Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [GUIDE] Moving /Applications to /private/var/root to free up disk space

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bernie-Mac Quote:
    "Oh so when it says "press ctrl+t in winscp to open terminal" i just open the terminal app on my mac?"

Yes.

Sorry, don't know yet how to quote people correctly...

Just want to say thanks too, great guide worked great (on my 1.1.2 ootb)

I don't know if it helps, but whenever I do something like this to my phone i uninstall custimize and put my summerboard to default.. but i'm a little paranoid with everything so don't mind ;-)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to meisterlumpi For This Useful Post:

Bernie-Mac (01-08-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meisterlumpi View Post
    Bernie-Mac Quote:
    "Oh so when it says "press ctrl+t in winscp to open terminal" i just open the terminal app on my mac?"

Yes.
    Thank you sir

Ok I must be doing something wrong, when I open terminal and type the cp -R /applications..... Thing it says permission denied. Is there something I'm not doing? Help

edit: nvm got it
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 01-09-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iLive an iLife

There is now an app in the installer that will do all this for you. Just install it and it does the rest.

This worked very well, very easy. Thank you!

So with this , you can have alot more room or just a bit ? I didn't rly understand what it does does it move it to your space with the music and stuff ?

Quote Originally Posted by nkoul_96 View Post
    So with this , you can have alot more room or just a bit ? I didn't rly understand what it does does it move it to your space with the music and stuff ?
    yea...

the iphone's disk space is divided into two sections. a smaller one, for the system files and whatnot, and a bigger one for your music and photos and everything. basically what this process does is move your applications to the bigger section so you have much more room to install third party apps and creates a shortcut for the phone to use(much like a shortcut on your desktop to open a program).

as many have said, this process is now automated through a program available through Installer, called bosstools i believe. just install that and tell it to move your applications directory and it will take care of it for you.
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

I JUST UPDATET TO 1.1.3

So what is to do next to get my beloved alias application folder status back. Can I just repeat my steps or use the bosstool to do it?

Status Quo:

I have the Original Apple Apps in:
    /Applications

and I still have my ROOT_Applications Folder in the following path:
    /private/var/root/ROOT_Applications

I have a backup but still… I'd prefer not to use it, so when I'm repeating the moving process I guess my ROOT_Applications Folder would be overwritten…

I also remembered that there was something about that apple changed the root folde to a "mobile" folder.

Strictly spoken: I don't know what to do next and would be glad to receive a solution.

PS: Sorry for double posting… I tought this post in the Moving your Applications to the Media Partition-Thread wasn't send out.
    Last edited by pattulus; 01-27-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pattulus View Post
    I JUST UPDATET TO 1.1.3

So what is to do next to get my beloved alias application folder status back. Can I just repeat my steps or use the bosstool to do it?

Status Quo:

I have the Original Apple Apps in:
    /Applications

and I still have my ROOT_Applications Folder in the following path:
    /private/var/root/ROOT_Applications

I have a backup but still… I'd prefer not to use it, so when I'm repeating the moving process I guess my ROOT_Applications Folder would be overwritten…

I also remembered that there was something about that apple changed the root folde to a "mobile" folder.

Strictly spoken: I don't know what to do next and would be glad to receive a solution.

PS: Sorry for double posting… I tought this post in the Moving your Applications to the Media Partition-Thread wasn't send out.
    i'm not sure if this works with 1.1.3 yet...yes, i've also heard that the apps are either stored somewhere different or it's a different path to the media partition where your music and stuff is. i haven't upgraded to 1.1.3 yet and i doubt bosstool's program is updated to work with 1.1.3 yet either. you will probably need to delete your ROOT_Applications folder, though, and also delete the installer files so installer doesn't think you have the programs installed that are in that folder

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

can some one make an app i can download to do this automatically

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    can some one make an app i can download to do this automatically
    there already is an app to do this...as was stated a few posts up...it's called BossTools i believe, and is available through Installer

Guides:

can i do this on 1.1.4? I got my phone couple of days ago and already disk space warnings!!!

I have the same question for 1.1.4 Last night i tried it manually but think i messed up as i was reading one thing saying /var/root and another saying priv/var/root. Anyhow, i did the old one and ended up restoring. Then i tried Bosstools and then seemed to work but then icons dissapeared. Ended up restoring again. Now im just waiting on what is the BEST wayo to move apps in 1.1.4 jailbroken only. Thanks for any input.

this will work in 1.1.4 following the method outlined in the guide, i've done it myself multiple times and haven't had any issues. though, you may want to start putting /private/var/mobile instead of /private/var/root.

note that /var and /private/var are actually the same directory, using a link exactly like what is created in the guide. if you type /var in the commands instead of /private/var it will end up in the same root or mobile folder.

the /private/var/root folder is for 1.1.2 and earlier(i think). i know for a fact that 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 definitely have the /private/var/mobile folder, and you should use this instead. the guide has been updated accordingly

Guides:

Thank you so much

I've just done this too my iphone running 1.1.3, and have the following message come up now when I try to install new apps.....

Insufficient Permissions
    Installer was not installed correctly it should be run as root:wheel. we will continue but please remember that it may not function correctly.

Tried to change it back no joy same error message.

Tried to install any app comes up with Error Main script execution failed.

Please Help not sure what to do....

Kind Regards

Andrew

I fixed this by doing the following command:-
    chmod 4755 /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

Lozzer
    Last edited by lozzer; 06-17-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i did this. worked like a charm for the disk space but now installer stopped working saying it has insufficient permissions. not installed correctly. should be run as root:wheel.

what do i need to change for this

hi. can I use this for iphone 3g with 3.0 firmware?
    thankyou

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345