increases the chance of permanent damage, you still have a chance. Once you get it to do anything at all force it into dfu and restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    okay ive had it in since last night at 2am. i woke up at 8am randomly and checked it. Still dead as anything, tried home/power and holding power on its own but no cigar. It was noticeably warm at this time.

after that i fell back asleep, 2 hours later i woke up, and it was noticeably cooler, and was still dead. any ideas? i knew i shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

IMHO your best case scenario is that you fried your battery so bad it's completely dead and won't hold any charge so you'll need to install a new one. That's about $30 for a battery, $10 for the tools to get your case open. Worst case scenario you fried the logic board which is uber friggen expensive and starts about about $199.

Any replacement parts needed can be obtained from iFixit. Obviously if you find it's under factory warranty it won't hurt anything to try sending it to Apple. Worst case they say "bugger off mate" and send it right back costing you a few bucks in shipping charges.

Thanks

Well you aren't going to get apple to do anything for you. They invented the dang thing and know when someone plugs something in that blows it up.

Right now it's a brick...... If you can't get it working and want me to take a crack at it you can post it to here in the states. The only real advantage of it coming here is that I'm an Electrical Engineer and I might find a bad tracer on the board or something I can fix easily for you.

Not much to lose at this point, you're boned on warranty. I just might be able to make it work. The fact that it gets warm means the charging circuit works, which is a plus... sign of life in there on the main board, but if tracers are burnt from the accy then it's not going to come on without repair and you aren't going to find someone repairing these things. Whatever you do, don't try to pop it open yourself, you WILL screw it up whereas it might can be fixed right now.

Plus I have this cool little toy here

Quote Originally Posted by navalynt View Post
    IMHO your best case scenario is that you fried your battery so bad it's completely dead and won't hold any charge so you'll need to install a new one. That's about $30 for a battery, $10 for the tools to get your case open. Worst case scenario you fried the logic board which is uber friggen expensive and starts about about $199.

Any replacement parts needed can be obtained from iFixit. Obviously if you find it's under factory warranty it won't hurt anything to try sending it to Apple. Worst case they say "bugger off mate" and send it right back costing you a few bucks in shipping charges.
    Negative, it would fire up on plug power if it were the battery. The DC-in board switches power automatically between the two without the OS. besides the battery will not be affected in such a case.

Logic board is likely, but it might just be a tracer.

Here's the logic board: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone/L...10/Logic-Board

Last edited by one1; 03-09-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost