Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some things that I can't figure out

Default Some things that I can't figure out
    First of all THANKS for this site! It has made the iPhone WAY more interesting and has made me feel better about spending the $ on it!

I have been doing pretty good with modding. I have done cmd ringtones successfully, and now have been using Menzana for icons, signal bars, etc.

However, I can't quite figure out backgrounds and docks... Can anyone put up a good, easy way to photoshop and Menzana these things? I would appreciate anything you guys can help me with!!! I have tried the cmd way from Modding for Windows... I'm just getting frustrated since I could do most other things. Also, how do you rearrange your icons? DisplayOrder? I'm confused with this bit of modding... so thanks in advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by chad2ss View Post
    First of all THANKS for this site! It has made the iPhone WAY more interesting and has made me feel better about spending the $ on it!

I have been doing pretty good with modding. I have done cmd ringtones successfully, and now have been using Menzana for icons, signal bars, etc.

However, I can't quite figure out backgrounds and docks... Can anyone put up a good, easy way to photoshop and Menzana these things? I would appreciate anything you guys can help me with!!! I have tried the cmd way from Modding for Windows... I'm just getting frustrated since I could do most other things. Also, how do you rearrange your icons? DisplayOrder? I'm confused with this bit of modding... so thanks in advance for any help!
    Ill try to throw some stuff up about manzana (ive just started using it myself) anyway if you dont mind a quicky, i can tell you here.

dock is simple, in manzana go to
    System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app and put the file name
    SBDockBG2.png you can find a lot of different docks here

DisplayOrder is also kinda simple, look here for what each icon is called here in windows, you will have to open a clean DisplayOrder.plist you can download this one here to edit this you basically follow the pattern, the first sections is the bottombar where your current ipod,phone,sms,safari icons are. if you want to change one delete the com.apple.mobileSMS and replace it with something else like com.apple.calendar or something. You dont NEED to have 4 at the bottom you can only put 3. for the middle everything starts from the top left and go left to right then starts left again. you can have up to 16 icons in this area. if you replace the first one on the list it will change the top left corner of your home screen, if you replace the fifth one from the top, it will replace the middle left. again change the com.apple.<blahblah> with whatever you want. I would modify ONE and see how it changes things, and then do more until you are comfortable. For the most part if you mess up, no biggie, it just wont show up.

edit: things i missed, edit DisplayOrder.plist with wordpad , when you save press 'save' dont saveas. make sure the file is named DisplayOrder.plist and not DisplayOrder.plist.txt. Secondly, you upload this file to the same place as the dock.

Backgrounds are probably the hardest. I would read one of our tutorials. There are several good ones out there. instead of doing the "cmd" stuff, you just replace that with manzana. just make sure you remember the directory structure and the file name.
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 08-02-2007 at 12:41 AM.
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arthursdomain For This Useful Post:

chad2ss (08-02-2007)

thanks so much!!! that was the kind of guidance i was needing.... I'll be trying this when I wake up. seems simple enough I suppose.

I think my problem with the backgrounds are that I am photoshop retarded and I dont get the whole placing icons and such... what i would eventually like to do is know my icons, and just have a background with a bit of translucency to distinguish that they are buttons. has this been done yet?

again, many thanks!

okay, I have gotten this far.... can anyone tell me why when I drop this into Applications/DemoApp it's not showing up?
    Last edited by chad2ss; 08-02-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost