Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: plist editor for windows

Default plist editor for windows
    Does anyone know of a plist editor for windows that will open all the plist's for the iphone? some of them that don't seem to have binary encoding I can open but the rest dont open (at least not clearly/cleanly).

Thanks

Try XMLSpear available from Donkey Development. It claims to be an XML editor that can handle Mac OS PList files in binary format.

http://www.donkeydevelopment.com/

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssussman View Post
    Does anyone know of a plist editor for windows that will open all the plist's for the iphone? some of them that don't seem to have binary encoding I can open but the rest dont open (at least not clearly/cleanly).
    I you already jailbroke you phone...and have Installer on it...then install MobileFinder, and MobileTextEdit...from MobileFinder you should have access to all your files..go the file that you want to edit..edit and save.

It doesn't understand the .plist and has no any MAC's encoding inside...

Do not use MobileTextEdit to edit binary plists. It will corrupt them to just open them, since it always saves even if no changes were made.

You can use plutil.pl to convert to text, then edit. It does not handle every plist yet, but most common ones work.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hello. I downloaded mobilefind because I need to edit a file named 'com.apple.mobile.installation.plist' so I can remove instance of apps that were on my iphone via SSH and now I am wanting to install them via ipa. It thinks the apps are still there but I deleted them.

Are you stating I should not use Mobilfind to do this? If not how can I do it on Windows OS?

Also when browsing to that folder where the file is via Mobilfind it cuts off the name of the file so I am not sure which one I am looking at. How can I tell which file I am looking at?

Thanks

file:///C:/Users/Balcis/Desktop/bin2xml.htm
    working link.

Quote Originally Posted by balcis View Post
    file:///C:/Users/Balcis/Desktop/bin2xml.htm
    working link.
    Only works on your PC since it links to your local (Windows) C: drive.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

I had the same problem for a long time, but this works:

pledit.rar

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Pledit.exe (probably the same as plist.rar) works great on a PC. Google it. Note: It's just an exe, not installer. So un-rar to your destination directory, click on pledit and select the file to edit. I like this one, simple and effective.
    Last edited by Mes; 01-29-2009 at 11:52 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mfleigle's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Pledit.exe (probably the same as plist.rar) works great on a PC. Google it. Note: It's just an exe, not installer. So un-rar to your destination directory, click on pledit and select the file to edit. I like this one, simple and effective.
    Just what I was going to suggest Also it is a big helper if you make it the default .plist editor. Then you just double click on the file

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mfleigle For This Useful Post:

Mes (01-29-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfleigle View Post
    ... Also it is a big helper if you make it the default .plist editor. Then you just double click on the file
    Great idea, just changed mine . Thanks

After trying many plist editors listed and trying some of the various techniques mentioned here and elsewhere, the only one to work first time and put the list in a file I could read easier was pledit. On string files I did not have to change the extension either.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uvbeenbit View Post
    ... the only one to work first time and put the list in a file I could read easier was pledit....
    I use pledit ... a lot, however I have noticed problems with larger files.

IE: Copy /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/File Download Plugin.webplugin/Info.plist to your computer. Size 12,552 bytes. Open it with pledit, save as "newInfo.plist". Copy back to /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/File Download Plugin.webplugin. newInfo.plist size is now 11,958 bytes. A "diff Info.plist newInfo.plist" confirms the contents are different.

Core Foundation init failed - on trying to run pledit.exe on xphome sp3

Ruben

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@tosbsas. Is this a .NETFramework issue? I would check that at least 2.0 or higher is installed.

3.5 and all its patches

Ruben

Thanks
    Not sure how helpful this will be due to date, but this is how I worked around the "Core Foundation init failed" error when running pledit.exe

from luigidelgado @ forum @ hackint0sh.org

"Sorry for bringing this from dead but after the new Jailbreak on 4.0.1 and tethering reenabling a working PLIST editor for windows is necesarry... searching around I found what is a definitive solution here:
    "... Then may be because you are using iTunes 9.1.1

copy "C:/Program Files/Common Files/Apple/Apple Application Support" folder to
    "C:/Program Files/Common Files/Apple/Mobile Device Support"
    then rename entire folder to "bin"

Try start pledit again. It would work properly."
    This is the solution. Cheers."

This worked for me, and I thank luigidelgado for that. I hope it helps anyone else out there looking for the answer.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DaigleFSU For This Useful Post:

gobnel (01-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DaigleFSU View Post
    Not sure how helpful this will be due to date, but this is how I worked around the "Core Foundation init failed" error when running pledit.exe

from luigidelgado @ forum @ hackint0sh.org

"Sorry for bringing this from dead but after the new Jailbreak on 4.0.1 and tethering reenabling a working PLIST editor for windows is necesarry... searching around I found what is a definitive solution here:
    "... Then may be because you are using iTunes 9.1.1

copy "C:/Program Files/Common Files/Apple/Apple Application Support" folder to
    "C:/Program Files/Common Files/Apple/Mobile Device Support"
    then rename entire folder to "bin"

Try start pledit again. It would work properly."
    This is the solution. Cheers."

This worked for me, and I thank luigidelgado for that. I hope it helps anyone else out there looking for the answer.
    This fixed the issue for me. Thanks DaigleFSU

download Notepad++. It's free, easy and it can open and save .plist files.
    Search up on youtube or google images to see how it looks like