+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Won't boot and my computer won't recognize

is a discussion within the

Windows Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
Hi everyone, today when i tried connecting my iphone to itunes to sync my computer gives me this message that the usb was not recognized and it never popped up
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone Won't boot and my computer won't recognize
    Hi everyone, today when i tried connecting my iphone to itunes to sync my computer gives me this message that the usb was not recognized and it never popped up on the itunes window. It was weird because when i plug in my ipod nano it recognized it and sync'ed but when i plug in my iphone it doesn't work and it can't recognize it. So i stupidely looked for the answer and opened the sftp and accidently deleted part of the /bin folder then the server just shut itself off because i'm assuming the /bin had something to do with the server. After that my iphone worked for a little while until i booted it and I got an error message that said:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
    Root service is mounted read-only

if you want to make modifications to filles:

/sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /

if you wish to boot the system
    exit

oct 27 03:02:33 launch(3): cant exec /bin/sh for single user: no such file or directory

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everytime i plug it into the cradle it reacts and shows me a bunch of lines of words that doesn't make sense and the last line it says "IOIpodUSBDevice::gated_message cable is connected, starting stack" So i am assuming that the iphone still recognizes the usb cable. My problem now, at least i think its my problem, is how to make my computer recognize the iphone. I've been to this link http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...ec+%2Fbin%2Fsh and the guy has a very similar problem, but he was lucky because the computer recongizes his iPhone so all he had to do was send the phone into recovery mode. Any ideas why my computer doesn't recognize the iphone? I tried the run>devmgmt.msc thing, but I don't know what to do in it and i'm not sure if i need to find a driver or what. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

update: Ok, i don't know why but i held down the home and hold button for a lot longer this time and it gave me the "!" in the yellow triangle and tells me to connect to itunes, but if i connect it to the computer it still doesn't recognize the iphone, any ideas? Not sure if this helps, but i tried connecting the iphone to another computer running windows vista and it tells me the same thing that it doesn't recognize the usb device so i'm guessing its the iphone that has the problem. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bioxide; 10-27-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default you may want....
    to read my post @

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12088

it's similar but not exactly the same. I do remember that usb message tho... a bunch of times.

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

full pledge brick here only apple can save you now ...is yours like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j7cANDaa3E and this is an iphone dev member..lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if i uninstall itunes do i lose the playlists, music and would i have to deauthorize the computer first? thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    full pledge brick here only apple can save you now ...is yours like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j7cANDaa3E and this is an iphone dev member..lol
    wow this sucks, even the date on his error message is the same as mine... but couldn't he just do what the guy here did? http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...ec+%2Fbin%2Fsh the only difference between me and that guy on the video was he used the terminal and i used sftp because i couldn't get my iphone to connect thru the usb.

I went to apple store today and the guy knew instantly that it was modded so no help there, what was weird was my iphone could sync all normally yesterday and today it couldn't and between yesterday and today i don't remember doing anything to the phone other than setting it to airplane mode, turning off all the sounds, and turning off the iphone because i was getting ready to take a test.

I watched the video again and wow, how weird is it that we both did the same thing on the same day... and it was such a random accident too
    Last edited by bioxide; 10-27-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

try going into the blank screen recovery mode. i've always had greater luck this vs. the yellow triangle "!" mark mode.

1. have itunes open and iphone plugged in
    2. hold home and lock buttons, wait 10 seconds
    3. release lock and keep home held down
    4. iphone screen should be blacked out and itunes should recognize in recovery mode
    5. alt/shift click restore to 1.0.2 and start over again

good luck! i'm sure it is fine. although i havn't experience the same problem as you, this method has always saved my iphone when its in trouble. don't give up!!!
    Last edited by hernz; 10-27-2007 at 11:27 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hernz For This Useful Post:

bioxide (10-27-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks for the kind words hernz, i tried the blank screen recovery first thing after the error and i tried it again after you mentioned it, but both times i recieved the "usb device is not recognized" bubble at the bottom right of my windows screen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trent J.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Can you tell me your iPhone firmware history?
    Like..
    1.0.2 Jailbreak
    1.0.2 unlocked
    Downgrade to 1.0.2

Something like that ok?
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

two weeks ago i did upgrade to 1.1.1 but ended up downgrading again through the black screen recovery mode because i couldn't get the jailbreak working and ever since then its been at 1.0.2 with jailbreak and the phone has never been unlocked.

update: my iphone ran out of batteries and it displays "connect to power" and a picture of the empty battery and when i charge it through the usb drive it knows theres power coming through and says "charging...please wait". I am assuming now that something went wrong with my 30pin connector on the iphone because all my other usb devices work fine including an ipod nano and whenever i plug the iphone into another computer it gives me the same error message. Theoretically, would i be able to purchase this and just replace it? http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/i...oard/IF105-015 The 30 pin is on the logic board right? If i do change this out will apple be able to tell if i send this in for warranty in the future? Like IMEI numbers or any other numbers?

update again: Ok, i called apple support and after about 30 minutes they told me that something in the iphone is broken and the 30pin connector isn't making the connection with the iphone so my best bet is either visit an apple store or send it in for repair. But we all know i can't do that because the missing /bin screen keeps popping up everytime i reset my iphone. Oh and btw i didn't mention i got the missing /bin screen, just the yellow triangle screen. So any ideas? The way i see it now is i have 4 options. Buy a new iphone ($432), find, buy, and replace a new 8gb logic board ($250), find a way to get rid of the missing /bin screen and get it replaced/fixed at an apple store (free), or open it up and see if i can fix the "broken" connection between the 30pin and the iphone which i have no idea how to do it. Any more options that cost less than $250 is greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by bioxide; 10-28-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

dosent matter he in missing /sbin sh and /bin sh it need those to mount ...phone needs to be programmed

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    dosent matter he in missing /sbin sh and /bin sh it need those to mount ...phone needs to be programmed
    will replacing the logic board take care of the programming?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is replacing the logic board fixed the problem ?
    i have the same issue but for /usr not for /bin :-((

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have restored my iphone in 2.0 firmware and i tried to ctivate with iphone_2.0_unlock but after some seconds my iphone restarted and boot on recovery mod and now itunes can't recognize my iphone.
    how can i fix it
    please help
    help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hernz View Post
    try going into the blank screen recovery mode. i've always had greater luck this vs. the yellow triangle "!" mark mode.

1. have itunes open and iphone plugged in
    2. hold home and lock buttons, wait 10 seconds
    3. release lock and keep home held down
    4. iphone screen should be blacked out and itunes should recognize in recovery mode
    5. alt/shift click restore to 1.0.2 and start over again

good luck! i'm sure it is fine. although i havn't experience the same problem as you, this method has always saved my iphone when its in trouble. don't give up!!!
    Thank you so much! My phone was unable to even give me a boot logo, lighting up the screen with pure black... I tried so many times to get it to go into DFU mode, connecting to computer, etc, many solutions, and yours worked! I was so close to giving up and going to Apple (my phone is jailbroken, so who knows how that would have went )

THANK YOU!!