+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [GUIDE] Moving /Applications to /private/var/root to free up disk space

is a discussion within the

Windows Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
Originally Posted by senbe Its Not Working Step 3: Now we need to create the symlink which will trick the iPhone into thinking we never moved the /Applications directory. Go
    iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by senbe View Post
    Its Not Working

Step 3:
    Now we need to create the symlink which will trick the iPhone into thinking we never moved the /Applications directory. Go back to your terminal, and type in this command:
    Code:
    rm -rf /Applications && ln -s /private/var/root/ROOT_Applications /Applications

tried but its not removing the app folder

can any body tell me how to do this step 3
    I am having the same problem. All step up to this worked perfectly and I have the /var/root/ROOT_Applications directory with applications in it. When I put the command into WinSCP it gives me the error message "cannot remove directory /Applications: directory not empty" when I can clearly see that the folder is completely empty, except for the "folder: up" icon, could that cause the problem? EDIT: The parent directory icon shouldn't be the problem now that I think about it because I got the same error message when trying to input the command into Putty...
    Last edited by elr0y7; 12-17-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Green Apple
    Thanks

many thanks for this, took 7 mins forme to do and i never do this kind of stuff Also makes it easier to copy and paste commands, thats what i did.

Thanks
    i'm on 1.1.1 and had used anysim to unlock after jailbreak. works great.....no problem at all

Thanks

Doing this later today on the wifes phone. Thanks!

Thanks

i wanna do this but i donno if theres a terminal entry system for cyberduck. i have a mac and i looked all over in cyberduck to be able to input commands but there isnt. what program should i use for this? i really wanna use cyberduck. anyone do it with that?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Oh Dang!!!!
    Ok i kinda made a boo boo i name it ROOT_Application instead of ROOT_Applications is that important on not. But it did copy do what it as suppose to do until i renamed it to ROOT_Applications through mobile finder now i can;t see my home screen icons.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi,

I've moved my Applications to the private/var folder and noted an increase in the disk space. However, I've noted that there is still around 265mb of stuff sitting around on the disk0s1 partition. Is there a way to further move these stuff to the media partition? Maybe the BSD subsystem files, etc.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chinpokimon View Post
    Ok i kinda made a boo boo i name it ROOT_Application instead of ROOT_Applications is that important on not. But it did copy do what it as suppose to do until i renamed it to ROOT_Applications through mobile finder now i can;t see my home screen icons.
    it doesn't matter what you name the new Applications directory as long as you link it to whatever you name it...so if you used ROOT_Application you should have used that for the second step where it links to that folder. if it worked before renaming to ROOT_Applications, just rename it back to ROOT_Application using winSCP or whatever program you used to do this in originally.

Quote Originally Posted by zero1983 View Post
    Hi,

I've moved my Applications to the private/var folder and noted an increase in the disk space. However, I've noted that there is still around 265mb of stuff sitting around on the disk0s1 partition. Is there a way to further move these stuff to the media partition? Maybe the BSD subsystem files, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    i'm sure that you could...but there really isn't a need to...after going through this guide all your apps are on the media partition which gives you more space to install apps. technically you can do this with any directory, just substitute the proper names in the commands. i wouldn't recommend doing this, though...as i said, it's not really necessary. after moving the apps you'll have more than enough room to install anything else on the disk0s1 partition if you need to.
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

Green Apple
    Thanks

worked thanks!

Thanks

Worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!
    Edit: Found an Applications folder in ROOT_Applications is this normal?
    Last edited by Zach23; 12-31-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zach23 View Post
    Worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!
    Edit: Found an Applications folder in ROOT_Applications is this normal?
    is the Applications folder the only thing in the ROOT_Applications folder, or is the Applications folder in there with all your other apps? if it's the latter it should be ok...though it didn't do that for me lol.

end result, you should have a shortcut arrow placed on the main /Applications folder, and then ROOT_Applications should contain all of your app folders

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

Developer
    Thanks

You guys could always just install bosstool and click "move applications". It fixes fstab issues also.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    You guys could always just install bosstool and click "move applications". It fixes fstab issues also.
    mind telling us where this might be found? and when it came out? i've not heard of it...i wrote this guide a few months ago

Guides:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rianbattle For This Useful Post:

gastonm (01-03-2008)

Developer
    Thanks

Its in development still but the move folders features have been stable for a long time. You can get it in my installer http://sleepers.net/iphonerepo
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rianbattle View Post
    mind telling us where this might be found? and when it came out? i've not heard of it...i wrote this guide a few months ago
    ^^^Thanks for this guide it work fine for me!

iPhone? More like MyPhone gastonm's Avatar
    Thanks

I have heard that you can't rearrange icons in customize after doing this. Is this true? Anyone tried it?

Also anyone tried Bosstool in installer? It supposedly does the same thing.
    JESUS CHRIST SAVES

Unlocked Tmobile

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gastonm View Post
    I have heard that you can't rearrange icons in customize after doing this. Is this true? Anyone tried it?

Also anyone tried Bosstool in installer? It supposedly does the same thing.
    a) you still will be able to rearrange your icons

b) I also wonder if Bosstool is good for this job. matter of fact I like to know what I've done and how to revert the steps. By doing this manually I don't have to worry about it. BUT IF this little tool is working fine with the latest firmware and possibily will work fine with coming firmwares… why not? but who knows.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

how do you open terminal in cyberduck? i cant figure it out
    iLive an iLife

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    how do you open terminal in cyberduck? i cant figure it out
    Terminal is an os application. You find it in the utilities folder.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pattulus View Post
    Terminal is an os application. You find it in the utilities folder.
    Oh so when it says "press ctrl+t in winscp to open terminal" i just open the terminal app on my mac?
    iLive an iLife