Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phone No Longer Vibrates

1.0.2 user on t-mobile here and I'm having the same problem. I don't know when it stopped vibrating but I tried a restore and no luck. i did install springboard recently though and seems like everyone else who is having problems did too, anyone think that might be the problem? Well regardless, if I figure anything out I'll keep you guys posted.

i had this issue.
    I just went into the sound settings, turned off the vibration for both silent and ringer, restarted my phone and turned them both back on
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

Wow, that's actually amazing. Knocked it right under the apple symbol, and the vibrate function started to work again.

Though the problem is, after it vibrates a few times, itll stop. It's like the little part in the phone that vibrates is loose or something.

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

yep hardware issue!!!!

have same problem here, installed springboard a few days ago and now iPhone doesnt vibrate...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes*** View Post
    Wow, that's actually amazing. Knocked it right under the apple symbol, and the vibrate function started to work again.

Though the problem is, after it vibrates a few times, itll stop. It's like the little part in the phone that vibrates is loose or something.
    same here..
    it's not software, it's hardware...

shaking and knocking on the back of the phone brings the vibration on, but with a few movements it looses the vibration again..
    i also feel like a little thing inside the phone is loose.

any ideas?
    OI FROM BRAZIL!

I'm also in the same boat. Sometimes is works, sometimes NOT.

I know a quick hard bump on the phone and it works again, but its just a temp fix.

I'd take it in for warranty, but the phone is unlocked and even if they gave me a new one, I would not be able to unlock it with ANYSIM1.2.1 u.

Has anyone else taken theirs to a repair shop?

my issue is similar to urs except i know for a fact that my vibrate works fine, unless I am receiving a text, email, or hitting the switch. The vibrate works fine with the ringer, I just dont understand what caused the problem. I upgraded to customize 1.21 and toyed a bit with the vibrate settings only to return them to current state. I think it was shortly after installing a new app, that it stopped working. It was working perfect this morning, and then this afternoon when i went to put it in silent for my class, it didnt vibrate when i hit the switch. It works perfect for the ring vibrate, however, wont vibrate for the texts, for the switch, or for an AC plug in. I would hate to trade the phone in as it has a lot of mods on it, and I know if i trade it, ill get a 1.1.3 phone that i wont be able to mod. Any help. Anyone know if its a plist issue, or if customize 1.21 has done that to some. If i go into the vibrate settings in customize, it takes me to a blank screen, rather than show me the three different vibrate settings available. Its almost as if the phone thinks it has no vibrate, yet it vibrates when i get phone calls. HELP!!!
    Last edited by Core627; 01-26-2008 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It has been awhile since I've started this thread. However, I am pretty amazed at how many people are having similar issues with their Vibration. To this day, mine has yet to act up. When I knocked the back of the phone, near the apple logo, it worked and has ever since.

Hope everyone can get theirs working.

My brother's phone is experiencing the same problems. It was a 1.0.2 jailbreak/unlocked(TMO). He was having this issue so I decided to update to 1.1.3. Problem remains, so I assume its hardware. I have done everything exactly the same on my own iPhone except mine came with 1.1.1. Shame I can't take it into apple for warranty repair

ADD ANOTHER TO THE LIST BOYS !! haha

im so glad that i just found this thread... its been days of messing with every file that I can think of .. looking at almost every single file on the phone and nothing ..

Ive restored ..... factory and so on .... Even up and downed the BB and nothing .. no vibration >..

The thing that happen with me was I installed swapfont.... messed with it a few times rebooted .. and got the spinning thing along with apple logo .. from there it was a full day of restoreing .. fw.. blah blah blah the whole nine yards ... finally ended up at 1.1.4 with no vibration along with a weird SMS problem that when I hit cancle on a new arrived sms it marks it read and doesnt show the badge number 1 for 1 sms .... weird ..

but yeah tried banging and still nothing .. but I was just thinkin about the patern..

Everyone with the same problem ..

installed something ...

rebooted ...

spinning apple logo..

no matter what no vibration ... weird ..

I cant see how i could bring a phone back that i got in nov since i am on tmobile myself im sure the apple store would say that ive had it since nov that means i must have used it there for JB and there for killing my warrenty.......

I hope we find out what this is ..

sitting at 1.1.4 with no vibration and messed up sms notification.

Quote Originally Posted by brokentwice View Post
    ADD ANOTHER TO THE LIST BOYS !! haha

im so glad that i just found this thread... its been days of messing with every file that I can think of .. looking at almost every single file on the phone and nothing ..

Ive restored ..... factory and so on .... Even up and downed the BB and nothing .. no vibration >..

The thing that happen with me was I installed swapfont.... messed with it a few times rebooted .. and got the spinning thing along with apple logo .. from there it was a full day of restoreing .. fw.. blah blah blah the whole nine yards ... finally ended up at 1.1.4 with no vibration along with a weird SMS problem that when I hit cancle on a new arrived sms it marks it read and doesnt show the badge number 1 for 1 sms .... weird ..

but yeah tried banging and still nothing .. but I was just thinkin about the patern..

Everyone with the same problem ..

installed something ...

rebooted ...

spinning apple logo..

no matter what no vibration ... weird ..

I cant see how i could bring a phone back that i got in nov since i am on tmobile myself im sure the apple store would say that ive had it since nov that means i must have used it there for JB and there for killing my warrenty.......

I hope we find out what this is ..

sitting at 1.1.4 with no vibration and messed up sms notification.
    Your SMS is supposed to do that. Once you tap close, the indicator is supposed to go away. You should download Taskbar Notifier, it will show u texts, missed calls, and emails on your status bar.

For the vibrate issue. Download ibrate and run it. If the phone vibrates, its not a hardware issue. If it doesnt, your answer is is obvious. You'll need to SSH if the phone vibrates, as something may be wrong with your vibrate plist. Go to: System/Library/Frameworks/celestial.framework, you will be looking for a file named SystemSoundVibrationPatterns.plist. If u have another iphone see if u can copy this plist, if not, let me know and i can send you my plist which works right. Remember, do this only if your phone does vibrate by using ibrate.

Fontswap hates me as well. My phone did the same spinning apple of death screen, at which point i had to do a restore...i like my fonts now, they like me back, wouldnt change them for the world.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Core627 For This Useful Post:

lp689 (02-05-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

my vibrate also stopped working after installing swapfont. i only changed the font once and haven't touched it since. noticed the vibrate stopped wroking but was able to fix it with a simple rebot of the phone...

Yeah IT seems that ibrate does not work.... so yeah hardware....

Just kinda weird cause I mean what are the chances that we all have this same problem right after doing almost the samething..

and the sms thing must have changed since 1.1.2 cause it used to keep the indacator on there till you read the message in the Sms app.. weird ...

Hello from Guatemala -

Same issue here, I cant remember what was that I installed in my iPhone but it stoped vibrating.

Obviously Im not eligible for Warranty so I took it to my iPhone Guru in Guatemala, he started by rebooting it and updating it to 1.1.3 (I had 1.0.2). But nothing.

He tried the cave man way by tapping it and cursing at it. But nothing.

So he went out on a limb, opened it and re-welded something. Then it Worked!!!

I must admit, he is an electrical engineer... But I will ask him to post his solution.

I'll let everyone know how long it works.

ive also noticed that my sms notification is rather glitchy too.. sometimes i will get the notification other times i wont ..

GUYS THE PROBLEM IS FIXED !!

Just this morning I was looking into the problem yet again .. ive gone nutts with this for a long time since updating .. and now its all back and working ..

just goto installer and install teh appsupport for 1.1.4 or 1.1.3 reboot .. and BAM vibration is back in the HOUSE !!!

Thanks
    Thank you so much.

I was having the exact same problem, so I gave the phone a couple of hard taps to the back.

At first it was weak, but at least it came back.

Slapped it a couple more times, and its back to normal.

Hopefully it keeps working and doesn't revert to not vibrating.

Thanked, and good luck to everyone else.

I this problem too, Tryed a reinstall of the firmware with no avail, I knew once i had restored that it was a hardware problem. So i bought the openeing kit, removed the antenna cover, then the rear metal cover, on the back left of the rear metal cover is where the motor is located, i took out three screws, cleaned all the gunk that has built up on the motor, rotated the motor to make sure it was loose, then put the three screws back reasembled the phone and tested the vibration and it was back, two weeks later still going strong. If you have any questions pm me

Unbelievable! I tried "thumping" it like you said, and it worked! Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast