Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Editing .plist files in windows - or - how to save yourself from unnecessary restore

Default Editing .plist files in windows - or - how to save yourself from unnecessary restore
    This post is mainly to help those who are stuck at the apple boot logo due to what is most probably a screwed up com.apple.Springboard.plist file.

This can happen for many reasons, the main one being improper installation/uninstallation of packages (main script execution failed) via Installer or Cydia.

Most of the solutions to this problem involve SSHing into your phone - but what if you're one of the unlucky ones who had SSH turned off, or not even installed in the first place?

I'll also explain a very easy method to convert .plist files from binary to xml and back, so that people can edit .plist files very easily.

If you're stuck at the apple logo, connect your iphone to your PC - itunes will recognize that "an" iphone is connected to it, but it wont identify the iphone as your iphone.

If your phone is off - turn it on - so that it goes back to the apple logo - before connecting it to your PC.

If your phone is in restore mode - again - turn it off and turn it on - so that it goes back to the apple logo - before connecting it to your PC.

Once you're connected to your PC, and itunes recognizes "an" iphone, you're out of danger. i.e. you wont need to restore your phone, even though you do not have SSH installed, or, even if you shut off SSH.

1) Next step, download/install iphonebrowser.
    2) Run iphonebrowser - it may say that no iphone is found - in that case - remove and reconnect your iphone - iphonebrowser will recognize it.
    3) Navigate to /System/Library/LaunchDemons/com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
    4) Backup com.apple.Springboard.plist to your PC.
    5) Download and install EditPadLite from EditPad Lite - Free Text Editor for Windows
    6) Rename com.apple.Springboard.plist to com.apple.Springboard.plist.txt
    7) Open the file in EditPadLite (NOTE: Wordpad or Notepad WILL NOT work!!).
    8) Edit the file by removing the offending key in the DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES - usually this would be the .dylib key corresponding to the last application you installed or uninstalled, and which is probably the one causing your iphone to get stuck.
    9) For example,
    <dict>
    <key>DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES</key>
    <string>/Library/Frameworks/SummerBoard.framework/SummerBoard.dylib:/Library/Intelliborn/intelliScreen</string>
    </dict>
    If intelliscreen was the problematic package, you'd want to just delete the .dylib key relating to it, from the DYLD libraries.
    * Each .dylib key is separated by a colon.
    10) Once you've deleted the problematic key, save the file and close EditPadLite.
    11) Rename the .plist.txt file back to .plist
    12) Restart iphonebrowser, navigate back to the same folder, and delete the com.apple.Springboard.plist file on your phone.
    13) Copy the edited one back to the same folder.
    14) Switch off iphone and switch back on - voila - you should be back up and running.

15) In an extreme case, you might have multiple .dylib keys which are causing your iphone to get stuck.
    16) In that case, go through the steps mentioned above, except, in step 9 - delete ALL the .dylib keys.
    In which case, your file would look like this:
    dict>
    <key>DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES</key>
    <string></string>
    </dict>
    17) Repeat steps 10-14 again and you should be all set.
    18) In either case, it goes without saying that you MUST delete all the apps from your /Applications folder, for which you've deleted the .dylib keys - immediately, so that there are no loose ends.
    19) Also, if any of the deleted apps have corresponding launchdemons - you'll want to delete them as well from /System/Library/LaunchDemons/

20) Once all offending .dylib keys, corresponding apps and launchdemons have been deleted, disconnect iphone from your PC, and reboot. It might take a little longer than usual, but if all goes well, you will find that your iphone is back in working order.

I am well aware that there are various posts on the subjects of editing .plist files and on the subject of how to get out of an iphone stuck at the apple boot logo.

However, this oughtta help people who do not have SSH capabilities and still need to get out of a tight spot without having to perform a full restore and go through the entire headache of reinstalling info from backups and apps and sources all over again.

If this guide helps you, feel free to hit the Thanks button

Cheers,
    Draxx
    Last edited by Draxx; 09-11-2008 at 12:30 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Draxx For This Useful Post:

AngelInHeaven (04-21-2012), b3nny (12-01-2010), chutieu21 (03-10-2009), fatltx (04-14-2010), Ice9812 (09-28-2008), jychan28 (12-26-2009), Poseidon79 (09-11-2008), Riviera (06-20-2009), skylinestan (10-25-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Great step by step. Sticky

Thanks

I think this may help me!

Thanks, I'll try it a little later...

is that thing gonna work with Cyrillic fonts? cuz I'm tryna change the springboard.plist to Russian, but something different you know... So when I edit springboard.plist in Russian it's all just ???????????????? on my phone. How do you fix it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to m1ngaa For This Useful Post:

RainerWahnsinn (09-26-2009)

Why would you go and say that? Wordpad will and does edit plist files. No idea what u are talking about

ok my son put passcode on iphone & forgot what numbers he used. What plist do i need to edit and cna i upload via iphuc? if so can you give me detailed instructions. Please!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree I just edit my .plist files with notepad it's pretty simple and basic

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

One more thing about plists.

As a windows users, I've had numerous problems with editing plists. As it turns out, most small file/edits seem to work with Notepad, editor, or the build-in WinSCP editor, but larger plist files appear to be edited correctly but are strangely corrupt. For windows users, the big unknown? Is the plist in text or binary format. It matters

To make my life easier, I installed plutil from Cydia. Not sure if it's part of the basic Unix cmds installed by default.
    Check /private/var/stash/bin for plutil.

plutil is easy to use.
    plutil -xml xxxx.plist (converts to xml format)
    plutil -binary xxxx.plist (converts to binary format)
    The output overwrite the input.

To make my life easier, On the iPhone I convert the plist to xml (same as ascii) format, edit on the iphone or copy to my computer and edit. When finished, copy it back and convert it back to binary. This solved all the strange behavior when I started editing plists.

Note: ALWAYS work on copies .... and always save the originals just in case .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (08-09-2010)

Hey!!! I have this same ******* issue!!! Steve Jobs and the Pineapple logo!!! CAN ANY ONE ******* SPREAD THIS WORD ABOUT THIS ******* ISSUE BECAUSE THIS IS REDICILOUS THAT NO ONE FROM THE DEV TEAM HAS RELEASED SOME KIND OF A FIX FOR THIS SINCE PWNAGE IS WHAT CAUSED THIS PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
    I tried doing this with iPhone Browser, but it will not recognize that my iPhone is connected! I unplugged it and plugged it back in but it still wont recognize it!The iPhone Browser that I have is V1.9.3.0.
    I had this damn iPhone for a month now and nothing worked!!! Can you please help me with this!!! I believe you know how to help me fix this because your my only hope but I just need some final steps with it so I can finally finish this whole procces and finally restore it!!!

Here is a link to my youtube video that I made last night!!!

YouTube - iPhone Stuck on Steve Jobs screen and the pineapple logo

I would greatly appreciate it IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS!!! I AM WILLING TO DONATE MONEY AS WELL!!!

can u teach me how to fix this without power button..becoz my power button damage

it is a useful tutorial

Thanks for this. I hope it works.