Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I've got some questions v.Noobw/4GBiPhone

Default I've got some questions v.Noobw/4GBiPhone
    My phone is a few months old now and it's gone to war with concrete and wood floors alike and come out like a champ. The point I'm trying to make is that I've become somewhat familiarized with it, the interface and installing apps at least through Installer. There are some things I don't know a lot about such as SSH, Putty and WinSCP which have some to do with being able to drag and drop stuff off the device in a graphical interface? Or am I just talking out of my ***?

I want to install a few things (such as iPhone Matte and maybe get around to modify a few existing themes to better suit my liking) but I have no idea where to start on this journey. I've been looking for tutorials but nothing has really helped me and now I have Putty and WinSCP installed on my PC and my iPhone has Open SSH installed just taking up space for now. Help a dude out, brobots?

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/112/iph...2_windows.html

Check this out...Here's how you use WinSCP in a nutshell. Only thing it doesn't really go into detail about is where you put files once you have WinSPC working After you have something downloaded, just drop the file in the correct spot (which will be the right side of the WinSCP screen)...I suggest you use the search on this website. There are NUMEROUS threads about where things go using WinSPC and other programs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisLF For This Useful Post:

ozonevt4 (12-07-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozonevt4 View Post
    My phone is a few months old now and it's gone to war with concrete and wood floors alike and come out like a champ. The point I'm trying to make is that I've become somewhat familiarized with it, the interface and installing apps at least through Installer. There are some things I don't know a lot about such as SSH, Putty and WinSCP which have some to do with being able to drag and drop stuff off the device in a graphical interface? Or am I just talking out of my ***?

I want to install a few things (such as iPhone Matte and maybe get around to modify a few existing themes to better suit my liking) but I have no idea where to start on this journey. I've been looking for tutorials but nothing has really helped me and now I have Putty and WinSCP installed on my PC and my iPhone has Open SSH installed just taking up space for now. Help a dude out, brobots?
    SSH simply allows you to securely connect to your iPhone. Make sure you install NetServices.app so you can turn SSH off when you're not using it. It's a battery hound!

Putty and WinSCP do pretty much the same thing. Only difference is WinSCP is drag & Drop while with Putty you have to manually type all your commands in. The link given before should help you out.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

ozonevt4 (12-07-2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLF View Post
    http://www.hacktheiphone.com/112/iph...2_windows.html

Check this out...Here's how you use WinSCP in a nutshell. Only thing it doesn't really go into detail about is where you put files once you have WinSPC working After you have something downloaded, just drop the file in the correct spot (which will be the right side of the WinSCP screen)...I suggest you use the search on this website. There are NUMEROUS threads about where things go using WinSPC and other programs.
    The link you provided is not working for me but I figured it out. Thanks anyway for you help. *Presses 'Thank' button*
    Last edited by ozonevt4; 12-08-2007 at 08:11 AM.