Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: .plist? How to open??

Default .plist? How to open??
    im attempting to edit my .plist so i can have my nes app where i want it to be. im running vista but i cant seem to be able to open the .plist file. i even tried sending it to my mac which is a PPC but no luck there..... help please? i tried googling an HTML editor as someone suggested on another forum but i cant seem to get that to work either. i have it set to open with wordpad but i still get gibberish... help please!

Files that end in .plist are simply XML files, and can be opened by most text editors. For example, I usually open my .plist files with BBedit or TextEdit (which comes standard with OS X, it's the Mac equivalent of WordPad).

Here is an example of what a .plist looks like when you open it up. In this case, Services.plist from the iPhone:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.afc</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.apple.afc</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
    <string>/usr/libexec/afcd</string>
    <string>--lockdown</string>
    </array>
    </dict>
    [remainder of the file snipped]

OK, Remember, this is the Modding in WINDOWS forum. We don't have BBEdit, and not all the .plist files on the iPhone are XML. The majority of the original .plist files are in binary property list format that has no Windows equivalent.

There is a perl script that works most of the time, but you end up having to install ActivePerl and go through all that. I'm writing a plist converter that will be included in iPhoneList. Check out the site.

I want to move the hosting to here, but have been hosed up at work (read: BUSY).

CmputrAce

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CmputrAce For This Useful Post:

bubblesort (01-15-2011)

Guys, here is web page url which opens plist file in xml format.
    iPhoneInterest View .plist
    Last edited by pavanuec; 12-10-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pavanuec For This Useful Post:

6speed (01-04-2009)