+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I manually install Summerboard Themes from Windows XP?

is a discussion within the

Windows Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
I'm a newb when it comes to modding or anything like that. I installed the installer app back in early September and have no problems installing summerboard themes from the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How do I manually install Summerboard Themes from Windows XP?
    I'm a newb when it comes to modding or anything like that. I installed the installer app back in early September and have no problems installing summerboard themes from the menu list (obviously, any tard could do that), but I've found a lot more themes on this site that I would like to install, but can't quite figure out how it is done.

I've spent the past few hours reading these forums for suggestions on installing Summerboard themes, and read that they should be installed at one place or another, but make no reference on HOW to install them. I've also read through some of the guides, but I'm more confused as to what to do than anything, and feel I'm going in the wrong direction.

I've downloaded several themes and they currently reside in .zip files on my Windows XP machine. My firmware version is also 1.0.2 as I've been hesitant from ugrading to 1.1.1 and jailbreaking my phone since I don't want to void my warranty by unlocking it. Aside from that, I'm completely lost as to where to move forward from here.

Do I need to install some kind of terminal program in order to communicate with my iPhone or to transfer files, etc, to and from my iPhone? If so, can someone please provide a link to this software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and my apologies for being a newb. Thanks in advance.

Retired Moderator arthursdomain's Avatar
    Thanks

let me address a few things.
    you pretty much voided yourself once you installed summerboard so your fine to upgrade to 1.1.1
    to get them into your phone, your going to need either ibrickr or a winscp type program, if you use ibrickr its just about moving a folder into another folder I believe the folder is something like \var\root\media\library\summerboard\theme\ (this may not be exact, but its close) and you move the folder with the theme in it into that folder. ie. folder name is My Theme and inside the My Theme folder there are the background.png and dock.png etc. just copy and paste from there. if your using a winscp program which will require a wifi connect, and ssh installed on your iphone.
    The easiest way is to use ibrickr at this point.
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

Thanks

If you get iPhoneBrowser, it has a menu shortcut for the SummerBoard themes location (/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes is correct) and you can drag and drop folders into there.

You must unzip the theme into a folder and then find the folder that contains the SummerBoard part of the theme - it will be the folder with Wallpaper.png and Dock.png included and should (may) have an Icons subfolder. Copy this theme folder into the iPhone.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

BradM73 (10-27-2007), shonjohn1000 (04-04-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help.

Arthursdomain. How do you mean I voided myself by installing summerboard? You mean voiding my warranty? LoL, I guess maybe so. But right now I can uninstall it all and easily put my phone back to it's untouched state, unless doing so messes up something else? The only thing I've ever manually installed was installer.app and then installed everything else from there.

Netmage. I tried installing the iPhoneBrowser but kept getting an error message about .NET2 framework. I ended up installing it, but the iPhoneBrowser just kept crashing after that and wouldn't load.

I'm really looking for more cool themes that arren't currently sources for installer.app. I also am not sure I want to upgrade to 1.1.1, because as I understand it, you HAVE to jailbreak the phone in order to get post 1.1.1 apps to work, and I'm not sure I'm yet comfortable with unlocking my phone and potentially screwing it up majorly.

Thanks again for the help. I'll go try your suggestions once more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BradM73 For This Useful Post:

shonjohn1000 (04-04-2008)

Thanks

I think you have a (serious) misunderstanding.

1. If you installed installer.app, using AppTapp for example, you have already jailbroken your phone and may have voided your warranty.

2. Jailbreaking the phone to install applications is not the same as unlocking the phone to use on a non-AT&T network.

Can you tell me the iPhoneBrowser crash messages? What version of iTunes do you have installed? What version of iPhoneBrowser?

Thanks

The problem is you need to update your .NET framework. I think it is out to version 3.0 now. Just go to the Microsoft Update page and update your system. Then uninstall the program, and reinstall it. It should work fine directly post action of those steps.

Reako

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reako For This Useful Post:

BradM73 (10-27-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Okay, after an buttload of issues, I think I finally have the iPhoneBrowser installed. I'm going to poke around with things and see if I can destroy anything.
    Last edited by BradM73; 10-27-2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I had the exact same question, but didn't ask, because I didn't want to sound ignorant, thanks for being braver than me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shonjohn1000 View Post
    I had the exact same question, but didn't ask, because I didn't want to sound ignorant, thanks for being braver than me

What version firmware are you on?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im a total newb at this but when i tried going here (/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes is correct) all i can get to is library after that theres these 2 others things but neither of them are summerboard. and my phone does have summerboard on it...so i was wondering how can i get to summerboard on iphonebrowser

Thanks

Assuming you are on firmware 1.1.3 or newer, the location is /var/mobile/Library, not /var/root... I need to release iPhoneBrowser with this fix at least...
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ah....confirmation on what I'd found too..that iPhoneBrowser's Fav link to the Summerboard themes is wrong (v.1.6.0)....and all I did was to drill down to the correct new folder (v1.1.4 on my iPhone) and then save that location as a Fav!

Should be fixed tho....imho...confuses more'n me it seems!

:-)

Jim

iPhone? More like MyPhone djgunner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    Assuming you are on firmware 1.1.3 or newer, the location is /var/mobile/Library, not /var/root... I need to release iPhoneBrowser with this fix at least...
    ty ty ty for that path info.

BUMP... sorry double post, but after I manually moved my themes into the directory using winscp... all was good until I issued a restart of springboard.. OMG. my iphone was in a death loop I got the earth background and my icons coming in, then it had the message about how to hold on one of the icons until it jiggles, then I can move them.. then after about 5 seconds it reloaded and did that all over again.. the icons come swooping in, then the message.. even after a reboot it was stuck in that loop.. I had no choice but to force the phone into hardware recovery mode, then reload the FW.. ugh! anyways.... not sure why that happened but I am scared to manually install my own themes now.

EDIT: DOH!!!!!!! I changed my root passwd... that's what killed my phone.. gah! color me stoopid. I am now very good at iphone recovery though. lol
    Last edited by djgunner; 08-15-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

question wheres summerboard for iphone 2.2.1 i have winterboard but the customaztion is weak instructions needed for installing thru wifi connection pleeeaaassse helpp me pleease helpp me please tahnk u kindly

Thanks
    Thanked 9,698 Times in 5,957 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a325pro2 View Post
    question wheres summerboard for iphone 2.2.1 i have winterboard but the customaztion is weak instructions needed for installing thru wifi connection pleeeaaassse helpp me pleease helpp me please tahnk u kindly
    Cydia has many themes and more, download them, they will show up in winterboard, place a check or tic by the app you want to use, exit and walaa.
    Winterboard works by priority, so say you are running a theme that has changed your MMS bubbles, and you see a theme in Cydia that you prefer for MMS, you simply stack that above the theme you are using.
    Winterboard is a very powerful tool for customization and will allow you to do some awesome things.
    Since you are on windoz, I suggest you use an SSH tool (Secure Shell)
    Download WinScp from here Here is a tutorial also. Learning to use SSH will open many other doors to mod your iPhone.
    Be specific on what you are trying to do and we can assist you more. Enjoy.............O.o